RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #1485

Good post TeJay. That's all been discussed before, but it's great to have a refresher course. Thx.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2013, 02:57 PM   #1486

Thor Owners Club
Talking Picking it up TODAY!

So excited! The Ford dealer just called and the CHF is done. He said that just driving it around the building after the fix, the mechanic could notice an improvement!
Had the dealer do it for two reasons: 1) Wanted to ensure that the warranty stayed good, and 2) I have the mechanical equivalent of the gardener's "black thumb." (Probably the most important of the two....) http://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/redface.gif

XProfPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #1487

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlaurielucy View Post
How many of you have felt the need to add a rear trac bar after completion of the cheap handling fix?
I did all 3 at the same time (track bar, steering dampener and CHF).
All I know is that I have a better MH than I started with.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #1488

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just did the 1250 mile FL to MI trip up I-75 yesterday (750 miles) and today (500 miles). Man I hate it when they overlay the asphalt with 1.5" or 2" of fresh black and don't do the paved shoulders. You drop the tires into the rumble strips and then fight to bring them back up on the main road after getting blown over by a passing truck. That is when you really start rocking and rolling. Hope the CHF will work for me. Still have white knuckles.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #1489

That's what I mean when I occasionally wander over to the drunk bumps. I can recover with one hand.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #1490

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Got the front done, took 7 minutes after getting my tools ready. Rear took another 50 minutes as I had to jack up the rear to equalize the axle and then beat the snot out of one frozen bolt. Finally got both sides loose and realized I will need adjustable links as the bar hits the pumpkin even before I get bolts in the other holes. Got them on order now. While I wait for the links to appear, guess I will get out the grease gun, after looking up the link as to all of the grease point locations.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #1491

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
I just did the 1250 mile FL to MI trip up I-75 yesterday (750 miles) and today (500 miles). Man I hate it when they overlay the asphalt with 1.5" or 2" of fresh black and don't do the paved shoulders. You drop the tires into the rumble strips and then fight to bring them back up on the main road after getting blown over by a passing truck. That is when you really start rocking and rolling. Hope the CHF will work for me. Still have white knuckles.
My gut feeling is the problem you describe re the drop off is due more to the lack of a front track bar rather than sway bar issues. Do you have a track bar?
Old 05-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #1492

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Last week we were on I-40 west of Kingman, AZ. They were in the process of resurfacing the road. Problem was they had only done one lane about 1-1/2 to 2". Each time I would pass someone going from one lane and back to the other was a lot of fun. Wasn't real bad just needed to keep a firm hold on the wheel. I think without the fix the transition would have been much harder.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, B&W Custom Truck Bed, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:05 PM   #1493

That always scares me in any vehicle.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #1494

I did the CHF and am liking it very much. I live in a very windy area and it was getting impossible to tell if I was actually being pushed or just rocking. This seems to fix my problem. No more rocking, when 41mph gust moves me I know exactly what's going on
Brandonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:15 AM   #1495

Ford Super Duty Owner
ghutch,
You've got a 2012 Vista 30T. We are heading to Iowa to order one. I will check to see what the chassis has installed. I thought that it had some kind of steering dampener but maybe I'm wrong. I didn't know if it had a trac bar and I guess it does not. I'll perform the CHF after we drive the 500 miles home. The coach won't be built for 8 weeks so I guess that's in July.
Dunner, If memory serves me right, which means I'm probably wrong, I think you built a trac bar for your unit. Now I did read all 107 pages of the CHF so I did read it somewhere. I'd like to build one also. do you have any dimensions or suggestions as to what to do to build one???? I've got access to a machine shop, welders etc. I just have to make sure that I use the correct steel. Any info would be appreciated. Heck if I can save $300 - $400 building my own I'll do it.
Thanks,
TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #1496

I used some 1/2" chromoly tubing, but mild steel might work just as good. The commercial ones are 3/4" I already had the rod ends and the 3/8" plate steel that went on the diff and frame. Omey's site has a lot of examples to look at, but they are for a WH chassis. Mine went from the far side of the diff to the opposite side of the frame. Just get under there with a pad, pencil and tape measure.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #1497

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dunner,
Thanks, That sounds like a plan. I guess shock ends would be good because they have to pivot as things move up and down. I'll give that some thought. Since we just ordered the coach there's no big hurry. Making the plans on improvements is half of the fun. The other half will be driving the finished product

Thanks,
TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #1498

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
ghutch,
You've got a 2012 Vista 30T. We are heading to Iowa to order one. I will check to see what the chassis has installed. I thought that it had some kind of steering dampener but maybe I'm wrong. I didn't know if it had a trac bar and I guess it does not. I'll perform the CHF after we drive the 500 miles home. The coach won't be built for 8 weeks so I guess that's in July.
Dunner, If memory serves me right, which means I'm probably wrong, I think you built a trac bar for your unit. Now I did read all 107 pages of the CHF so I did read it somewhere. I'd like to build one also. do you have any dimensions or suggestions as to what to do to build one???? I've got access to a machine shop, welders etc. I just have to make sure that I use the correct steel. Any info would be appreciated. Heck if I can save $300 - $400 building my own I'll do it.
Thanks,
TeJay
I think you will find that the newer F53s have front and rear sway bars but only a front trac bar.

garykk is online now   Reply With Quote