Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2015, 07:45 AM   #1

Banks power pack came today! '97 F53 chassis

Howdy - my Banks Power Pack system finally came in yesterday. It's the whole system that includes the stainless steel headers, exhaust, and ram air intake. It was kind of an ordeal buying it but that's a whole different story. I have a list of maintenepqnce and upgrades that I'm doing to my '97 36' Aerbus on the F53 chassis w/460. The list includes the banks system, Koni shocks all around, new plugs and wires, new coil, pcv, rear diff fluid change, rear sway bar bushings replacement, new rear brakes with brake fluid change and an alignment. I might add a safe t plus steering stabilizer and rear trac bar and new Michelins as well this spring. I enjoy pumping new life into older vehicles as a hobby and own several vintage classic vehicles as well as a couple of restored RV's so it's more of the personal satisfaction as I'll never get the money back. I'll keep y'all posted of the progress as we go. Happy holidays!
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2015, 12:37 PM   #2

Make sure and install the left frame rail heat shield AFTER you install the left header. Things are kind of tight on the left side.
You may have to get out the torch to loosen the EGR & AIR fittings on the left manifold. Removing the fitting on the EGR valve will help.

Richard
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS7201 View Post
Make sure and install the left frame rail heat shield AFTER you install the left header. Things are kind of tight on the left side.
You may have to get out the torch to loosen the EGR & AIR fittings on the left manifold. Removing the fitting on the EGR valve will help.

Richard
Thanks Richard! I appreciate all the tips and advice that I can get!
Old 11-30-2015, 01:53 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi 70's.
Headers will really wake up that old 460.
Getting the old manifold bolts out can be tricky and you may find one or more already broken. I was lucky and they all came out in one piece. Just go slow.
The EGR fitting on the manifold may be permanently fused in place (like mine was) and new ones are priced like gold at the dealer. I found a NOS (new old stock) fitting on eBay for a reasonable price.
I might still have record of the part number for that and the tube if you need it.
Best of luck and keep us updated!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:58 PM   #5

I have a real problem with Banks. I sent them an email requesting information on one of their specific products and never got a reply back, but man have they spammed me with product emails I am not interested in. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
I have a real problem with Banks. I sent them an email requesting information on one of their specific products and never got a reply back, but man have they spammed me with product emails I am not interested in. Chuck
Chuck, I did too. I wAs rather disgusted with trying to deal with the factory sales person. I couldn't get a straight price from him and he was rather rude. I emailed, left messages and spoke to the guy 2 times. I almost didn't buy it because I was turned off by the whole experience. I finally bought the power pack from Jegs since they are an authorized dealer so Banks will provide support and the warranty. Jegs price matched another online seller so I got the whole power pack for $1880 and free shipping.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
Hi 70's.
Headers will really wake up that old 460.
Getting the old manifold bolts out can be tricky and you may find one or more already broken. I was lucky and they all came out in one piece. Just go slow.
The EGR fitting on the manifold may be permanently fused in place (like mine was) and new ones are priced like gold at the dealer. I found a NOS (new old stock) fitting on eBay for a reasonable price.
I might still have record of the part number for that and the tube if you need it.
Best of luck and keep us updated!
Nick, thNks for the heads up on the EGR fitting. My passenger side manifold has the infamous broken bolts and I was going to just have that repaired but after thinking about it, I decided to just go for it and get the headers and power pack and not have to deal with broken bolts again. It seems like most people that went with the banks on the old 460, really liked the results so I'm excited to see how it turns out. I'll let you know if I need that part number. Thanks!
Old 11-30-2015, 10:06 PM   #8

I am planning on putting headers on mine this spring, I have at least 1 broken bolt on the right side. Its a 98 Winnebago on a 1997 f53 with the 460. Still looking at what kind to put on the banks is a lot of money for this old of MH but do plan on keeping it a while. Was also looking at Doug Thorley tri-y headers.
kysportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:08 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had a '98 Santara with the 460, had CW install a Banks kit. Never noticed any mileage gains but it did wake the engine up.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthe70s View Post
Chuck, I did too. I wAs rather disgusted with trying to deal with the factory sales person. I couldn't get a straight price from him and he was rather rude. I emailed, left messages and spoke to the guy 2 times. I almost didn't buy it because I was turned off by the whole experience. I finally bought the power pack from Jegs since they are an authorized dealer so Banks will provide support and the warranty. Jegs price matched another online seller so I got the whole power pack for $1880 and free shipping.
Thanks for the info. I will check with them. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:41 PM   #11

Time for an update of my progress. The Koni shocks were installed all around but not on the tag. Konis are pricey but money well spent. Rides and handles like a dream. It even helped Improve the braking. I couldn't be happier. The banks system is installed. WOW, what a difference to the ol 460. No more exhaust leak and so much more torque. Honestly, it's like a different MH. Some of the old exhaust was so crimped that I don't know how it breathed. The banks system also has the ram air intake And big exhaust. Best money I have spent on the MH and it was pricey. Sounds awesome too. New 5.1 brake fluid exchange. New Michelin XPS rib tires on the drive axle as the old ones were 13 years old. New rear sway bar bushings installed as the old ones were gone. Complete tuneup with new Motorcraft plugs, wires, pvc, coil, dist. Cap and rotor. It had developed a small hesitation upon acceleration from a dead stop but now gone. Decided to install a new progressive dynamics power converter as the old magnatek was buzzing quite a bit. New one is much quieter and doesn't go on as much. I thought I had fixed the fuel tank leak but apparently I didn't so I had to drop it and have a shop re-weld the seams. I hope this works. Replaced the chassis battery with a new Interstate battery. Also upgraded the kitchen faucet from the ugly plastic one to a new, modern metal faucet. Believe it or not, replacing that darn faucet was one of the biggest PITA tasks. It took 3 hours for a variety of reasons but mostly because there is no room to work.

I am thrilled with all of the maintenance and upgrades. Driving this MH now is a real pleasure. Much improved power and handling. Next, I am going to replace the rear diff. Fluid with synthetic and take it for an alignment. I might also install a Fantastic vent fan in the kitchen area as well as replace the toilet with a new higher profile one. Oh, one of the rear hydraulic jacks is leaking so I'll take a look at that. I'll be taking it out for the Memorial Day weekend and then taking it up to the lake where it will sit for some of the summer. Then we have a few trips planned for the summer through September.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:17 PM   #12

There is a tag on one of the differential bolts that clearly states "75W140 synthetic". If you have the original Ford chassis manual, it recommends fluid change at 100,000 miles. Also be prepared for no gasket. Use something like Permatex gear oil RTV sealant. You can also use the same RTV sealant on the axle flanges, if you ever have to pull an axle.

Richard
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:04 AM   #13

Do your transmission cooling fans come on more often now with the more powerfull engine? Mine -on same year 36' Aerbus - start buzzing all the time if I push the (standard) engine on ascends, which worries me because I burned one transmission early on while towing on hilly highways through PA and NJ. More power definitely sounds interesting to me if the transmission can deal with it without risking problems.
Josstoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josstoop View Post
Do your transmission cooling fans come on more often now with the more powerfull engine? Mine -on same year 36' Aerbus - start buzzing all the time if I push the (standard) engine on ascends, which worries me because I burned one transmission early on while towing on hilly highways through PA and NJ. More power definitely sounds interesting to me if the transmission can deal with it without risking problems.
The new banks system hasn't effected the cooling nor the frequency of the fan clutch operating. Matter of fact, it seems to engage less with the new set up. Perhaps with the new system, it runs a whole lot better, smoother, and with more power so the engine may be less strained.?

Tags
chassis, f53, power