Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2018, 05:36 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrowncods View Post
Problem still exists on new frames. Just checked mine - 2018 22k chassis w/ 1700 miles. All were hand tight. Blue locktight and 66 ft-lbs.

The rear sway bar bolts are not always an issue.
On my passengers side rear sway bar bracket broke two times the same way each time. See picture and the top of the U bracket is torn away.

It has replaced by Ford 2013 then again in 2016 so if the schedule is right it should break again this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	215334  
IggyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2018, 07:54 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Brackets

This is what I did on my front brackets to strengthen them. I had intended on doing the same to the rear but so far they are all fine and I added the lock tight about 3 years ago. I will add gussets to the rears as well. No sense in taking any chances.

Are you sure the bolts didn't come loose at some point, discovered then properly torqued with lock tight??

If they were loose at any given time that looseness with a sudden stop will cause shock to the bracket and weaken it to fail later down the road.

Not questioning you just looking for possible reasons for a bracket to fail without the bolt coming loose first.

You have a 2012 unit which if it's made on a 2011 chassis then unless you lucked out you don't have the polyurethane SB bushings. They were added on the 2012 chassis so normally they would appear on the 2013 units.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03155.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	215342   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03156.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	215343  

Old 08-17-2018, 07:34 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
This is what I did on my front brackets to strengthen them. I had intended on doing the same to the rear but so far they are all fine and I added the lock tight about 3 years ago. I will add gussets to the rears as well. No sense in taking any chances.

Are you sure the bolts didn't come loose at some point, discovered then properly torqued with lock tight??

If they were loose at any given time that looseness with a sudden stop will cause shock to the bracket and weaken it to fail later down the road.

Not questioning you just looking for possible reasons for a bracket to fail without the bolt coming loose first.

You have a 2012 unit which if it's made on a 2011 chassis then unless you lucked out you don't have the polyurethane SB bushings. They were added on the 2012 chassis so normally they would appear on the 2013 units.
Nice job TeJay especially if you have a welder.
I will stop by and you can do mine. lol
May buy the Poly bushing on Ebay in the future.
IggyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:27 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK, I now believe there is a problem that comes from the factory. I decided to take a quick look at mine the other day and low and behold the Drivers side rear sway bar bracket is broken. It also broke at the top bend area. That tab and bolt are still there. The bottom bolt is partially installed and what's left of the bracket is still there. Now for me I guess you could say I was lucky because I had a Roadmaster sway installed which does not remove the OEM. Because of this the OEM sway bar only dropped about 3" and was resting on the Roadmaster bracket.
Back to the problem. When I went to install the new bracket and the bottom bolt, it would not go in all the way. I originally thought it was because I had too much stress on it. So upon further review it was not. I had to Re-Tap or in this case Tap the hole because there were no threads on have of the nut that was welded there.
This is a 2013 chassis and from all of the other people telling the same story it seems there should be some sort of recall on this. I would think that the robot that did the welding was malfunctioning. Whatever the case, its happen on a few chassis so it's a problem.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:01 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
It has happened on more than just a few chassis and more importantly on many different model years. I doubt the welder was broken or malfunctioning on several model years.

The reason it destroys the threads is because of the constant sudden jerking in and out as the RV tries to SWAY. That sudden in and out movement then stopping also is what breaks the bracket.

Things are good because the original thread which was started to alert all F-53 owners about this issue was made into a STICKY. It will remain at the top and won't ever get buried.

I could be wrong but it will never become a recall. It's just not a big SAFETY issue and many times they break after the warranty so are never reported to Ford or the NSTB.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:22 AM   #20

Just had it happen to mine. Rear sway bar. Same thing happened on my previous '99 F53 so this has been an issue for a very long time. BTW it's been stated that the newer F53's use polyurethane bushings from the factory. The bushings I just replaced on my 2014 did not appear to be polyurethane. I had to cut one of them off and it cut and looked like regular black hard rubber compound. Maybe it is polyurethane but it's certainly not like any polyurethane I've encountered in the past.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:29 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
According to Skuterdude Ford started using the black poly on the 2012 chassis. So that would be if you own a 2013 you have poly. Yes it is black and according to the "Dude" poly will or can come in a variety of colors.

