Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2016, 03:22 PM   #1

Best Chassis Battery - CCA?

Anyone got suggestions on the cold cranking amp rating we should have on the F53 Chassis battery? My rig came with a marine deep cycle battery for the chassis with 600 CCA. It is getting old and I am thinking of going to a conventional battery, just not sure what CCA to use? I would probably go with a Walmart offering since my coach batteries both came from W-mart.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2016, 03:28 PM   #2

My original battery was 700 CCA, and I had to replace it two months ago. I bought an Interstate at Costco for $89, which has 850 CCA(I think, but at least 800). It was the same battery size as the original, and the exact same battery Sears had for $169. At Costco they give you a 42 month free replacement no matter what you put it in. At Sears and a lot of the Auto Parts Stores, they only give you 18 months free replacement if they know it is going in a MH. So far this battery is working great and everything is working and charging as it should.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:33 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Different rig and much higher capacity needed but we've got 4 - 925 CCA starting batteries. I bought new ones last year from a Freightliner dealer for less than $90 each. They seem to be a Group 31 size.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:49 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our PA had marine type battery. I replaced with largest that would fit in the tray Walmart marine battery.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:33 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
The final recommendation should be get what you can afford and what will fit in the battery holder. Beyond that there's really nothing to deal with except if you decided to go with a battery that is not a standard type replacement like the AGM's and such.

The higher the rating CCA (cold cranking amps) the longer the battery will supply current without needing charged.

Marine batteries are designed to do a slow or low amperage discharge over a long period of time. Such as running lights and/or a trolling motor. They are also designed to handle the heavy pounding over water that a boat would give it.

A regular engine cranking battery is designed for a large discharge starter motor (150 amps) for a short time period. If either of those batteries are used in the wrong application it will shorten or effect the life of the battery. If one uses a cranking battery to run a trolling motor it will work but the standard battery can't handle the rough boat ride or the slow discharge as well at a marine battery. The same for the other battery.

TeJay
Old 06-20-2016, 06:38 PM   #6

I have not heard of anyone using a marine battery on the chassis but I can see some benefits. They hold charge better than a standard battery and they can handle a discharge better also. They do not have the high amp burst that a conventional chassis battery has but unless you start your engine all the time it may not make much difference. Hence why they are put in boats. They can have some high compression ratios too.

I do try to get the largest CCA I can afford though. So 750-950 to me would be good. If you can make sure you have enough burst amperage you will be doing your starter a favor. 600 CCA obviously works but most cars have batteries that size. Not trucks.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:59 AM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
My Costco battery is 850 CCA.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:24 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Because we have Interstate dealers all over where I roam at the first sign of battery failure, like slow cranking, I replace. Normally at about 5 years, go to the Interstate store and say " put in the biggest that fits". There is some cost difference but it is minimal over the life of the battery. And to me when I'm miles from phone service an oops from me for any reason and I'm covered.

LEN
Old 06-21-2016, 09:23 PM   #9

Thanks everyone! I will probably go with a Costco battery if I can get over the nearest store (about an hour from here one-way). Cheers

Tags
battery, chassis