Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2013, 05:09 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I would take it back to the mechanic that worked on it already . If you have been dealing with him for a long time he is going to try to help you . I know that I would .

Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
Batteries can be replaced anywhere in this country if/when they fail.
IMO, needlessly replacing 6 batteries, (at nearly $100 a pop), is awfully EXPENSIVE INSURANCE!
Have you ever had a chassis battery short out and take the alternator with it and have to wait till one could be ordered on a Monday? I have. Think batteries are expensive, buy an alternator out in the middle of no where and have it rush delivered to Tom and Dicks Farm Supply and sometimes Auto Parts store and their idea of rush is 3 days. Yep, being cheap can ruin a trip. So in my world if there is any question about the batteries they are HISTORY.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:24 AM   #17

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
mechanics

I just dont understand having problems with mechanics. I ask for a diagnosis and estimate up front. If they keep swapping out parts til they fix it, or don't get it fixed per their estimate, its their problem. They are supposed to be professionals. If they keep calling back to add more parts or things found "wrong", I will pay for their diagnostics time and walk. (Even though their diagnostic skills suck.) I am firm and polite. Since when is it being picky to expect people to do what they say.
taxiboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxiboo View Post
I just dont understand having problems with mechanics. I ask for a diagnosis and estimate up front. If they keep swapping out parts til they fix it, or don't get it fixed per their estimate, its their problem. They are supposed to be professionals. If they keep calling back to add more parts or things found "wrong", I will pay for their diagnostics time and walk. (Even though their diagnostic skills suck.) I am firm and polite. Since when is it being picky to expect people to do what they say.

I'd agree, except RV's are a different animal than a production auto or truck. While the 'mechanics' of the drive train might be standard, the rest is often cobbled together. 'Identical' models can have different wiring and placement of some features. Add to that the errant screw piercing a wire bundle, mixing of chassis and house wiring, owner's 'customizing' and you end up with a nightmare of access and complexity a 'stock' vehicle doesn't come close to touching. The fact that some issues require 'throwing parts' at it until they solve the problem is a losing proposition is why many repair shops don't want an RVer's business. Add to that the problem of tracking grease or dirt into the 'house' trying to access mechanics and you add a new issue.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #19

Red face Thanks to All

I cranked up this morning using my house batteries and drove to another mechanic and told him the history (my "trusted" mechanic telling me my battery checked out okay but that I had a battery drain, which he took two weeks to locate) and this new mechanic checked the battery and said it was so dead he couldn't even get a reading on it and since it was four years old he recommended a new stronger battery than the one in it. He put it in, checked for drain and there was none and alternator checked okay, so all's well (hopefully).

I am extremely disappointed in my original mechanic as I have always trusted him to treat me right, but how much trust can I put in a professional mechanic who doesn't even recognize a bad battery?

Thanks for all the replies. I am learning a lot from all you guys. Keep up the good work!!!!
smiybrneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
I wouldn't shoot the first mechanic yet. The test of the battery at the RV shop had reported 66%, so it had some capacity to hold a charge. The mechanic fixed wiring, contacted manufacturer and determined cheaper work around parasitic drain. He then determined no alternator was needed. Perhaps he decided battery was just in need of a charge, not replacement. (A properly maintained battery that hasn't been discharged too low should last longer than 4 years) It sometimes can be very difficult to determine a battery is bad. I had to 'abuse' GMC road service to get them to replace the battery in a van once. It would suddenly go from 90% charge to dead in minutes. Turned out to have an internal short. I'd witnessed this, but GMC dealer wouldn't agree, claimed battery was 'within specs.' I would drive it until it died, then get it towed to shop. After 3 cycles like this, GMC tried to refuse service, said I'd exceeded number of service calls. I told them that since GMC said nothing was wrong after each trip to their shop, the meter on towing had been reset. They decided to replace the battery and no more issues. Sounds like your mechanic was pretty conservative and did necessary repairs and didn't try to replace parts not needed, except the battery, which as I said, is easy to miss.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
The 0riginal 6 batteries, (2 12v, chassis an 4 12v deep cycle, house), lasted ELEVEN YEARS.
The 6 that I am currently using are SIX YEARS OLD.
Mel
'96 Safari Sahara
Yep, batteries, if taken care of properly and the charging circuit works correctly can last quite a while.
Our OEM Interstate U-2200's went one month under 10 years, and even then I replaced them while still functioning. Was headed out for a trip and didn't want trouble with them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:33 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiybrneyes View Post
I cranked up this morning using my house batteries and drove to another mechanic and told him the history (my "trusted" mechanic telling me my battery checked out okay but that I had a battery drain, which he took two weeks to locate) and this new mechanic checked the battery and said it was so dead he couldn't even get a reading on it and since it was four years old he recommended a new stronger battery than the one in it. He put it in, checked for drain and there was none and alternator checked okay, so all's well (hopefully).

I am extremely disappointed in my original mechanic as I have always trusted him to treat me right, but how much trust can I put in a professional mechanic who doesn't even recognize a bad battery?

Thanks for all the replies. I am learning a lot from all you guys. Keep up the good work!!!!
Did he charge you for testing ? I bet the first guy wouldn't have .All I am saying is that it is usually cheaper to go back to the guy that started the Job. If that was me all you would have paid for the second time is the new battery at cost. No labor .
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #23

Hi Darrel,

My original mechanic had kept it for two weeks repairing wires (see original post) and looking for battery drain. When I picked it up, he said he had fixed the battery drain. However, when I called him the next morning and told him the battery was dead again, he said I would have to bring it back and plan to leave it with him for an indefinite period of time. I asked if he was sure it wasn't just that I needed a new battery and he said no, and it will take a long time to locate the problem.

The new mechanic told me that the battery in it was too small (weak?) for my engine....that it didn't even sit properly (possibly the reason it only lasted four years?). This new mechanic is my son's trusted mechanic. In and out in 15 minutes instead of leaving it for an indefinite period of time. So, even if it did cost more, it was worth it to me to not have the inconvenience of getting a ride to leave it and pick it up.

I'm not totally done with my original mechanic and will have no problem going to him again in the future. Truth be told, he probably just had too much work backed up and couldn't get to me right away. But, I have always felt he treats me fairly, he just missed the mark this time.
smiybrneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Look - a battery drain is an issue that's easy to determine. With an amp meter, you could see it yourself in the time it takes to disconnect the battery.

Determining how "dead" a batter is.. well, it's difficult. % charge means nothing. You need to have it charged overnight (or quick charged) then load test it. Otherwise you're guessing.

I think your original mechanic treated you OK... You'd have been just as disappointed if he wanted to install a new battery that you didn't need... Turns out in this case, you needed one.

cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery