Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2016, 08:12 PM   #1

Banks Power Products for V10

I recently purchased a 1999 30' Itasca Class C with the Ford V10 (40k miles) and am considering adding Banks equipment for the intake and exhaust. Anyone out there have experience with this application? My other option is to go to a K&E intake along with a hi-flow Cat and exhaust system. I'm wondering if I would get the same performance increase with either.

Just looking for information and ideas from your experiene.
Thanks
dalethewolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2016, 06:39 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalethewolfe View Post
I recently purchased a 1999 30' Itasca Class C with the Ford V10 (40k miles) and am considering adding Banks equipment for the intake and exhaust. Anyone out there have experience with this application? My other option is to go to a K&E intake along with a hi-flow Cat and exhaust system. I'm wondering if I would get the same performance increase with either.

Thanks
If you have the original air intake, I would highly recommend the air intake system. I put it on mine and have been through some major rain storms with no problems.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:19 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalethewolfe View Post

Thanks
I have a 2006 class A with the v10 and while at a rally a few years back a company called 5 star tuning had a seminar. I bought thier tuner not cheap at $440 but well worth the money spent. On my way to the Atlanta rally from Florida every overpass while in cruise the trans would down shift which became quite annoying so i turned cruise off. 5 star tuning claims 30 hp and 39 fp torque gain which i was hesitant to believe. What a difference on my return home, kept it in cruise and it just went over with little loss in speed and no downshift. For the added performance it was money well spent. My fuel economy also got slightly better at almost 1 more mpg.
It was suggested to me by 5 star tuning to modify my exhaust as my right side exhaust right after the header made this crazy U turn. I went to a local muffler shop and for $150 they took the U turn out and made a straight shot to the next pipe. Again a slight improvement but no where near the tune.
A year later I put the banks ram air induction in. I've done a few trips with it and feel no seat of the pants improvement in performance or mpg. But has to help.

I'm getting 8 3/4 mpg with my 31 foot class A, 18,000 gvw and flat towing a Ford Fusion hybrid (or) 2010 Ford ranger with and Ultra Classic in the bed.

link to 5 star Tuning

http://5startuning.com/product/ford-...-flash-device/
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:34 PM   #4

I can't speak for the V10 but I have a '97 460 V8 in my Aerbus and installed the Banks power pack system which included the headers, exhaust, and intake and it was money well spent from a performance perspective. Runs extremely smooth and quiet. I can really feel the additional power. It's like driving a new motorhome. Good luck with your application!
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:55 AM   #5

Thanks for the input

Thanks to all who provided input to my post. As it turns my current 3" exhaust system should be pretty free flowing so I am not spending the extra bucks there. For now I have decided to go with the K&N intake/air filter system and the 5 Star Tune. I'll give that a try and see what I get.
Thanks
Dale
dalethewolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:51 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
i'm in the process of turning in my 06 georgie boy pursuit triton V10 for a four winds magallan with a triton v10. Took the 5 star tuner and brought the pursuit back to original factory tune so i could re tune my new to me 09 magallan with the RV daily tow tune I had before. Nice to know that money well spent will cary over. Not so much for the banks ram air system that goes to a new owner. luckily the dealer leaves all documentation with the rv. If the new owner reads my information they will see the added performance in my log.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post
I have a 2006 class A with the v10 and while at a rally a few years back a company called 5 star tuning had a seminar. I bought thier tuner not cheap at $440 but well worth the money spent. On my way to the Atlanta rally from Florida every overpass while in cruise the trans would down shift which became quite annoying so i turned cruise off. 5 star tuning claims 30 hp and 39 fp torque gain which i was hesitant to believe. What a difference on my return home, kept it in cruise and it just went over with little loss in speed and no downshift. For the added performance it was money well spent. My fuel economy also got slightly better at almost 1 more mpg.
It was suggested to me by 5 star tuning to modify my exhaust as my right side exhaust right after the header made this crazy U turn. I went to a local muffler shop and for $150 they took the U turn out and made a straight shot to the next pipe. Again a slight improvement but no where near the tune.
A year later I put the banks ram air induction in. I've done a few trips with it and feel no seat of the pants improvement in performance or mpg. But has to help.

I'm getting 8 3/4 mpg with my 31 foot class A, 18,000 gvw and flat towing a Ford Fusion hybrid (or) 2010 Ford ranger with and Ultra Classic in the bed.

link to 5 star Tuning

0. 1997-2017 Ford 6.8L V10 RV / Motor Home ONLY! 5 Star Tuning X4 with the 5 Star Tune Preloaded On Device for 1997-2015 - 5 Star Tuning
Bruce,
I did the same mods in the same order. Just called 5star regarding any updates on the tune. They advised since I did the tune first and later installed the CAI and Exhaust (Banks Stinger) the tune must be updated to perform appropriately with the new mods. They updated my tune and it runs a lot better.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:56 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Not understanding what your CAI upgrade is. When i searched banks web site for stinger they listed systems that included an intake kit (ram air?) and a performance muffler. What year f53 chassis do you have and which stinger system did you get?
After the muffler shop took that U turn out that i had on my 2004 they suggested that i could remove the catalytic converter as my o2 sensor was before it. I did that and wish i never did. I felt NO improvement and the exhaust noise was much louder, That said i will be reluctant to change my exhaust on my new to me 2009 magellan.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:27 AM   #9

I love the improvement the 5Star Tune gave our moho. Mainly the shifting but also the increase in hp and tq. Just did trip from California to Utah and back and could feel the difference even towing our Wrangler. Got 1-1.5 mpg better than last years trip.
Crabb E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post
Not understanding what your CAI upgrade is. When i searched banks web site for stinger they listed systems that included an intake kit (ram air?) and a performance muffler. What year f53 chassis do you have and which stinger system did you get?
After the muffler shop took that U turn out that i had on my 2004 they suggested that i could remove the catalytic converter as my o2 sensor was before it. I did that and wish i never did. I felt NO improvement and the exhaust noise was much louder, That said i will be reluctant to change my exhaust on my new to me 2009 magellan.
I have a 2008 F53, same as your 2009.

The CAI is part of the Banks Stinger System, exhaust (Cat-back) and intake (I referred to the ram air as a CAI). And as previously posted the new intake is positioned much cleaner and rainproof.

I think there was only 1 Stinger System. Mine does not include headers. Some had suggested the later V10 (ours) had nice exhaust manifolds and headers would not make much difference.

IMO The biggest difference was the 5star tuner especially the trans programming. The stinger complimented the performance but frankly not sure it was worth the $.

I Haven't really noticed a significant increase in mileage. most of my driving includes towing. I average 7.5-8 towing a mid size GM pick-up, just under 5000#. I was expecting a better increase of MPG, but I won't complain.

After the Stinger and tune I did notice I can let off the throttle a bit without losing speed. The rpms lower a tad, the engine quiets a bit and it seems there is less back pressure.

I actually haven't gotten used to that yet. I find myself heavy footed due to the feeling of having more power. I hope the more I become accustom to driving with the latest mod my MPG will increase.

If those simple things make you happy, you'll definitely like the tune and possibly the Stinger.

hopes this helps

Vato

Tags
power, v10