Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #1

Cool Changing Spark Plugs in Ford F 53

I am aware of problems in changing the plugs on my Ford F 53 engine.
I have 58,000 on my 2000 (made in 1999) and I'm trying to decide if I should change the plugs when there is no problem, or wait until I have a problem.
2000 stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I changed mine at about that milage with no problems. just remember they torque back in Inch lbs. My thinking was the longer I waited the bigger chance I mite have a problem. Even now I recheck torque at about 30,000 miles. I now have 103,000 miles and still going. On my 3 set of plugs. the original plugs have been superseded with a new plug.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #3

Here are some tips. First use only DOUBLE platinium plugs so they will last 80K miles without burning as much and opening the gap and ruin the mpg. Double platinium plugs use platinium on the center electrode and on the ground strap vice a single platinium plug that uses it only on the center electrode. Use a small dab of anti-sieze compound on the plugs threads so after they have been in for 60k miles they don't stick and break off. I have had that happen to me twice. Also coat the porcelein part of the plug with silicone grease so the plug wire boot does not permemtly stick to the plug. You can buy little packets of both the anti-sieze compound and the boot silicone grease at the parts counter. Do not get anti-sieze compound on the plug's center electrode or on the porcelein insulator because it will short it out. Keep your hands clean. Lastly the plugs wires have been on those plugs for a long time and are probably stuck. Do not pull by the wire, only pull on the boot. Sometimes you have to twist the boot first to break it loose.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I spray a penetrating loosening product at the base of plugs a day or so before I attempt to remove the spark plugs.
1995 F53 35U Bounder, Wide Body-Large Vertical Windows-NO SLIDES, Front Axle-Davis Tru-Trac Bar, Rear Axle-SuperSteer Trac Bar, TowBar/Brake System-NSA ReadyBrute Elite, Family Motor Coach Association F 513--F 513s MotorHoming since 1952
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:15 PM   #5

Ford rates the plugs to last for 100,000 miles, just curious if you're not having any problems, why would you want to change them

Our 2000 coach with the v10 has 74,000 miles and runs just fine. If and when it starts running bad due to bad spark plugs, then I'll take appropriate action to effect a fix.

Good luck and safe travels

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:59 AM   #6

Do all Ford V-10's have plugs that are rated for 100k miles? What does the book in the glove compartment say is the milage to change the plugs? I do know that some Ford vehicles were rated at 100K miles but I didn't think it was all of them. The normal interval is around 60K miles unles you have these special 100K plugs.

I would be interested in knowing how you are going to tell the motor is running badly because the plugs are worn? What happens over time is the center electrode erodes and loses the sharp edges around the tip so the spark has a harder time jumping the air gap plus the air gap gets bigger. When this happens the percentage of missfire increases and gas mileage goes down slowly as the plug wears. This is not an abrupt change and you will probably not feel this or hear it. You will also have a slight power loss because of this increased missfire. At some point way down the road the missfire will get bad enough that the OBD-II computer will set off a Check Engine Light. With todays prices on gas and the already bad MPG the cost of replacing these plugs to get the MPG back up there is cheaper than paying for the gas. A loss of .5 to 1.0 MPG is going to cost you more than the new plugs.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:12 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
My '99 Expedition with 5.4 Triton has 115,000 miles. Never had a tune up or plugs changed. Ford says 100,000 mi. Since you can't change the plugs without jacking the motor up, it's about a $400 job.

My '99 V10 is also 100,000mi Ford says.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #8

I was under the impression that the Triton V-10 was the modular motor and the plugs are under the cover on top of the valve covers. Is it really necessary to jack up the motor to get to these plugs through the top of the valve cover?
Old 05-24-2012, 07:10 AM   #9

Smile Changing plugs in Ford Triton V 10

Thanks for your input !
I was not aware Ford says the plugs are good for 100,000 miles.
I am very reluctant to change plugs when I am having no problems.at 58,000...because of the severe problems that have been reported when changing. I have read opinions on both sides of this issue, and although I intuitively would like to change them I probably won't. I can't see risking a broken plug or stripped threads, followed by an expensive repair to remedy.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
We also have 103,000 on a F53 V10 without any change in mileage or performance.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #11

2000stormer. I understand where you are coming from because that motor has a history of stripped plug threads and shooting plugs out of the holes while driving. A lot of that is caused by not using anti-sieze compound on the threads of a plugs that stay in the motor for that long of a period of time and sieze up so the threads are damaged when taking the plugs out and caused by backyard mechanics not starting the plug in the threads by hand so they can feel if it is cross threading or not. I have watched people put the plugs in on the end of an extension with a ratchet and start tightening down right away without making sure the plugs are correctly in the threads. It is the same deal on the overhead cam Mustang motors and I have been doing those for some years now and have never had a problem. We have a Chrysler hemi in the race car with the same deal and we change the plugs after every run and we always take care in starting them by hand and we have never cross threaded one yet. I have found this to be the best thread repair kit out there. I have used it on many other peoples engines. You do NOT have to pull the head to fix that thread. It works.
+++ TIME-SERT SPARK PLUG THREAD REPAIR KITS +++ spark plug thread repair kits for spark plug problems, for thread stripped spark plug repairs in damaged threads in spark plug hole stripped out approved thread repair

That is actually one great thing on taking the MH into a Ford dealer to change the plugs. There are aware of the problem and if they screw it up then they will fix it but you have less chance of a dealer screwing it up because they are doing those motors all the time.

You should have a maintenace schedule listed in the Ford owners manual in the glove compartment that will tell you what the recommended mileage is for changing the plugs on your motor.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
The plugs might last for 100,000 miles, but if you wait that long, removing them becomes a bigger issue. Mike is right, use care and anti-seize to install the new ones. Also, the plugs degrade over time, so replacing them will improve spark and combustion. Checking the condition of the plugs on removal will give a clue to any other issues developing in the cylinders. Spark Plug Analysis

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #13

Another trick is to remove the plugs while the engine is hot or very warm because the cylinder head is expanded and not as tight on the plug thread.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #14

Mike, do you have any idea how much a Ford dealer might charge to change these plugs. I think this is my concern. I have always done this type of work myself on cars....but getting to the plugs on this chasis looks to be a much harder job.
I normally do just about every other maintenance to my MH and have considered to do it myself because I don't want to spend 3 or 4 hundred $ to have someone else do it.
Update
Mlike, I just talked to a Ford Truck service tech and learned it is $349.00 plus tax to change these plugs.
Interestingly (coming from a Ford tech), he advised I leave them alone unless I have problems.
Thanks again, for your input....I appreciate it.
Doug

Tags
ford