RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #183

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Looks like? Looks like I'm gonna have to crawl under the rear and do an exact measurement. Oh well, maybe it will loosen up my back. That and another Vic. Mind you, all my measurement are on a 2004 National Sea Breeze 1311 on a F53 chassis. As always YMMV.
Vicadin can make you do strange things!

2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #184

Quote:
Looks similiar to mine and the bar would hit the diff where the bar goes under the diff, with the rear suspension near full extension (raised up with the jacks), which that much travel probably wouldn't happen under normal driving, so like you said it might not be worth doing anything about it to some people. Kind of surprised your doesn't make contact because it looks the same. Also, the links get close to contacting those side brackets where the link bolts to the sway bar towards full suspension travel.
I see what you are saying, and if I was jumping motorcycles, I might be concerned.

The pic is deceiving. When I checked it today, there is plenty of clearance between the link and the Z bracket and the anti-sway bar and the diff.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:01 PM   #185

National RV Owners Club
Without the jacks down mine appears to have a lot of travel too. I was surprised at how much the bar swings up towards the diff as the body is lifted up.

I don't plan on jumping anything, it didn't hit before, so I didn't like it hitting after doing the mode is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I see what you are saying, and if I was jumping motorcycles, I might be concerned.

The pic is deceiving. When I checked it today, there is plenty of clearance between the link and the Z bracket and the anti-sway bar and the diff.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:31 AM   #186

I wrote myself a note to take a pic tomorrow with the jacks down.

I think that is what was mentioned; with the jacks down, it hits. Humm...

I don't think that will be a problem, although it's going to mess up my motorcycle jumping schedule.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:26 AM   #187

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
Darn it! Wish I had of figured out a way to market this modification instead of giving it away to all my new friends on this forum. Maybe I would have enough money to actually go somewhere in my motorhome!

You can try and bill us, do you take IOU's?

I bet you could offer a 'handling improvement kit' on ebay. Offer a full blown kit with detailed instructions, pics, adjustable links and poly bushings.

The words 'improvement' and 'kit' always get my attention. All the detail work is done, bolt-on and go.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:50 AM   #188

Ford Super Duty Owner
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
Darn it! Wish I had of figured out a way to market this modification instead of giving it away to all my new friends on this forum. Maybe I would have enough money to actually go somewhere in my motorhome!

Probably some of the after market manufacturers have already checked with their lawyers to see if they have any legal grounds because you took away some of their sales. As most may find after doing the modification nothing else is needed. It's the only thing I have done and handling is night and day difference, thanks for taking the time to share.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #189

The only "legal grounds" they could have would be against Ford for making the anti-sway bar with two mounting holes.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #190

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedwards View Post
You can try and bill us, do you take IOU's?

I bet you could offer a 'handling improvement kit' on ebay. Offer a full blown kit with detailed instructions, pics, adjustable links and poly bushings.

The words 'improvement' and 'kit' always get my attention. All the detail work is done, bolt-on and go.
Liability....
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedwards View Post
Looks similiar to mine and the bar would hit the diff where the bar goes under the diff, with the rear suspension near full extension (raised up with the jacks), which that much travel probably wouldn't happen under normal driving, so like you said it might not be worth doing anything about it to some people. Kind of surprised yours doesn't make contact because it looks the same. Also, the links get close to contacting those side brackets where the link bolts to the sway bar towards full suspension travel on mine.

Just thought it was worth mentioning because it is an easy fix if someone chooses to do so.

Can't tell looking at your pic, but I'm guessing it is not with the jacks fully extended, or close to fully extending the suspension.
Just checked mine with the jacks fully extended. It does hit the diff, but I think we agree that under normal driving conditions, it probably won't hit. If I have to camp where I have to fully extend any of the jacks, I'm moving.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #192

I just looked under my F53 V10 because this sounds like something I would like to try. However, it looks like if I move the bolt to the back hole (nearest the axle) that the end of the sway bar would hit my spring.
maryandbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #193

Front or rear? I have since made and put on longer links on the front.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:14 PM   #194

Front
maryandbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #195

Put your front jacks all the way down and see if it hits the springs. If it looks like it will with the mod, make or buy some longer links.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #196

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by navychaps View Post
Ok, I did the fix using Hellwig 7962 adjustable end links.

I was able to keep the original angles by adjusting the links to the exact length needed.

I drove the rig for about 12 miles and the steering and lean seems to be tighter.

I will find out for sure how well this fix worked when I head out on my next trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryandbill View Post
I just looked under my F53 V10 because this sounds like something I would like to try. However, it looks like if I move the bolt to the back hole (nearest the axle) that the end of the sway bar would hit my spring.
Here are pics of mine with Hellwig adjustable links.

2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote