Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #1443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwgirardi View Post
I have a 2011 Ford F53 chassis. I did the cheap handling fix two weeks after I got the unit. I have gone thru both rear sway bar brackets since then, drivers and passenger side. The cause of both repairs were snapped bracket bolts. I believe Ford used bad/inferior bolts when they built this chassis. Hopefully, this will end my rear bracket problem. I don't think the CHF has any thing to do with it, otherwise others would of complained. My point is..keep an eye on your bracket bolts!
Which f53? Weight? Wheel base?
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #1444

Monaco Owners Club
I had to use the front jacks to raise the coach so the front axel would drop down. This moved the spring position to install bolts. If memory serves, it was also easier (perhaps necessary) to insert the bolts from inside to outside, rather than the original configuration. It's also possible to just jack the front axel up to move the spring position. Just not sure, it's been awhile. Go through the pictures, they show jacks down and bolts above the springs.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #1445

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
I had to use the front jacks to raise the coach so the front axel would drop down. This moved the spring position to install bolts. If memory serves, it was also easier (perhaps necessary) to insert the bolts from inside to outside, rather than the original configuration. It's also possible to just jack the front axel up to move the spring position. Just not sure, it's been awhile. Go through the pictures, they show jacks down and bolts above the springs.
X2. Just jack up coach for bolt clearance then reinstall backwards.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #1446

Quote:
I never had a problem with getting bolts installed through holes. I slid a jack under one side of sway bar & moved up just enough for bolts to slide in. Having room to tighten bolts was a problem. The previous post of bolts breaking was of interest. Nobody else has mentiond broken bolts. Both front & rear of my MH factory bars have been moved to second hole but I haven't driven it yet. I did use Helwig hangers on front. Those upper bolts are hard to reach on front bar. Especially to torque them to 60 pounds. Impossible to get a socket on the lower right top bolt. Had to guess at that bolt. Others torqued to 60. Changing out hangers is the problem. Plus I drilled out Helwig to 15/32 to fit Ford factory bolts.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #1447

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
X2. Just jack up coach for bolt clearance then reinstall backwards.
No leveling jacks on mine.
Only have a typical rolling car floor jack, but doesn't seem like that would help - Sway bar attached to axle, springs on top of axle - seems like all would be jacked-up together?
Maybe with levelers the chasis raises and wheel/springs would hang lower?
Old 04-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #1448

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Broken Rear sway bar brakets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
Which f53? Weight? Wheel base?
228" wheelbase, 24K I believe, not sure about weight.
Jwgirardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #1449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwgirardi View Post

228" wheelbase, 24K I believe, not sure about weight.
Thanks.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #1450

A lot of people have reported broken or loose bracket bolts and deteriorated bushings.

I tried storing some grade 8 bolts in the attic, but the mice chewed a couple of grades off of them. We have tough mice in AZ.

NAUTIQUE, if you use your leveling jacks, you should be able to move the bolt position to get the bolts out/in.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:39 AM   #1451

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
NAUTIQUE, if you use your leveling jacks, you should be able to move the bolt position to get the bolts out/in.
Dunner,
No leveling jacks on mine.
Only have a typical rolling car floor jack, but doesn't seem like that would help - Sway bar attached to axle, springs on top of axle - seems like all would be jacked-up together?
Old 04-21-2013, 07:29 AM   #1452

Look at the link to the pictures a couple pages back.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #1453

Monaco Owners Club
You will need the floor jack to raise each side of the coach enough to slip the bolts in over the spring into the bar. As the body lifts, the leaf spring will drop down out of the way, not by much, but enough.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #1454

Quote:
You will need the floor jack to raise each side of the coach enough to slip the bolts in over the spring into the bar. As the body lifts, the leaf spring will drop down out of the way, not by much, but enough.
I just connected the high side then put a hydraulic jack under the low sway bar & raised it until the bolts slid in.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #1455

Quote:
That's the way mine went. When you jack up the coach, the springs drop down just barley enough to get the bolts out. Then I put then in backwards so the next time it will be a piece of German chocolate cake.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:25 AM   #1456

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
So, as I think about this some more, I'm guessing I need to find a jack point up on the chasis rail (not under axle) that will raise coach and let the wheel/axle "hang" enough to clear bolt?
I'll get under there again and take a look - I do think it's going to be tough with just a floor jack though. (Actually I get a little freaked trying to lift this beast!)