Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2015, 07:04 AM   #2983

Newmar Owners Club
I thank you all for the replies, I am getting the tools out today and look forward to a better ride!

Stay Safe,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2015, 10:37 AM   #2984

Send a message via AIM to sc300turbo
I did my front and rear CHF ...2010 winnebago sightseer...22.5 rims..Michelin tiers. ...and adjusted my tire pressures. They were at 105 front and 110 rear from the dealer...put them too 90 front and rear as recommended by winnebago....I've had the camper for 4 months now. Done 4 trips ..this was a huge difference. ...before 70mph was scary and body roll was huge. ...as well as wind and fly bys ...yesterday with low wind I hit 75 confidently and sway and blow bys were much more controlled. Can't believe such a small modification made such a difference. .much much happier with my camper now. ...now want to do a home made track bar and front steering stabilizer
Old 07-12-2015, 11:35 AM   #2985

Ford Super Duty Owner
sc300turbo,
I'll put some pictures of my front stabilizer build on the same thread as the track bar if you're interested. It's a little more difficult to build but that's how it goes.

TeJay
Old 07-13-2015, 07:34 AM   #2986

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
CHF

Ok, I will put in my two cents. I did the CHF last week and I drove on I75, I only go at 60MPH so I have a lot of Trailer trucks passing me, I hardly noticed any movement at all. When I left the gas station it had a large dip to the road, hardly noticed any rocking back and forth that I normally do. I'd say it was well worth the time.

I also had the Safe T Plus steering aid installed and I will say it was well worth the money, I can completely take my hands off the wheel for several minutes and it continues going perfectly straight. Yes I had my hands just an inch away from the wheel for safety and was ready to grab it but it was unnecessary. The best money I have spent on improvements.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:28 AM   #2987

Send a message via AIM to sc300turbo
I'm so impressed by the difference. ..Phil. I'll be your way in 3 weeks. Hitting the red coconut! ...
Tejay. ..I'd love to see the pictures. Can you link the thread here?
Old 07-13-2015, 12:26 PM   #2988

Ford Super Duty Owner
300turbo,
Later tonight I'll post some pics here. Got to get back out on my garage projects.

This is the CHF thread so it's probably best we not derail it. I'll just start another thread.

TeJay
Old 07-19-2015, 10:22 AM   #2989

I finally got around to ordering my Helwigs so now its time to install on the front. Without reading all of the 200+ postings is the best measurement 11" for the adjustment of them or have others had better luck with more?
Thank you
rodallg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:30 PM   #2990

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have the adjustable links install the link at the top, then level the arm of the SB and adjust the link until it matches the hole position. It matter very little if you miss level by 1/8." 1/4". a 1/2" or more. John McKinley (The esteemed inventor of the Fix) has over 30,000 miles on his CHF and he has NEVER extended his links.

The key is to get the lever arm of the stabilizer bar as close to level as possible.

I did it because I'm OCD when it comes to things working the BEST that I can get it.

Let us know how it works for you. And by the way you left out a zero. This post makes 2990 on this thread. It's the longest thread on the net (So I've heard). Is there a world record for this???

TeJay
Old 07-19-2015, 04:44 PM   #2991

Forest River Owners Club
TeJay,
Sorry for taking so long to reply. The steering tube itself is sealed. He had Ford fax an exploded view or the column. No zerks anywhere, but three bearings inside the tube. The steering wheel returns perfectly as far as I am concerned. He tried adjusting the steering box first, thinking someone had adjusted it too tight. Turned out to be in the bearings. No holes or zerks that I can find, but haven't been able to catch up to him to talk about it yet. If I find out specifically what he did, I will let you know.
Insane938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:26 PM   #2992

Ford Super Duty Owner
Insane938, No problem with the reply. I hope you were out camping and not just wasting time working. LOL!!

TeJay
Old 07-20-2015, 05:30 AM   #2993

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post

............Let us know how it works for you. And by the way you left out a zero. This post makes 2990 on this thread. It's the longest thread on the net (So I've heard). Is there a world record for this???

TeJay

Erm, not to spoil your party but take a look at the RV Mutant thread. Those dear friends of mine recently passed the 40,000 post mark!
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:41 AM   #2994

Ford Super Duty Owner
Not really a party. It's just something that I had heard. I don't know what that thread is all about. It may be very informative and helpful but I doubt it has offered as much information for quality ride improvement as this thread, but I could be wrong. I will take a look. Thanks!

TeJay
Old 07-20-2015, 06:04 AM   #2995

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Not really a party. It's just something that I had heard. I don't know what that thread is all about. It may be very informative and helpful but I doubt it has offered as much information for quality ride improvement as this thread, but I could be wrong. I will take a look. Thanks!

TeJay

Yes, TeJay, please do take a look. Then, if you are of a mind to, you can submit a post there 1) stating there is something you don't have on your RV that you don't miss and 2) declaring that the journey is the destination. You may then request admittance to RVMutantDom and will then be given the keys to ride the rainbow. Best of luck in your quest.
By the way, I do agree with you about the efficacy of the CHF. I did that on on both our Encounter and the Bounder and I know of at least one RV Mutant who has has done the fix.
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:12 PM   #2996

Forest River Owners Club
TeJay

As a matter of fact...... I was
Insane938 is offline   Reply With Quote