Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Can push the brake pedal to floor

We have a 2006 Four Winds R 29 E-450 V-10. Brakes seem fine smooth stopping however when in park I can push the pedal to floor. Question is this normal? We are new to Class C RV'ing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
It does have a power boost. Turn key on when in Park, you should hear a sound like a motor running. See if the brake feels normal then. Doesn't sound normal. I had a 2000 E-450 and don't know if I ever tried brake when in Park with engine off.

1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like you may have air in your braking system. You say you have good brakes with engine running. Do they feel spongy or are they solid when you push the pedal with engine running?
With the engine off can you pump the brake pedal and it not go to the floor or get better results after pumping? Brake pedal should never go to the floor with hydraulic brakes, engine running or not.
dsbike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Any time the brake pedal goes to the floor...it ain't good. Number of reasons for this to happen, but will take some looking.

I would not drive it until you get that issue solved.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Miniature Schnauzer, one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
Sounds like you may have air in your braking system. You say you have good brakes with engine running. Do they feel spongy or are they solid when you push the pedal with engine running?
With the engine off can you pump the brake pedal and it not go to the floor or get better results after pumping? Brake pedal should never go to the floor with hydraulic brakes, engine running or not.
Just reread your post, I thought you had posted " when parked" but you stated " when in park" . As I stated, the pedal should never go to the floor. I think it doesn't when driving is because the rpms are up and the brake booster is assisting.

First thing to check is if you have any new fluid leaks under the vehicle. Then check the brake master cylinder for fluid level, it should be just below the top of the resivour. If you are unfamiliar with where the brake master cylinder is located check your owners manual. Then next step is have a professional mechanic check it for you.

Brakes are nothing to play around with.
dsbike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #6

My f350 does the same thing, when stopped and at an idle in park you can push the pedal to the floor. It doesn't just slam down but if you hold steady pressure on it you can get it to the floor, this is normal for the type of system they use for the power brakes. It works off your power steering pump and at an idle the pump cannot keep up. I don't know if this is the same set up that you have or not, but it sounds like we have the same system.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:58 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the help. The engine was running and in park.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for all the help . With the engine off the break pedal is solid when running it seems not solid the power comes from the power steering pump. The RV brakes when moving take very little pedal pressure to stop the unit so when not moving I am putting a lot of pressure on the system likely enough to activate the ABS and slide the tires.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #9

If your ABS system is working correctly you should not be able to lock your brakes up.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #10

It is not uncommon to have the pedal go to or close to the floor based on what you are doing. If the engine is off and you pump the pedal a few times and it is hard with minimal travel, then it is likely normal. If it concerns you, I would test drive a similar RV if one is local or have the brakes checked out to make sure.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #11

Sounds like a leaking master cylinder to me. An internal leak so it wouldn't show up outside the master cylinder.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
It is not uncommon to have the pedal go to or close to the floor based on what you are doing. If the engine is off and you pump the pedal a few times and it is hard with minimal travel, then it is likely normal. If it concerns you, I would test drive a similar RV if one is local or have the brakes checked out to make sure.
Thanks for the reply. I am satisfied there is no problem.

Tags
brake, ford brakes