Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Brake Fluid

I was just checking the fluids on my03 HR Vacationeer w/Ford v10.

The brake fluid reservoir is not accessible to be seen up close. Maybe I shouldn't have used the device that I did to check the level, but I used my index finger. (It was clean). The fluid was down about 1/2" but the consistency was similar to maple syrup. (I relate to food).

Is this a concern? I thought it might be a little thinner. The last time I used the vehicle was about 3-4 weeks ago. I usually check the level by shining a light on the other side of the plastic reservoir.

Any experienced help is welcome. Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonjm209
I was just checking the fluids on my03 HR Vacationeer w/Ford v10.

The brake fluid reservoir is not accessible to be seen up close. Maybe I shouldn't have used the device that I did to check the level, but I used my index finger. (It was clean). The fluid was down about 1/2" but the consistency was similar to maple syrup. (I relate to food).

Is this a concern? I thought it might be a little thinner. The last time I used the vehicle was about 3-4 weeks ago. I usually check the level by shining a light on the other side of the plastic reservoir.

Any experienced help is welcome. Thanks.
How long has it been since you last had it changed? The book says to do it every 24 months. It's also bad to stick your finger ( open up the reservoir ) as it introduces moisture to the fluid which is something you want to avoid.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #3

You do not say when you last changed your brake fluid but If I remember right, Ford recommends every three years. Brake fluid will absorb moisture and after a lot of hard braking like in city driving, the brakes will fail. Ask me how I know, scary until you let the brakes cool off. This was before I found out that I needed to change fluid every 3 years. Your fluid should be thinner than maple syrup buy a small can of brake fluid for comparison. Have the fluid checked, you do not lose your brakes totally but it is a white knuckle ride with the increased stopping distance.
buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
That is the way I need to check mine also. some times the gel is what they use to put the master cylinder together to keep the rubber seals from tearing. If you have never flushed your brake system it is past due to do so. Use Ford fluid it has a higher boiling point.

The gel is probably just floating on the top of the brake fluid. If concerned get a turkey baster with a length of clear tubing suck out all the brake fluid and add new. Now you half way through the flush. Take a clear line put it over the Right rear wheel brake bleed screw and the other end in a clear plastic water bottle, open the bleed screw let it drain till new fluid is seen. Close the bleed screw do the same to the Left rear then Right front and Left front. JUST don't let the master cylinder run out of fluid while draining. Ford recommends this to be done every 2 years.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs up Brake Fluid

I just checked it again with a small clean (popsicle type) stick. It is not as thick as I originally thought it was because I was able to put the stick into the reservoir all the way. But, seeing as I've owned the rv for 8 years, it's time to stop checking it and time to replace it.

Thanks to all again. This is the second thanks I have written in the past 2 weeks. The help here is unbelievable, especially to a non-mechanical guy like me. I can check anything, but I stop short of fixing it.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #6

Joe, the fluid in our 2000 was the same, almost like a thin gel. I was a bit concerned and checked on it but thats the way it comes from Ford on the stripped F53 chassis, so not to worry.

At 52,000 miles I had the brake system flushed and refilled with new fluid, no problems.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:38 AM   #7

If the reason the brake fluid needs to be replaced is moisture, could the fluid once changed out be heated to remove the moisture & be usable again.
Would there be other things in the fluid, like rust or dirt that would make it not usable again.

Other than the Ford brake fluid, what other types/brands can be used.
Thanks, Neil
C-Leigh Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Leigh Racing View Post
If the reason the brake fluid needs to be replaced is moisture, could the fluid once changed out be heated to remove the moisture & be usable again.
Would there be other things in the fluid, like rust or dirt that would make it not usable again.

Other than the Ford brake fluid, what other types/brands can be used.
Thanks, Neil
No, No, No. Never! Brake fluid is inexpensive. generic Dot 3 is fine.
pkunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #9

Be careful on your Dot 3 recommendations. Somewhere along the line Ford has changed the fluid specs. Don't know other year specifics but on the 2004 F53 Ford recommends Dot 3 for Hydro-Boost systems and Super Dot 4 for Hydro-Max systems. I believe The Hydro-Max system is used on the 20.5K chassis and above and the Hydro-Boost system is used on the 18K chassis and below.
jrd48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, fluid