RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2015, 11:39 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Rustoleum makes a variety of products, but none have any phosphoric acid to chemically change the iron oxide (rust) to a different substance. I think just spraying paint over blistering rust is a very temporary repair.
What I posted about is their "Rust Reformer" as someone posted a few posts ago, not their paint.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2015, 11:42 AM   #16

American Coach Owners Club
Best method I found for small jobs using POR is to punch a small hole in the lid with a nail, squeeze out a little in a small container and reseal the hole in the lid with duct tape. Keeps the can from curing when opened.

mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post

POR-15 works great, but will start curing in the can once opened.

I assume you used the POR-20 (silver aluminum)?

I have also used their WhiteCote, HardNose paint, and Glisten PC clear...which are all 2-part products that don't cure in the can. They are top coats with UV inhibitors.

POR-15 itself is technically a primer, and works AWESOME for encapsulating rust; while it looks glossy (gray or black) when first applied, it will get chalky if exposed to direct sunlight for 3-4 months.
That's what they say on their website, but that's not been my experience. The instructions that came with the can say after thoroughly mixing to pour a small amount in another container and use it from there. Continually dipping the brush in the can is supposed to transfer in moisture which will speed the curing process. I did pour some in another container for use. Then used a piece of saran wrap between the can and the lid before sealing the can.

Two years later I opened the can and followed the same process when I painted the wheels. The paint was still as fresh as the first time it was opened. It worked as well the second time as it did the first. Later this year I'll open the can again to paint the snow blower. If all works well the paint will be nearly 3 years old when I use it again. The website gives it a six month shelf time, which may be true in some areas. However when stored correctly in a cool dry atmosphere the shelf life has certainly been extended.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
That's what they say on their website, but that's not been my experience. The instructions that came with the can say after thoroughly mixing to pour a small amount in another container and use it from there. Continually dipping the brush in the can is supposed to transfer in moisture which will speed the curing process. I did pour some in another container for use. Then used a piece of saran wrap between the can and the lid before sealing the can.
Duh.

That makes a ton of sense.
I dipped in the can, and had it cure in the can.

Thank you for the very pertinent info!

Tags
chassis, rust