RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2015, 09:53 AM   #1

Broken Sway Bar

I was crawling under the MH the other day and noticed that one of the rear "C" brackets that attaches the rear sway bar to the differential had broken.

Does anybody know what causes this typically? Does this type of thing happen from hitting a hard bump straight on or rather from the motion of turning into a driveway to hard? I try and baby the motorhome while driving, but we do take it to the desert several times a year and those dirt fire roads are very bumpy.

I have a 2006 Fleetwood Flair, 33R, F53, and pull a single axle dirt bike trailer (about 2000 LBS).

Any insight would be great!

Dean

2006 Fleetwood Flair 33r (Ford Chassis), Honda CRV Toad
deanlouis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Broken sway-bar clamps have been reported here on the F-53 forum. Do a search on the F-53 chassis forum and read what some have done.

I recall back early in the F-53 building they used a much larger machined horseshoe type clamp what would not break. It almost looked like a main bearing clamp from a crankshaft. These days they are using some strap type metal as a way of holding the bar in place. Some have also reported loose clamp bolts. I guess a guy should just take the bolts out and re-install using some blue lock tight and also torque the bolts.

TeJay

Old 04-09-2015, 10:27 AM   #3

If the bracket in question is the one I have pictured in my mind; a U bolt with threaded ends, that holds the sway bar bushing and bushing retainer to the housing; that would be under the most strain when one end of the rear axle is raised. Possibly run up on a curb, but they should be strong enough to handle that load.
That being said , anything designed and made by man , can fail at any time , for no apparent reason.

EDIT: I see TeJay, posted while I was away typing, better info than I was providing.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:07 AM   #4
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dean;

Seems to be a common issue with F53, They made a change around 2005/2006 and this seems to be some what common.

As TeJay said, swing by the Ford F53 forum and do a search.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:11 PM   #5

Weld the broken bracket, maybe add a gusset.

Keep travelin'!
Old 04-12-2015, 02:19 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just a small correction to the thread. When the OP called this thread, "Broken Sway Bar" that was a bit misleading. I realize it was not intentional. It was a, "Broken Sway Bar CLAMP". I know that's nitpicking but when describing any diagnostic situation it's always best describe it as best one can and to call it what it is.

I know when I'm reading the posted threads as soon as a diagnostic situation is posted my mind starts going trying to determine the direction of the diagnosis.

So far I have not read of any F-53 chassis that has experienced a BROKEN sway bar. That was one of the concerns with the CHF by some of the skeptics and so far that has not been an issue.

TeJay
Old 04-12-2015, 03:30 PM   #7

Thanks guys for the input. Tejay - You are right, should have called it a broken sway bar clamp. I welded it back together and just got back from a trip and it is holding strong. Amazing how much better the rig handled with it fixed.

2006 Fleetwood Flair 33r (Ford Chassis), Honda CRV Toad
deanlouis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:19 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi there, and where can I find the F53 forum, may have missed it on this site? Thanks!
billyboy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:44 AM   #9
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
BillyBoy - Congratulations, You found it, You are here...

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote