RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #127

Ford Super Duty Owner
Disregard the part in my last post about the sway bar being too close to the spring. I was up on the jacks still...

pkunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #128

This the front after pic. You guess where the before position was.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:52 AM   #129

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs up

Dunner,

Thanks for the picture. I'd say that one is worth 1,000 words!
...or 10 pages of posts.
Z714X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:55 AM   #130

I had to crawl thru 37 feet of broken glass to take that pic. Really.

Ok, maybe it was 3 feet of crushed rock, but it was 106s out there, maybe hotter under the....

Old 08-19-2011, 10:56 PM   #131

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Talking

I'm terribly sorry Dunner, but with the way the market has behaved this last week I'm going to have to reduce my original estimate from a 1,000 words to only 650 words.
Times are tough man.

I'm not making fun of anyone but if you can't laugh about it what are you going to do.
Z714X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #132

Ford Super Duty Owner
Good luck John. I'm following your testing of this idea closely. Getting closer to trying it myself all the time! Enjoy yourselves & keep us posted, please.
Ron
Old 08-26-2011, 09:51 PM   #133

Fleetwood Owners Club
When I get the Bounder out of storage it will be the first thing I do...if you read about a firey crash in California you'll know it was me.

BTW, I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in this epic thread about the fact that the F-53 chassis is primarily a MH chassis but the suspension components are used through out Ford's medium duty truck line. Because they use one set of holes over another is anyone's guess, but if someone thinks that massive amounts of research have been done to get the most precise handling down on a motor home they better think again. It's a truck...not a Mustang but handling principles don't change. I know what a sway bar is supposed to do and that's why I'm making the adjustment.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:23 PM   #134

It would probably be more linear to use longer links, but I don't think it is necessary. Shade tree mechanics says the shocks should last longer by not having to work so hard or travel as far.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:46 PM   #135

Ford Super Duty Owner
Took the plunge today and did the anti-sway bar hole swap. Only had a very limited highway drive home, so I'll reserve any thoughts on the outcome until we take a trip. Hoping for good things and definitely not any bad ones! Thanks to John for his idea and for answering my last few questions via email.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #136

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I responded several months ago to this posting.
After a very windy return home a few days ago I'm revising my "opinion". I thought after making the change to the inner holes my unit only improved 10%. Well now after the 20-30 mph winds, it is a major IMPROVEMENT! I was not as white knuckling and the DW never even mentioned the wind blowing us around.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #137

As I told you in my PM, I did the mod but have not yet driven it. I do recall that my `04 Breeze did wallow on the short distance home. Looking forward to posting positive results and telling my friends about it.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #138

Ford Super Duty Owner
Always good to read a positive report on this modification, Fiesta48.
I'm hoping to add favourable results at the end of next week after our first run since making the changes.
Ron
Old 09-14-2011, 11:41 AM   #139

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs up

I am very interested in this "fix." I left the Interstate last week and went to back roads because I was getting my tail kicked by the 20-30 mph winds (gusts were killing me) and added to that, all the trucks. I think this is a mod for me!
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #140

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I did it before my trip this past week. My bar hit the front springs when I used the factory links, so I ordered the adjustable ones that were suggested and put the bar in the same attitude it was before, but used the inner holes.

While I was doing the mod, I decided to add the Steer Safe also. It is the ugliest contraption I have ever seen and looks terrible under my coach, but I came home through 30 MPH headwinds and crosswinds around curves and bridges. I never swerved or moved out of the lane at all, even when being passed by semi's going much faster than I was. In my opinion this is a great modification. When I got home last night, I was not worn out from having to overdrive all of the way.

Again, I don't know if one or the other mod did the most good, but unless I look under the front of my Motorhome, I love it.