Skuterdude sells replacement bushings on e-bay and does not make bushings for anything from 2013 forward.

Interesting that you experienced a broken rear bracket on a 1999. That's the oldest RV that I've heard of.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:04 PM   #22

Quote:
According to Skuterdude Ford started using the black poly on the 2012 chassis. So that would be if you own a 2013 you have poly. Yes it is black and according to the "Dude" poly will or can come in a variety of colors.

Skuterdude sells replacement bushings on e-bay and does not make bushings for anything from 2013 forward.

Interesting that you experienced a broken rear bracket on a 1999. That's the oldest RV that I've heard of.
Yes and the brackets on the '99 are noticeably thinner material as I recall. Skuterdude set me up with replacement parts and new poly bushings for my 2014. He does have bushings for the newer rigs you just need to let him know the diameter of the swaybar (36mm in my case, 22K chassis). One of my oem bushings was damaged when the bracket came loose. He even called me on a weekend no less and shipped the parts first thing on Monday. Exceptional customer service
Old 09-03-2018, 12:33 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Skuterdude and I have talked a few times over the years. He works very hard to produce an excellent product and as you reported his customer service is excellent.

I didn't know he'd make custom bushings but that makes sense that he would.

We had a 1999 Dutch Star and back then I didn't know much about the SWAY control system and there wasn't anything on the CHF. That came in 2010 but I wish it had come earlier. We sold the unit in March of 2010 and John McKinley didn't post his CHF until the Summer of 2010.

I never even looked at the SB brackets on the 1999 but have seen some very heavy machined brackets and I assumed they were an earlier bracket that was replaced by the thinner strap brackets we are seeing today. I guess I'm wrong. I'd still like to know when Ford used the heavy machined bracket instead of the formed strap metal bracket?
Old 09-04-2018, 04:47 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Skuterdude got me new bushings for my 2014 chassis. When my bracket broke it tore up the Ford bushing. His are much better than Ford's.
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:12 AM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Crankshaft,
Many thanks for the update on what Skuterdude does. It's nice to know we can get a quality bushing from him.

"Skuterdude got me new bushings for my 2014 chassis. When my bracket broke it tore up the Ford bushing. His are much better than Ford's."
Old 09-05-2018, 05:20 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK so who out there makes a Super Heavy Duty Bracket for the Bushing? If you do or know someone that does please let me know so I can get some for my unit.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:06 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not aware of anybody who makes a stronger rear SB bracket. Take a look at post #16 again. When I do the rear I'm going to cut some 3/16" metal at a 45 degree and it will work just fine and make those brackets incredibly stronger.

If you want to send me your rear brackets and I'll add some gussets to yours for the cost of the shipping. If you use the USPS program of, "If it fit it ships" it will cost you $7.20 or $14.40 for both ways. Add the metal gussets and the blue lock tight you'll have no problems at all. Mine have been on with just the lock tight for 3 years and no issues. I'll add the gussets just as extra insurance.

Someone reported having their 1999 F-53 break the rear bracket. It's happening all across their Fords RV F-53 chassis.

I've got to take the RV to the alignment shop Friday. I talked to them yesterday and he wants to see what's going on. I'm experiencing some outside wear on both front tires. I'll swap two rears for the fronts and in a couple of years replace all 6 tires.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:13 AM   #28

Quote:
Someone reported having their 1999 F-53 break the rear bracket. It's happening all across their Fords RV F-53 chassis.
That was me. I had the same issue on my '99. I don't recall what the mileage was when it happened. Same fix. On my '14 it happened at about 22k miles. On the'14 three of the 4 holes no longer had captured nuts so I used grade 10 flanged nuts with blue loctite of course.