Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-16-2017, 02:04 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 147
Brake Rotors Hairline Cracks..

Had a good luck at the rear Rotas and on the outside pad face there seems to be hair line Cracks right in centre line of where the pads run.

So is it a fit new pair ASAP.
__________________

__________________
Fleetwood Bounder 34J
1999 V10 Triton
Based in the UK
Destination is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2017, 02:31 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Metamora, MI
Posts: 48
Probably due to overheat / too many heat cycles.

Time for new rotors and pads!
__________________

__________________
2000 Bounder 36S
Dav L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:07 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lowell, Arkansas
Posts: 4,425
You did not tell us where you were when you discovered the cracks. Dav L is correct inhis assessment. They need to be replaced.

I just want to let you know that it is not an immediate emergency. You have time so don't rush home or rush to get it done. Do your research as far as new rotors and pads.

This is a truck and you know that. There are differences in the quality of metal used in replacement rotors. Don't just search for the best price. The same is true for pads.


I don't know your background or repair expertise so if I insult your intelligence it was no my plan.

Go to several truck repair facilities and talk to the service manager and see if he can recommend a rotor or pad. What do they use?? If you find a semi truck repair facility that also services things like ambulances and delivery trucks based on the F-53 chassis. Those trucks are not making $$$$ if they are setting in a shop or if they require constant repairs because the shop does not fix it correctly. Those shops won't stay in business. Consequently they will use good parts that are of decent quality.
__________________
TeJay Auto Instructor/4-yrs USAF/ Liz: RN/ WBGO 2014 Vista 30T/ F-53/CHF/5-Star/Koni * Bella & Izzy * Golden /Cocker mix/ Louie The Cat* All Retired
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:24 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
You did not tell us where you were when you discovered the cracks. Dav L is correct inhis assessment. They need to be replaced.

I just want to let you know that it is not an immediate emergency. You have time so don't rush home or rush to get it done. Do your research as far as new rotors and pads.

This is a truck and you know that. There are differences in the quality of metal used in replacement rotors. Don't just search for the best price. The same is true for pads.


I don't know your background or repair expertise so if I insult your intelligence it was no my plan.

Go to several truck repair facilities and talk to the service manager and see if he can recommend a rotor or pad. What do they use?? If you find a semi truck repair facility that also services things like ambulances and delivery trucks based on the F-53 chassis. Those trucks are not making $$$$ if they are setting in a shop or if they require constant repairs because the shop does not fix it correctly. Those shops won't stay in business. Consequently they will use good parts that are of decent quality.

Thanks you
We are in the UK so F53 American Service Garages are well not here. We would buy from Rockauto as they ship to UK and will go for OE speck on Rotas.
Just a shame that the Shipping is twice the price of the parts , then it's the dreaded import tax and vat to add at this end.

It's the rears which we will change first, which is the more evasive end to do and then set up.
__________________
Fleetwood Bounder 34J
1999 V10 Triton
Based in the UK
Destination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:13 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Philswrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 105
Brake Rotors Hairline Cracks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destination View Post
Thanks you

We are in the UK so F53 American Service Garages are well not here. We would buy from Rockauto as they ship to UK and will go for OE speck on Rotas.

Just a shame that the Shipping is twice the price of the parts , then it's the dreaded import tax and vat to add at this end.



It's the rears which we will change first, which is the more evasive end to do and then set up.


Have one of your local mechanics measure the thickness of your rotors,it has a minimum thickness as long as you stay .30 thousand above that you are ok, those little cracks are from heat they will machine out, depending on the rotor thickness, if you can give me the year of you coach I can give you the specs
__________________
Philswrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:16 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Metamora, MI
Posts: 48
These are heavy rotors...no doubt the shipping would be the same as the price of the part to the UK.

I have always been surprised at the relatively modest cost these rotors are considering the weight.

You might want to add brake fluid flush to your service.

If you can't have the RV down due to parts not available locally, you might want to pull the wheels and see if the caliper pistons are not frozen. If they are, you want to add new calipers to your parts order.

To do so, take a screwdriver the try to push the pads apart (try not to damage the friction material with the screwdriver). If they loosen, then they are likely not frozen.

You might want to see if the bleeder screw can be opened in case that too is frozen.

You have to wonder why the rotors are cracking...overheat...frozen calipers....makes you think...
__________________
2000 Bounder 36S
Dav L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
These are heavy rotors...no doubt the shipping would be the same as the price of the part to the UK.

I have always been surprised at the relatively modest cost these rotors are considering the weight.

You might want to add brake fluid flush to your service.

If you can't have the RV down due to parts not available locally, you might want to pull the wheels and see if the caliper pistons are not frozen. If they are, you want to add new calipers to your parts order.

To do so, take a screwdriver the try to push the pads apart (try not to damage the friction material with the screwdriver). If they loosen, then they are likely not frozen.

You might want to see if the bleeder screw can be opened in case that too is frozen.

You have to wonder why the rotors are cracking...overheat...frozen calipers....makes you think...

Calipers ect have been cleaned all round and new pads in rear, That is how I noticed the marks on the rotas.
Also had a full fluid change at same time.
__________________
Fleetwood Bounder 34J
1999 V10 Triton
Based in the UK
Destination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:08 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
tderonne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Motor City, Mich
Posts: 2,177
Have a picture? Some hairline cracks are normal. They are not very deep and do no harm.
__________________
Tim.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 78
As tederonne stated hairlines cracks are pretty normal just heat checking. They will turn out however I haven't turned a rotor in over 40 years. I run them until they get close to the min thickness then replace them. I have had a caliper freeze which in fairly short order trashed the pad and then started going into the rotor which required a replacement(well 2, if one rotor gets replaced I change both on that axle so they are the same and I do same with calipers) there was no turning that thing back into usable shape.
__________________
2016 Jayco Eagle 27.5 RLTS
BarryG20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Philswrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 105
Minimum machine thickness is 28mm or 1".120 and lug nut torque is 140 ft.lbs.
__________________
Philswrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:24 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 220
Cracks on the face are not particularly serious. Cracks that extend out to the edge of the rotor should be out of service.
__________________
AITG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:01 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 147
Hoping to get wheels balanced next week , so will try and get some pics of the discs (Roras)
__________________

__________________
Fleetwood Bounder 34J
1999 V10 Triton
Based in the UK
Destination is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
brake



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rotors have heat checks and hairline cracks figallegro Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum 7 09-06-2014 01:53 PM
Hairline cracks on top front of coach gator67 Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 1 05-07-2009 06:35 PM
Hairline Cracks max49 Damon 8 12-06-2007 02:16 PM
Fiberglass Hairline Cracks Thudman Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 10 07-23-2006 09:15 AM
Hairline cracks in outer skin.... smlranger Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 3 04-03-2006 03:32 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.