Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #2171

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok, you guys got me, I ordered the Koni shocks for the front today.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #2172

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks a heap Dunner. It's about time kscrude tells us how he feels about those Bilstein shocks. I kind of got the feeling that he was holding back a little. LOL

TeJay
Old 04-22-2014, 06:04 PM   #2173

NAUTIQUE, I see where you have the "STEER SAFE" on your rig. How do you like it?
kyrv37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:49 AM   #2174

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippo View Post
Nautique, I think if you can jack the front up to take some of the weight off the front springs you will find you can get the bolts out. Jacking both side up equal may help.
I think I see what you guys are saying - jacking the frame itself (not under the axle where the leafs are shimmed).
Seems to make sense - I had been thinking if it was up on a lift with the wheels "hanging" it would probably move enough to clear.
I'll have to take a look to see if there's a spot where I can get a jack up to the frame.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:03 AM   #2175

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrv37 View Post
NAUTIQUE, I see where you have the "STEER SAFE" on your rig. How do you like it?
Just after I first bought the rig, we took an April trip from Ma. down to Myrtle beach.
High winds all the way down had me all over the road, white-knuckled and exhausted by the time I got there.
Drove it over to Camping World and said "I need something done before driving it back home". Their suggestion was the Steer Safe.
I liked that it assisted the steering and also added saftey with a blow-out.
I'm happy with it.

I eventually also added the Ultra-Trac rear trac bar.
I think the two together are a very good combination.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #2176

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ordered my Ford F53 Koni shocks from Autoplicity with free shipping for the front yesterday at 1:30 pm, less than 24 hours later they were delivered to my door at 10:15 am today. how did they do that?
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:19 AM   #2177

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippo View Post
Ordered my Ford F53 Koni shocks from Autoplicity with free shipping for the front yesterday at 1:30 pm, less than 24 hours later they were delivered to my door at 10:15 am today. how did they do that?
I ordered the front set yesterday, but I'm thinking of cancelling the order. My concern is that the konis will give the coach more sway since it will make a softer ride. I rather have a stiff sporty ride than sway.

I have read lots of positive feedback on softening the ride, but have read some where it also allowed for more sway. Not sure if it's true or not, and for sure it will be different on different trucks. So far, our coach has come a long way from the way it used to be when we first got it. We can now drive it on very windy days without jumping lanes, but will always look for that extra percentage of improvement if it's available. I had planned on steering dampener, air bags, and shocks last. Being that the konis were such a good price I jumped on it. Now, I'm sitting on the fence if they are worth it or not.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:19 AM   #2178

Damon Owners Club
Thumbs up Extended links

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
al2ride,
Here's some pics of the extended (2") original links. I think they look like they could have been stock. The section right after the bend on the anti-sway bar is level. As earlier indicated it cost me $45 to have them done. The end result is the links are extended. The sway bar is close to level. I've got the original bushings which should last a lot longer than 2 years. I didn't spend $100 + for other links that might only give me 2 years of service. I also have no doubt that they are stronger than the original links.

NOTE: I automatic leveled in my drive after the test drive and the wheels are no longer coming off the ground as can be seen in the pics. That was the original intent of the 2" extension.
ALSO: Do as I just did CLICK on the images and you'll get a littler larger and clearer pictures . They look pretty good to me.

TeJay
You had the same idea I had only I drilled 4 holes thru tubing and also plug welded the links as well as welding on the end.Maybe overkill but I know they are strong and you would not know they weren't factory links unless you had seen the originals.
rtrdglazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:44 PM   #2179

Ford Super Duty Owner
al2ride,
I can understand your concern about having more sway if the shock is softer. I believe it will be one of items that you really won't know on your coach until you install and test them. That's why I'm very reluctant to pull the trigger on Koni's since mine are on 6,000 miles old and not worn out (IMHO) yet. The shocks can and will dampen on the compression stroke and on the rebound stroke. If it is metered correctly it may be softer or stiffer on either stroke to give you the ride you want. Maybe a call to tech support at Koni will give you an answer.

