Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2018, 07:39 AM   #1

Chassis rust treatment

We got our 2014 Thor Hurricane from an owner in Oklahoma last May. While it had been parked for several months, the former owner said they had traveled in it to the rust belt (Kentucky anyways).

We had a professional inspector spend a day with it before we bought it. One of the things he noted was areas of rust on the chassis. Nothing through and through or anything like that. He recommended wire brushing and then painting with Rust-Oleum or something.

Do ya'll have any opinions on this? ("Do ya'll have opinions??"... What a stupid question I ask.)

Anyways, seriously, do it? Don't bother? Was thinking this could be do-it-myself, but then I had the thought of laying on my back, rust fillings and paint going everywhere, etc, etc. But who would i get to do work like this?
Fairfieldwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2018, 07:50 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfieldwiz View Post
We got our 2014 Thor Hurricane from an owner in Oklahoma last May. While it had been parked for several months, the former owner said they had traveled in it to the rust belt (Kentucky anyways).

We had a professional inspector spend a day with it before we bought it. One of the things he noted was areas of rust on the chassis. Nothing through and through or anything like that. He recommended wire brushing and then painting with Rust-Oleum or something.

Do ya'll have any opinions on this? ("Do ya'll have opinions??"... What a stupid question I ask.)

Anyways, seriously, do it? Don't bother? Was thinking this could be do-it-myself, but then I had the thought of laying on my back, rust fillings and paint going everywhere, etc, etc. But who would i get to do work like this?
A body shop with a heavy duty lift. You can diy. A large fan will help blow dust and rust away from you. Mine is a 1999 no rust but check regularly. Have a creeper to roll around under rv majes life real easy.[emoji16] [emoji16]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:53 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a spray paint mixture sold at WalMart. It is called rust reformer. It was developed for the drilling rigs in the north sea. It actually re-forms the rust. No scraping or sanding. You are suppose to leave the old rust on and just spray over it. I have used it for years. It works great.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:57 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My brother is recently retired as manager/director of a heating plant. When I discussed my rust problem on my new to me 2007 Itasca Meridian 34H he recommended a paint on or spray on rust inhibitor. He said you don't have to do anything but knock off the loose scaling and apply. It shuts off all oxygen to rust and solidifies like metal. I'm planning on doing it to mine in the Spring.

Richard
Old 12-01-2018, 11:03 AM   #5

Greetings - we had a rust issue with a prior coach. We had it treated with POR-15. It seemed to do a good job. https://www.por15.com/
BusyTravlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:16 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My frame was undercoated at the factory but over the years it's worn off. I've been wire brushing and spraying Rust Reformer on spots as they show up.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:18 AM   #7

I have used a product called "Rustcheck" for my coach. It is an oily like substance that will leach into all the seams and prevents rust from forming. It will also stop rust from spreading. As a side benefit , it helps keep the small rodents out. In Northern Ontario , it is available in most automotive stores.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfieldwiz View Post
While it had been parked for several months, the former owner said they had traveled in it to the rust belt
This is what happens when you travel to the "rust belt"

Sorry, couldn't resist.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:45 AM   #9

I use Ospho on surface rust.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:50 AM   #10

Rent a sand blaster (a good one) and an industrial air compressor and go to town.
You can get to every nook and cranny in a day for probably $300 in rental.
Then clean it all off with compressed air and prime / paint the exposed metal.
Weekend project and it will look near new.

You can do all the suspension, axle, calipers etc.

Makes a mess, but it's the most effective professional way to do it.
Best is to hire someone that is good at this if you aren't comfortable doing it. You can damage things if you aren't careful. Rubber Hoses, decals, paint, rubber booties on suspension etc.
You can mask or use a shield or just be careful with the nozzle to keep from damaging things.

Best to do this where the cloud of sand doesn't annoy anyone. I have done it in a subdivision and had to blanket off the whole project to contain the dust. Don't forget to use protective clothing / mask / positive supply air.

Otherwise you can spend days wire wheeling and not get into the tight spots.
I have done all the methods. Least effective is chemical treatments.

You can also blend the wire wheeling for large areas and use a smaller residential grade sandblaster (harbor freight) for the tight spots.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:12 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Being in Canada rust preventive solutions are common here Krown and Rust Check are a couple of dealers I havent done it yet but i did inquiry about my Holiday Rambler and the charge would be just over 300 dollars the fee is by the ft of the RV they spray everything metal on the frame that is the Krown near me as a foot note Canadian Military road vehicles are always at my local Krown dealer being coated with the oil type spare I live not to far from 2 military bases
BellevilleRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #12

I have used Krown on a couple trucks but I am switching to https://www.fluid-film.com/ so I can do it myself on all my vehicles and equipment. I've used it for a couple years from spray cans but I'm going to buy bulk, gallons or maybe 5 gallon buckets. It's easy to apply yourself. I'm going to make the one time investment their pro application gun of about $90.

Tags
chassis, rust