Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2014, 06:34 PM   #2101

Well, finally got a chance to test out the Hellwigs with some winds from FL to SC. It could be me, but it felt better with the stock links. Could it be that the urethane bushings on the Hellwigs are softer than the stock ones and they squish more and therefore more sway? I was getting pushed around pretty good and I do have both front/rear CHF and Blue Ox trac. What's the next upgrade? Beefier front anti sway bar?
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2014, 07:27 PM   #2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
Well, finally got a chance to test out the Hellwigs with some winds from FL to SC. It could be me, but it felt better with the stock links. Could it be that the urethane bushings on the Hellwigs are softer than the stock ones and they squish more and therefore more sway? I was getting pushed around pretty good and I do have both front/rear CHF and Blue Ox trac. What's the next upgrade? Beefier front anti sway bar?
Interesting......I can't say i'd disagree. The Hellwigs wont help with sway, they will give you more suspension travel and a more comfortable ride on a rough road.
I'm trying to order air bags front and rear but no one has any at this date for the 18,000 F53 chassis. (mid May timeline)
Old 03-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #2103

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Idaho,
just as you stated my links are both 11" from hole to hole. It will be an easy fix to extend the rear links to what ever it will take to get the bars level. I think I can find some round pipe so the link bar will fit inside. That's an easy weld.

TeJay
As with Hellwig playing CYA on their adjustable links, I don't imagine Ford would be too happy with a home welded fix on their links either.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:39 PM   #2104

Ford Super Duty Owner
Am I concerned about what Ford might say??? Not really. I'm sure if I had an issue with the sway bar and the links, which I doubt would ever happen, they might raise a fuss. When I'm done rest assured my extended links will be as strong or stronger than their original links.
It's really to bad what the lawyers have done in this country. Lets be honest, while some may have the consumers best interest at heart they are really just interested in the bottom line.

Have you ever investigated how the TT industry builds travel trailers on the edge of disaster and very few complain. Axles, brakes, suspensions and tires are MARGINAL on every PULL BEHIND UNIT out there.

TeJay
Old 03-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #2105

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
Interesting......I can't say i'd disagree. The Hellwigs wont help with sway, they will give you more suspension travel and a more comfortable ride on a rough road.
I'm trying to order air bags front and rear but no one has any at this date for the 18,000 F53 chassis. (mid May timeline)
Are you talking about the Hellwig sway bar kit? I'm currently on the road with the CHF and the adjustable Hellwig links. To me, it felt like the CHF with the stock links did a better job. Not sure if it's just in my head or if the actual Hellwig bushings are softer allowing for more sway. When I get home I'm going to swap back to original links and deal with the premature wheels off the ground unless I can find a longer Ford set.

What would be the next best upgrade? Thicker front sway bar or bags? You can drive with one finger in a total dead calm, but the minute it gets windy things change.

I'd like to know if that's just how it is and my current setup is as good as it's going to get. I'm running 82 psi in front, 87 in rear, both CHFs, and Ox trac bar.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:22 PM   #2106

Quote:
Are you talking about the Hellwig sway bar kit? I'm currently on the road with the CHF and the adjustable Hellwig links. To me, it felt like the CHF with the stock links did a better job. Not sure if it's just in my head or if the actual Hellwig bushings are softer allowing for more sway. When I get home I'm going to swap back to original links and deal with the premature wheels off the ground unless I can find a longer Ford set.

What would be the next best upgrade? Thicker front sway bar or bags? You can drive with one finger in a total dead calm, but the minute it gets windy things change.

I'd like to know if that's just how it is and my current setup is as good as it's going to get. I'm running 82 psi in front, 87 in rear, both CHFs, and Ox trac bar.
Just the links....I sent the Hellwig links back. I want air bags but Firestone isnt making them again till May, and Airlift's are at best a few weeks away (they are doing inventory now and don't know what they have in stock)

The steering damper helped my wander (basically gone)....have one of those yet?
Old 03-29-2014, 03:54 PM   #2107

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
Just the links....I sent the Hellwig links back. I want air bags but Firestone isnt making them again till May, and Airlift's are at best a few weeks away (they are doing inventory now and don't know what they have in stock)

The steering damper helped my wander (basically gone)....have one of those yet?
Well, when I ordered the trac bar I also ordered the yellow centering one with springs. I then realized that it would only help in case of a blow out so I cancel the order.

Which one do you have that got rid of the wonder?
Old 03-29-2014, 10:34 PM   #2108

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Considering the size of your rig and the fact you already have done the CHF and trak bar. I might take a look at your tire pressures? 82 front and 87 rear seems on the low side for me. Sidewall squirm could certainly be causing some of your problem. If you have the standard Goodyears you should have a fair amount of room to move up before even approaching MAX cold pressures. Check Goodyears recommendations, but I would look there before adding any more hardware. It's easy to let it back out if it doesn't help! Good Luck!
mus289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:50 AM   #2109

Quote:
Originally Posted by mus289 View Post
Considering the size of your rig and the fact you already have done the CHF and trak bar. I might take a look at your tire pressures? 82 front and 87 rear seems on the low side for me. Sidewall squirm could certainly be causing some of your problem. If you have the standard Goodyears you should have a fair amount of room to move up before even approaching MAX cold pressures. Check Goodyears recommendations, but I would look there before adding any more hardware. It's easy to let it back out if it doesn't help! Good Luck!
When we picked up the coach the dealer had them all set to 82.

I know the correct way is to have it weighed. Since the decal inside the coach says they should be at 92 I figured I go somewhere in between and filled them all up to 87. Now, on our way back to OH, I deflated the fronts to 82 and it feels a bit better. My train of thought was actually backwards from yours. I figured more air, less area of contact with the ground...didn't think about sidewall squirm.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:03 AM   #2110

Quote:

Well, when I ordered the trac bar I also ordered the yellow centering one with springs. I then realized that it would only help in case of a blow out so I cancel the order.

Which one do you have that got rid of the wonder?
Which one was that?
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:02 PM   #2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by mus289 View Post
I took you up on the higher PSI and the change was dramatic. It was cold this morning at the campground in VA so I only managed to inflate the two front ones to 92 PSI. I left the rears at 87. I have TPMs and in order to remove them, the hub caps have to some off. It was super windy with salt mash on the ground through the mountains and it was all very manageable. Like you said, the lower pressure caused the front tires to squirm.

Now I need to find out what the next best improvement is. I'm going to post the question on a poll.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:00 PM   #2112

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad to hear you saw some improvement al2ride! I have the same size tires as you on my Damon 37ft, but run the Michelin XRV's. I normally run them within a few lbs of max. You see a lot of advice to run lower pressures however, my ride is plenty smooth and over the years you hardly ever see someone who has worn out the center treads of a car or truck tire running too high of pressure, but certainly see a whole lot who wear down the side tread from running too low of pressures. That's my simple opinion. And car manufacturers recommend low tire pressures so you get a comfy ride, but they aren't replacing your worn out tires later on either. Ok I'm off my soap box now.
From an old Army Vet to the USAF Vet, Happy Trails!
mus289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:07 PM   #2113

I think I will try the CHF this weekend to see how much of a difference it makes. From looking at all the post hopefully it really make a big difference in the way it handles.

USAF Air Force Retired
CanAmMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #2114

Winnebago Owners Club
Would this void the warranty on a new MH if I moved the bars?
carluv is offline   Reply With Quote