Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2014, 07:16 PM   #2073

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
For future reference the Hellwig 7962 adjustable sway bar links do NOT work on the OEM Ford F53 sway bars. I ordered them and the bolts and link are way too small in diameter. I also called Hellwig about this issue and Kevin from Hellwig said DO NOT use these on the F53 chassis as they are too weak.
How about another vote on this issue to find out how many people have used Hellwigs to do this mod. I just removed mine, the Hellwig bushings (using Ford sleeves) were shot on the driver side.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2014, 07:20 PM   #2074

Quote:
For future reference the Hellwig 7962 adjustable sway bar links do NOT work on the OEM Ford F53 sway bars. I ordered them and the bolts and link are way too small in diameter. I also called Hellwig about this issue and Kevin from Hellwig said DO NOT use these on the F53 chassis as they are too weak.

I used the stock OEM Ford bolts and drilled out the metal hellwig bushings to fit them. I just checked everything after a 1300 mile trip, it all looks perfect.
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:37 PM   #2075

Quote:
Originally Posted by chogard View Post
What did they say to use?
Just use you factory links like I did. I stated weeks ago on this thread that I thought they were weak with the all thread and the ill fitting bushings and bolts and all. The hellwigs are junk like I said before.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #2076

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM251ss View Post
I used the stock OEM Ford bolts and drilled out the metal hellwig bushings to fit them. I just checked everything after a 1300 mile trip, it all looks perfect.
I did the same thing with hellwigs. If they break I will put the factory ones back on.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:04 PM   #2077

Quote:
Originally Posted by chogard View Post
What did they say to use?
They suggested I call Ford for a longer link.
They also suggested I buy their rear sway bar kit which works in conjugation with the OEM sway bar. (2 bars) Their rear sway bar faces towards the rear of the coach, OEM faces towards the front. He said the rear of these HM's need anti-sway upgrades more than the front. (I agree)

My rear sway bar is 1 1/2"...Hellwig 1 3/4"

I can buy 4 air bags for the cost of their rear sway bar, I leaning toward installing air bags.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:53 PM   #2078

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed the Roadmaster 1-3/4" auxiliary anti-sway bar, well worth the money in my opinion, it is a front facing bar Yes, it is expensive but the way it improved the handling I would do it again, factory bar is 1-3/8". I installed it myself, not bad if you have the tools and correct jack stands Got mine at etrailer.com best price I could find with free shipping.
https://www.etrailer.com/p-1139-144.html

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:26 PM   #2079

Koni's in the house

Got the Koni's in the mail today. Packaging from Autoplicity look amateur at best. Literally looks like something that was packaged by my kids. I am wondering if I should check with Koni to make sure they are not rip-offs. Not sure why, but I expected them to look a bit more "refined". The stickers are on crooked and the paint is not great looking quality.... I know, maybe just aesthetics, but Autoplicity was a weird experience and too cheap to be true. Should I check to see if these are authentic???
Old 03-26-2014, 01:27 AM   #2080

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vegas View Post
Autoplicity was a weird experience and too cheap to be true. Should I check to see if these are authentic???
Yes. Something strange going on here.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:47 AM   #2081

I got my konis from koni-na.com they looked perfect and shiney. Paint, stickers, and all.
Brandonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:06 AM   #2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vegas View Post
Got the Koni's in the mail today. Packaging from Autoplicity look amateur at best. Literally looks like something that was packaged by my kids. I am wondering if I should check with Koni to make sure they are not rip-offs. Not sure why, but I expected them to look a bit more "refined". The stickers are on crooked and the paint is not great looking quality.... I know, maybe just aesthetics, but Autoplicity was a weird experience and too cheap to be true. Should I check to see if these are authentic???
That doesn't sound right for such an expensive shock. I would do some checking, too.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:10 AM   #2083

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I would challenge this advice. They fit fine on my rears (had to use them as I had to maintain a 90 degree angle due to the bar going under the pumpkin) except as with everyone else I had to drill out the bushing slightly to fit the Ford bolts. No one on this site has ever had them fail. If you look at the Hellwigs, in addition to being adjustable, they are far and away more substantial than the original links.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:14 AM   #2084

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Just use you factory links like I did. I stated weeks ago on this thread that I thought they were weak with the all thread and the ill fitting bushings and bolts and all. The hellwigs are junk like I said before.
What leads you to this conclusion? Have you ever seen one in person or put a wrench to it? Or are you just trolling.

From Wikipedia: In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtrl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally[3][4] or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[5] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:22 AM   #2085

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Not sure which Hellwigs you got. The ones I received and installed were overkill for the application.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:25 AM   #2086

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
I would challenge this advice. They fit fine on my rears (had to use them as I had to maintain a 90 degree angle due to the bar going under the pumpkin) except as with everyone else I had to drill out the bushing slightly to fit the Ford bolts. No one on this site has ever had them fail. If you look at the Hellwigs, in addition to being adjustable, they are far and away more substantial than the original links.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote