Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2015, 07:44 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Brake and turn signal not working at the trailer plug

I have turn and brake lights at the back of the motorhome and power to the running lights on the trailer. I have not been able to check the power to the trailer brakes just yet.

There is no power to the right and left side turn signal pins on the motorhome plug.

This is a Winnebago and there is a bundle of 10 or so yellow wires running toward the front of the frame but no way to differentiate which is which.

Is there a fuse somewhere that would power only the turn and brake lights or is there a way that a bad flasher would cause problems with the brake light circuit as well as the turn signals.

Thanks in advance for any help
Mike
Divide Wee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2015, 05:39 AM   #2

Mike-

What year and model Winnie do you own?

Winnebago supplies wiring diagrams via this Web site:

Wiring Diagrams

I'd start by downloading the set for my coach and finding the circuits feeding the rear signals through the plug.

Mark
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:58 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
It's a 2007 29R.

The diagrams don't seem to help much as it is hard to determine exactly where the various connectors are. Due to the wires all being the same color, size and with the same markings, it is hard to trace them back to their source.

I was hoping someone may have been trough this themselves and might have a possible solution or a place to look for the break in connectivity.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:10 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Divide Wee, look at the drawings in the link below sheet 3. Each of the yellow wires has a wire number on it. The last 2 or 3 letters correspond to the wiring diagram. Follow the other link to the wire id guide and wiring diagram help. There is separate fuses for the trailer plug.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_156369.pdf
Wiring Diagrams
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:22 AM   #5

It appears the diagram for which gtharris provided a link contains pages for motorhomes built on both the Ford and Workhorse chassis:

Sheets 1 and 3: Ford chassis ("FD")
Sheets 2 and 4: Workhorse chassis ("WH")

So, Mike, which chassis does your 29R use?

With that information we can help you work back through the diagrams, if you haven't found the cause already with gtharris' note on the numbering.

I understand Ford wiring from working on our former Class C, but am willing to do the detective work on the Workhorse side if needed.

Mark
Old 09-14-2015, 10:49 AM   #6

Mike-

If it's a Ford chassis, the fuse you want to check can be found in the Power Distribution Box (PDB), position 22. See page 15 of the attached file.

I can't tell you where to find the PDB on your coach, but I expect it will be under the hood, on the right (facing the rear), or under the dash, on the left (facing the front), mounted to the firewall (not the one behind the driver's kick panel door).

That fuse feeds one relay each for the left and right side trailer lights. If you have a chassis manual in the pile you got with the coach, it should tell you where those relays are, either on the Power Distribution Box or the Ford Fuse Panel (also shown on page 15). Of course, if the fuse is the problem and you replace it, you should hear those two relays clicking (and the trailer lights blinking) and find them that way (for future reference).

If it's a Workhorse chassis, never mind!

Mark
Attached Files
File Type: pdf f5306mtrhm.pdf (938.9 KB, 228 views)
Old 09-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
It is a Ford chassis.

I can't seem to find the second fuse panel with the #22 slot. It is not under the hood and I may have to disassemble the dash to get to it when I finally locate it. There is a removable section behind the dash display but I can't see any panel from there. I will remove the driver seat to get a better angle at the bottom of the dash but can't see anything as of yet. I find it hard to believe that Winnebago would hide a fuse panel this well.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:40 PM   #8

Mike-

Don't take the seat(s) out. I'm looking at the documentation now, but until I get an answer there I'd bet with 90+ percent certainty that the PDB is inside the engine compartment.

Mark
Old 09-14-2015, 12:53 PM   #9

Mike-

There are several relays in the PDB. Try this: Open the front hood. Have someone turn the headlight switch on and off. Listen for the trailer running lamps relay to open and close. Find the source of the clicking sound and you should find the PDB.

Mark
Old 09-14-2015, 12:57 PM   #10

Mike-

From another iRV2 thread:

"For those who may encounter this same problem - the centre (underhood) fuse panel which is labeled power distribution centre is locked closed by a tab located on the right side at the lower edge. Although the cover is clearly labeled PULL with arrows indicating direction, the cover lifts outward from the right. The fuse is #22 and is a MAXI type."

Still looking for a Winnebago drawing that shows where they installed the PDB. I hope these latest posts help, in the meantime.

Mark
Old 09-14-2015, 01:11 PM   #11

Mike-

I believe this iRV2 thread has pictures of the PDB, in post #7:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/elec...em-196913.html

Hopefully, your coach's is in the same spot under the hood.

Mark
Old 09-14-2015, 01:27 PM   #12

Mike-

I couldn't resist one more link. It's got a crystal-clear photo of the inside of the PDB AND its auxiliary relay box.

Power Distribution Box Schematic? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

I'll shut up now. ;-)

Mark
Old 09-14-2015, 06:12 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mark,

Thanks for the info but the PDB is not what I need to find. I have looked in there and the Maxi fuse at #22 is a 40 amp fuse and is fine.

The running light relay is in the small box to the left of the PDB and is functioning properly. I swapped all three of the small relays around and all are functional so it doesn't appear to be the relay that is bad.

The #22, 20 amp, fuse I need to find is in the Fuse Box which I have yet to find the location of. There is a large group of wires run into three large connectors on the upper divers side on the engine compartment side of the firewall. It would be logical that the fuse panel would be on the other side of the firewall above the breaker panel at the bottom of the dash but I can't find the darn thing.

I have access to the top of the dash area but not the bottom. I guess the next order of business is to remove some panels and get a better look. I have reached into the area and can't feel anything that would appear to be a panel large enough to be what is illustrated in the wiring diagrams.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:50 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Divide Wee, here is the location fuse panel you are looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017 fuse panel.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	106905  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake