Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2014, 09:25 AM   #1

Centering Steering Wheel

I have a 2015 Thor Outlaw with a F 53 chassis (2014) I had the front end alligned but steering wheel is slightly off center. There is no adjustment at the wheel, it will only go on at one position. Does anyone know the procedure for centerring the wheel on a new F53? On the older ones it was a simple matter to remoce steering whell and replace in proper position, not so with new models. Thanks
Rfstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Steering wheel centering should always be done by adjusting the tie rods and not removing and replacing the steering wheel in order to keep the entire steering system centered.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Alignment shop should have ensured the steering wheel straight. Suggest to take it back to them. If you want to DIY might be just to adjust the drag link, as done for my jeep.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:46 AM   #4

Take it back to the alignment shop and suggest they do the job correctly. I have done hundreds of alignments fist thing you do is verify that ride height is correct then center the wheel then align the front end. I have had lots of customers that want their wheel centered often on air ride coaches it is a matter of adjusting the ride height to correct.

When Monaco was making the Roadmaster chassis on the line they used spacer blocks between the axles and frame to maintain ride height while working on the chassis that way it was always at correct height and they did not have to have chassis air working while building it. The steering column and all steering parts were installed with the spacers in place. When completed the chassis was aired up and the spacers were removed but if the leveling valve was not set to put the frame at the same height as the spacers the wheel would be off center.

If you have leveling jacks watch your steering wheel as you raise and lower your front end it will always turn. This happens in spring suspensions as well as air.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #5

When my 06 had an alignment, they pulled the wheel when done and put back on straight as they could.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #6

The problem with moving the wheel is first unless it was put on wrong at the factory it does not fix any problem. Frankly it is a lazy way to make you feel better. Your steering system has X number of turns lock to lock exactly 1/2 of that is the centered position provided the steering stops are set correctly. To see if your steering is correct you turn fully to the left or right mark the wheel position then turn fully the other way and count revolutions. Lets say it is 7 revolutions then you turn it back 3.5 turns and that should be centered. The problem lately is no one wants to do things correctly so very few shops even check the steering stops. They pull you in hook up the machine and make a few adjustments print the results and cal it done. Then when you point out the steering wheel is off bubba runs out pulls the wheel and moves it so it is straight. Mission accomplished LOL.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #7

It is the nature of the beast. Finding a good shop is becoming extremely difficult for car owners and just about impossible for those that own large vehicles like a class A. I have one place near me that can do an alignment on my rv. It sucks when I have to research to proper procedures and then stand over them while the work is being done.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #8

The wheel is only off a few degrees but it aggregates me. The coach drives straight and does not pull. It probably only needs to be rotated 1 spine if it could be rotated.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-10-2014, 07:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
The problem with moving the wheel is first unless it was put on wrong at the factory it does not fix any problem. Frankly it is a lazy way to make you feel better. Your steering system has X number of turns lock to lock exactly 1/2 of that is the centered position provided the steering stops are set correctly. To see if your steering is correct you turn fully to the left or right mark the wheel position then turn fully the other way and count revolutions. Lets say it is 7 revolutions then you turn it back 3.5 turns and that should be centered. The problem lately is no one wants to do things correctly so very few shops even check the steering stops. They pull you in hook up the machine and make a few adjustments print the results and cal it done. Then when you point out the steering wheel is off bubba runs out pulls the wheel and moves it so it is straight. Mission accomplished LOL.
There's a Ford Bulletin Q-59 covering aligning the steering wheel after a front end alignment for the 1999 - 2007 F53 chassis.

At least until 2007 there was only 1 adjustment at each end of the tie rod end on the stock F53 chassis. Once the alignment was completed the steering wheel had to be removed and recentered. The procedure is covered in Ford Technical Service Bulletin Q-59. Here's a part of the section of the bulletin regarding straightening the steering wheel.

Clear Vision Adjustment Procedure
1. Ensure that the wheels are in the straight ahead position.
2. Remove the bolt (T50Torx)
3. Remove the steering wheel with a 2 jaw puller(OTC 205-116 or Rotunda#T77F-4220-B1).
4. Reposition the steering wheel to achieve a level or horizontal position. There are 40 splines in the steering wheel which allows adjustment to within + or- 4.5 degrees.

Note: For the 1999 F53 Clear vision should only be adjusted at the steering wheel.

While this bulletin was originally written for the 1999 model F53 it applied to all F53s with factory installed tie rods and drag links up through at least the 2007 model year
Old 08-10-2014, 08:08 PM   #10

Does not apply to 2014

Old 08-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #11

The u joint on the steering shaft where it joins the steering gear box is splined. Has anyone heard of rotating this joint to center the wheel?

Old 08-10-2014, 08:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfstuart View Post
The u joint on the steering shaft where it joins the steering gear box is splined. Has anyone heard of rotating this joint to center the wheel?

I'm pretty sure it is blind splined (will only go on in one position)
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #13

[QUOTE=1mainiac;2177048] Your steering system has X number of turns lock to lock exactly 1/2 of that is the centered position provided the steering stops are set correctly. To see if your steering is correct you turn fully to the left or right mark the wheel position then turn fully the other way and count revolutions. Lets say it is 7 revolutions then you turn it back 3.5 turns and that should be centered. /QUOTE] The "lock to lock" travel is determined by the spindle stop bolts, you could apply the method you describe, find steering wheel "centered" and The steering gear not centered. I have seen steering gears 1/2 to 3/4 turn out of center, steering wheel "centered' Toe, caster & camber within spec. and the vehicle impossible to keep straight because the gearbox was of of the high spot in the center of the worm.
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #14

[QUOTE=rivraton;2177319]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
Your steering system has X number of turns lock to lock exactly 1/2 of that is the centered position provided the steering stops are set correctly. To see if your steering is correct you turn fully to the left or right mark the wheel position then turn fully the other way and count revolutions. Lets say it is 7 revolutions then you turn it back 3.5 turns and that should be centered. /QUOTE] The "lock to lock" travel is determined by the spindle stop bolts, you could apply the method you describe, find steering wheel "centered" and The steering gear not centered. I have seen steering gears 1/2 to 3/4 turn out of center, steering wheel "centered' Toe, caster & camber within spec. and the vehicle impossible to keep straight because the gearbox was of of the high spot in the center of the worm.

that is true but I was hoping the factory installed it correctly to begin with. If the box has been removed or never was centered to start with all bets are off LOL. I was using my rough in adjustment based on a correct factory install to begin with. If the box was never centered it would always wander however that would not mean the wheel could not be straight in the straight position. It would mean however it would wander and drive like crap. If the box was installed correctly and you use the pull the wheel and make it right method many use then your actually making it worse because your moving off the steer box center.

Tags
steering