Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2011, 04:55 AM   #1

brakes hanging?

I have a '96 Tropical in excellent condition that I have put a lot of money into. Every time I take my coach out, I can smell what I think is the smell of brakes hanging up when I step outside the coach. The coach stops well, even with a toad. I have had the coach at a local frame/truck shop and they can't find anything wrong. In addition to this, the dash emergency brake light comes on when I'm going up hills, (accelerating), and goes off when I'm decelerating or hit the brake pedal. I think my mileage is down too. Also, it seemed to me yesterday that when I took it out for a drive, (first time this season), that it glided with much less effort till I put a few miles on it, then it started doing it again and I think it was worse. I suspect a sticky caliper or shoe on the tag axle. I also had to replace the spider gears in the rear end last season. According to the tech at Harold's, it was because it was supposed to have synthetic lubricant in it and it didn't. There is also a bill in the coach reflecting a tranny rebuild at 55,000 miles in Alabama. It's a MI coach, so I suspect this was an emergency at the time. Is there any way I can know for sure and put this issue to bed and where in southeast MI can I take it to get this resolved. The local Ford dealers are prohibitively expensive. Can Midas or other specialty brake shop be trusted with this?
burmashave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2011, 06:39 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ford had something out on this (maybe a TSB) that said when replacing brake pads you need to file each end of one one of the brake pads at each wheel. Do not grind or you will take off too much. The pad needs to be filed until they do not stick and move free by hand with very little play.
If not done the will heat up and melt the rubber of the brake caliber and then the caliber would also need to be replaced.

I did this to mine and they work OK. I just wish I could find the information on it that I once had.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can't you raise tag axle and test drive it?

I remember the filing, don't believe it was a TSB, as it was in regards to some aftermarket brake pads. Some pads were just a 'wee bit' to long. If I remember it was the inboard pad that was the problem. However if the brakes have not recently been replaced this should not represent a problem.

Last fall, I replaced the front brakes on my 97 F53 because of some hanging up on one side. Replaced calipers, hoses, rotors and pads. When you stopped for the day, a caliper was hanging. After sitting and cooling for an hour it was free. Off with the old and on with the new I say.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #4

I had the same thing happen to me after driving for maybe 10 mins I smell brakes stop to look at front rotors one nite by chance, rotor was so hot you could have lit cigar off it . Found front slides frozen lube up both fine every-since
Forty1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #5

I'm not familiar with the pre-V10 F53 braking systems. But I did own a tag axle for years. Yours is an add on. A Ford shop will know no more about it than any other place.

Speaking of SE Michigan Ford dealers. I had bad luck at Motor City Ford. Three times the spec backlash in my rear end after some warranty work. And they put a bearing backwards in the trans (again doing warranty work). How do I know it was in backwards? I don't think I have to tell anyone.... but I can recommend CTS Transmissions in Westland, 734-722-8686, ask for Chuck. Haven't been to Harold's in years, if you were happy there, that's probably a decent place to go.

Back to your tag. Being an add on, the brakes on it are probably straight up Dexter stuff, or some other common trailer axle stuff. They are probably actuated by a secondary system that gets an electrical or hydraulic signal from the standard brakes. If you suspect the tag axle brakes, it's probably worth taking the time to learn how your system works.

Oh yeah, the brake light on the dash, parking brake pedal switch need adjustment? And speaking of the parking brake. Do a search about the F53 parking brake system. Check your oil!

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
If he is talking about the Red Brake light in the cluster coming on it means that he is either low on brake fluid or the rear braking system has failed (unequal pressure).
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #7

I had similar problems on a much older ('85) Class C. Check the brake fluid viscosity at the master cylinder. On my old POS (thankfully long gone) the high under-hood temperatures had boiled off all the volatiles in the brake fluid. It looked like molasses in Anchorage in January.

It had gummed up the rear (drum) brake cylinders so bad that the return springs couldn't release the brakes. That may have contributed to the 5 mpg fuel mileage and the 55 mph top spee on the level! I understand that exhaust manifolds, when pulling a long hill-climb at fairly low speeds, can get to glowing cherry red (about 1300F).
Old 04-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #8

took it into Cars Inc. today. A shop in White Lake that I remember General RV used to send their rigs for oil changes, so I called them and brought it in. Here is what they told me today.

1-the brakes were new, but grease wasn't applied to the caliper pins
2-the right front caliper was seized
3-the tag axle brakes were non functional due to being seized
4-the right rear caliper was seized.

This happens apparently when a coach sits and the recommended bi-annual brake fluid changes have been neglected.

How I thought the brakes felt fine I'll never know. I guess the brakes will be amazing when this is all resolved lol.

I've been quoted about $600 for the whole job, but with the price of gas being what it is, and fill ups about $350, it was easy to swallow just to get back to normal mpg.
burmashave is offline   Reply With Quote