A steering stabilizer shock is designed much different from a suspension shock. First they are horizontal. Secondly they have to dampen in both directions. Of course the amount of dampening will vary from shock to shock. I bought a shock at a counter guys recommendation. I've driven it some and It does make a difference in feel. Have not spent any time on the freeway yet. My first impression is that they will help with wind and control. I'll probably buy a better quality shock next year.

TeJay
Old 04-23-2014, 07:12 PM   #2180

F-53 22k. Took in for warranty work yesterday. After buying last year drove home and searched the internet. Thank everyone for this forum. We took a trip of 40 miles our first weekend, it was just like when I brought it home from the dealer 150 miles. I felt like I was drunk all over the road. I found this forum did the CHF took a 450 mile trip with many more smiles. Checked the torque and re-torqued. Took another 500 mile trip another 300 mile trip and all has been much better. Checked torque all good not going to re-check. The trip to the dealer I had high side winds and a well rutted road. South Texas lots of oil field trucks and normal winds 15-20 and gusting. I told them to install the Safet-T-Plus will see how it works on trip home. Still running stock bilstein's ride fine to me. I see where people are worried about the front wheels coming off the ground. #1 it did it before you did the CHF, I checked. #2 put blocks under the wheels to semi-level and no more problems.
Michael Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:25 AM   #2181

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
al2ride,
I can understand your concern about having more sway if the shock is softer. I believe it will be one of items that you really won't know on your coach until you install and test them. That's why I'm very reluctant to pull the trigger on Koni's since mine are on 6,000 miles old and not worn out (IMHO) yet. The shocks can and will dampen on the compression stroke and on the rebound stroke. If it is metered correctly it may be softer or stiffer on either stroke to give you the ride you want. Maybe a call to tech support at Koni will give you an answer.

A steering stabilizer shock is designed much different from a suspension shock. First they are horizontal. Secondly they have to dampen in both directions. Of course the amount of dampening will vary from shock to shock. I bought a shock at a counter guys recommendation. I've driven it some and It does make a difference in feel. Have not spent any time on the freeway yet. My first impression is that they will help with wind and control. I'll probably buy a better quality shock next year.

TeJay
TeJay, I think the steering stabilizer will be next. Have to get DW to approve the funds though. I have to wait until she is in a very good mood before my pitch. I'm pretty sure I want the TruCenter kit. My RV ADHD will drive me nuts with ones you have to pull over to re-center.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:28 AM   #2182

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
I ordered the front set yesterday, but I'm thinking of cancelling the order. My concern is that the konis will give the coach more sway since it will make a softer ride. I rather have a stiff sporty ride than sway.

I have read lots of positive feedback on softening the ride, but have read some where it also allowed for more sway. Not sure if it's true or not, and for sure it will be different on different trucks. So far, our coach has come a long way from the way it used to be when we first got it. We can now drive it on very windy days without jumping lanes, but will always look for that extra percentage of improvement if it's available. I had planned on steering dampener, air bags, and shocks last. Being that the konis were such a good price I jumped on it. Now, I'm sitting on the fence if they are worth it or not.
The Konis utilize a sophisticated valve system that softens the little shock bumps like rough expansion strips without softening the larger shock movements that cause sway.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:38 AM   #2183

Maybe a little off topic from the CHF, but probably a good place to post my stupid question. So you bought your brand new coach on a F53 chassis. How is it that without any modifications the truck is all over the road. I understand anti sway bars, correct tire pressure, etc. What I don't understand is the physics part of it. Let's say that the steering wheel is locked in place straight and level and you are going down the road. How is it that another force can cause the truck to move from its trajectory. I can understand that in an aircraft, but in a vehicle all four wheels are in contact with the ground. Is it because the wheels are sort of skipping on the road? Is it because there is a certain amount of give from the steering wheel to the actual wheels? Meaning, that even though the steering wheel is locked in place, the actual wheels are moving in yaw a certain amount causing the trajectory change. Maybe I'm overthinking this. Need more coffee.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:45 AM   #2184

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
The Konis utilize a sophisticated valve system that softens the little shock bumps like rough expansion strips without softening the larger shock movements that cause sway.
Makes sense CJ. Back in my enduro days I rode a Honda that would rattle me to death on washboards. When I got my KTM EXC I could go full throttle through them. The front shocks were amazing on that Austrian bike. Must be an European thing to make more sophisticated suspensions.