Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2016, 11:26 AM   #1

Chassis differences

Hello All,

I am curious what are the nut and bolt differences between the 22k, 24k and 26k chassis. I would guess the springs are stouter on the heavier chassis of course, but what about the frame, is it heavier gauge or different design, or are the axles heavier design or different gear ratio? Any difference in the suspension part's? I'm sure this has been discussed before but a search didn't yield anything, if you have a link that would be great.

Thanks for any info,
Dave
old iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2016, 12:31 PM   #2

Google Ford F53 chassis. They give a breakdown of equipment for each weight and wheelbase.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #3

Here's a link to the 2014 F53 brochure:

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...2014_LoRes.pdf

There is similar information available on the Ford truck website, but this brochure cuts to the chase. You are correct in that there are considerable differences between the 16,000 lb. chassis and the 26,000 lb. chassis.

The differences include stronger frame rails, different brake boost system, different power steering systems, different springs, different differential ratios, different axle weight capacities, different size tires, larger sway bars on the larger capacity chassis, track bars on the larger chassis, and a host of other differences.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Here's a link to the 2014 F53 brochure:

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...2014_LoRes.pdf

There is similar information available on the Ford truck website, but this brochure cuts to the chase. You are correct in that there are considerable differences between the 16,000 lb. chassis and the 26,000 lb. chassis.

The differences include stronger frame rails, different brake boost system, different power steering systems, different springs, different differential ratios, different axle weight capacities, different size tires, larger sway bars on the larger capacity chassis, track bars on the larger chassis, and a host of other differences.
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. Wow, more differences than I would have thought between the 22k and 24k chassis, I just ordered a coach on the 22k, I wish the 24 had been available, oh well it should be fine.

Best,
Dave
old iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:01 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
More numbers and details -

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...16_F53_F59.pdf
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:23 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It NOT up to FORD which chassis is used. It's up to the MH manufacture which one they use. They normally decide by the length of the MH and the layout. They tend to use which one is shortest due to profitability when they build them. The cheaper the better.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:40 AM   #7

Our coach has a 190-inch wheelbase. It's chassis was made in 2007, and is rated 20,500 pounds GVWR. The 2007 Ford Body Builders Layout Book does not list a 20,500 GVWR chassis with that wheelbase; the shortest with that rating is 208 inches (the other is 228 inches). The highest-rated chassis with a 190-inch wheelbase is rated at 18,000 pounds GVWR.

The conclusion I draw, without having looked for a splice plate yet, is that Monaco bought a longer chassis (for its higher rating) and shortened it to a "standard" Ford wheelbase of 190 inches.

Monaco could have kept the frame at its original length. I haven't thought it through fully, but I expect that would have had these effects:

1) Reduce rear overhang
2) Increase wheelbase-to-length ratio (from 0.51 to 0.56)
3) Would have required change in exterior storage and possibly tank designs
4) Increased turning radius
5) A shift of weight from rear to front axle

Monaco built the 2008 model year on both Ford and Workhorse chassis. For the Ford line, the 30PDD/SFS were the only ones offered on the Ford "chopped" chassis. The longer models (34SBD and up) all used 228-inch or 242-inch "standard" wheelbase Ford chassis.

The above is kind of a long way of saying that sometimes a manufacturer will use a higher-cost chassis to achieve his goals.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis