RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2011, 11:55 PM   #239

Follow up... 1500 miles this week with the fix in place. The change in ride/sway is noticeable but not dramatic. My co-pilot (Wife) notice the difference as well. She was much more comfortable riding in the front seat.
An excellent no $$$$$ spent modification.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #240

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was finally shamed into doing the rear. I look forward to taking it out this weekend and testing it. Enjoy the photos.

holstein13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #241

Ford Super Duty Owner
I did the rear last week and a rear track bar. Did a short test drive and noticed a big difference in side winds and trucks overtaking . Waiting for the Hellwig 7962 links to do the front. I just did not like the looks of the angle on the front links after moving the stock links. It's probably just me.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #242

Winnebago Owners Club
I haven't read all 18 pages of this thread, so excuse me if this question has already been covered. What is Ford's position on this mod?? My coach is still under warranty and I'd hate to jeopardize that by making this change to the suspension.
LAT-LON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #243

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAT-LON View Post
I haven't read all 18 pages of this thread, so excuse me if this question has already been covered. What is Ford's position on this mod?? My coach is still under warranty and I'd hate to jeopardize that by making this change to the suspension.
I suppose if you broke a sway bar you might have an issue, but in general it's the drive train (engine, trans and rear-end) that is the items most often sent for warranty work. Not something I would worry about...but I tend to not worry about a lot of stuff.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #244

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAT-LON View Post

Quite a while back, someone said they had the Ford dealer do the mod on the front for them while the MH was in for another issue. They didn't seem to have an issue I guess. Anywho, I can't see how this mod affects anything but the geometry which addind track bars and the like also tend to do. The difference is so much better that I did mine and have not looked back. Though I have no warranty issues.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #245

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot View Post
I did the rear last week and a rear track bar. Did a short test drive and noticed a big difference in side winds and trucks overtaking . Waiting for the Hellwig 7962 links to do the front. I just did not like the looks of the angle on the front links after moving the stock links. It's probably just me.
Please keep us posted on the Hellwig links. I had ordered them before I did my mod and tried my best to use them but I had two problems. First, I couldn't get the two ends screwed into each other. I think the thread patterns were different on both ends and Secondly, one of the bushing inserts they sent was much too big to fit inside the bushing. I was so disgusted, I sent the whole thing back to Amazon and simply did the mod without the new links. Frankly, I'm glad I did it anyway and now I can't see much advantage to the adjustable links.
holstein13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #246

I made longer links because I had some spare chromoly in the attic and some shock ends and also some poly bushings left over from a truck suspension mod.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner
I made longer links because I had some spare chromoly in the attic and some shock ends and also some poly bushings left over from a truck suspension mod.
Just thought you might be interested..... I looked under my MH and the sway bar was falling off! It 6mo old and we just drove 1250 mi. Must have fell off just as we got to TX!
Newellri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #248

Will check that, if I ever get it back. :( They were tight when I did the mod. Had to use a 1/2 ton jack to align the inner holes.

Sounds like it was never tightened from the factory.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #249

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by holstein13 View Post
Please keep us posted on the Hellwig links. I had ordered them before I did my mod and tried my best to use them but I had two problems. First, I couldn't get the two ends screwed into each other. I think the thread patterns were different on both ends and Secondly, one of the bushing inserts they sent was much too big to fit inside the bushing. I was so disgusted, I sent the whole thing back to Amazon and simply did the mod without the new links. Frankly, I'm glad I did it anyway and now I can't see much advantage to the adjustable links.
I installed the Hellwigs on the front. I had no problem assembling them. The ends screwed together easily.
I did something a little different that is sure to generate some comments.
My Bounder has always had a slight lean to the passenger’s side. The lean was 1 inches front and rear measured at the wheel openings and 1/8 bubble on the floor. I noticed when I disconnected the drivers side sway bar link the rear lean increased to 1 inches. I took one of the front links, they are inches longer than the rear links and installed it on the drivers side rear in the inner hole and moved the passengers side rear link to the inner hole, the rear lean decreased to inch.
I installed the Hellwigs on the front and adjusted the driver’s side link to inches longer than the passenger’s side link and installed them in the inner holes. The front lean decreased to inch.
I know the accepted way to correct lean is to re-arch the springs or install airbags. I have road tested this configuration and the steering and handling is great.
Comments please.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #250

Looked under my motorhome and found the sway bar had come loose and was falling off. Ford is fixing tomorrow.. Just drove to tx 1250 mi.
You could clearly see where the bolt came loose. The mechanic spoke almost no English, had to have a translator, he seamed to know his stuff!
Newellri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #251

Hipshot,

You do realize that this puts a constant twist on the anti-sway bar. Normal static twist on the bar is zero.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #252

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Hipshot,

You do realize that this puts a constant twist on the anti-sway bar. Normal static twist on the bar is zero.
Yes I do. The twist is not that much. Seems to me the force would be like driving on a crowned road or parking sideways on a hill. I don't know what the longterm effects of this are going to be. I have a 1000 mile trip comming up. I plan to measure the lean before the trip then after. Then disconnect the driverside links and measure again. My concern is the sway bar will take a set from the constant twist and become less effective. Has anyone ever put a constant twist on a sway bar for a long period of time?