Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #1

Bilstein steering stabilizer

Been reading up on steering stabilizers and decided I want to add one to my 98 bounder, which has a factory one on it now. It drives pretty decent but does wander a bit. With the prices for Safe t steer, roadmaster, true center, I decided to leave it stock. Then a local safe t steer dealer said try the bilstein stabilizer. According to him, it will be noticeably better than stock. But he out of stock. Long story short I finally found one in stock and ordered it today.
Anyone have experience with the bilstein?
burgman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed one my 35' Dolphin, didn't have one. Didn't help much, took it off and installed the Blue Ox TruCenter. TruCenter works great, went from two handed steering most of the time to one handed steering most of the time. If yours handles ok now it may work fine for you. How long is your coach?

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #3

Our bounder is 36 ft with tag axle. I've driven it a total of 75 miles with 75% of that interstate. My dad has driven it to beach, 400 miles round trip. He had a wandering issure. But now he thinks part of problem was him. He not looking far enough down the road. If he can get better at that and if stabilizer helps a little bit then he will be happier. As will I.
burgman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #4

I replaced my worn out original one with a Bilstein and it works great. Stopped the front end wander.
rlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:55 AM   #5

I hope the stablizer arrives in time for me to install it prior to our trip a week from today. Looking forward to posting a positive report!
Old 08-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #6

I've got a Bilstein stabilizer. My MH did not come with a stablizer and at about 30,000 miles it started to occasionally go into a horrendous shimmy. Bilstein cured the problem. It cost less than $150 and was easy to install.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #7

It was hard to find the bilstein. Spoke with them and they are changing manufacturing plants so should be mid November before they begin to send them to dealers. Finally found one with the old part # online. According to bilstein, it is no different than the new part #
Old 08-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Prior to installing ANY steering stabilzer, weight the coach, adjust the tire pressure accordingly, ensure the wheel alignment is recent done, drive the coach to notice any change THEN install the stablizer if needed. Most driving conditions start with one or a combination of tire pressure and alignment. Steering stablizers will not correct for loose steering components, camber and caster issues, or tire pressure. JM2¢...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Replaced the stock stabilizer on our class A (Ford 53 frame) with a Bilstein at the same time as all the shocks - works great - turned driving into a single hand event even in the wind and when commercial trucks pass us.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #10

Wow, FedEx delivered the stabilizer today! And I ordered it yesterday and paid 11 bucks for regular shipping?
Is it ok to post where I got it from?
Old 08-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #11

Yes please I have been thinking about the same thing
Old 08-25-2013, 05:19 AM   #12

I hope this is ok.
I ordered the stabilizer from Adventurerv.net for 128 bucks on friday. Paid 11 for ground regular shipping and lo and behold FedEx dropped it off the next day. I gotta give adventure RV kudos for that.

FYI, There is an old part # (adventure has this one) and a new part #. Camping world lists the new part #, but no store has one in stock. According to bilstein, there is no difference in the parts.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #13

Thanks I will give them a call!
Old 08-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPICoaster View Post
Replaced the stock stabilizer on our class A (Ford 53 frame) with a Bilstein at the same time as all the shocks - works great - turned driving into a single hand event even in the wind and when commercial trucks pass us.
X2---Bilstein Shocks & Stablizer with the same great results.. Jim

Tags
steering