Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #351

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
after reading the comments about shot bushings, i bought a new set, as i figured mine were problay need the, and when i crawled under ,they still look like new, go figure
My old bushings were not worn out either. Not real tight & binding on the bar but snug, didnt look or feel like needed replacing.
I'm really not sure, if the old ones were made out of the same poly stuff like the new blue bushings, except the old ones were black in color. Sure felt the same & shaped the same.
I kind of suspect they must have been replaced some time during those years, cause they just looked to good to have been what came on this chassis.
I would not be afraid to use them over again, so if anybody out there have bushings completely worn out & dont want to buy a set, your welcome to these old bushings I have, just need an address to send them to.
Neil
C-Leigh Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #352

MAN !!!, did a little 30 mile road trip to get the LP tank filled, all I can say is X2, 3 even X4 on the "WOW" factor from moving the front sway bar end links to the second set of holes.
Part of the trip was on the interstate with traffic & trucks,,, I aint chasing that steering wheel anymore.

I made brackets that mount onto the chassis, where the holes for the top of the end link are moved rearward about 4" & lower about 1 1/2", so that the end link would be straight up & down to the sway bar & by being lower them, made the sway bar sit more level to the axle.
Man I had no idea it would make that much difference in the handling.
One other thing I noticed while driving, which is strange & I dont know the reason why, its like it tightened up the steering. You saw on that steering wheel now, like before & that baby moves instantly.
It is so good now, as compared to before the new rear bushings & sway bar mod, I'm wondering if I still need the rear trac bar now, but I'll do it anyways, just to see how much better it makes it handle.

I can say this much, I'm loving this "McKinley Handling Fix".
Neil
C-Leigh Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #353

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I got about 1500 mi in now, it just keeps gettin better and better! 5 Star Tune coming tomorrow....I'll then be in heaven
jlyon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlyon69 View Post
I got about 1500 mi in now, it just keeps gettin better and better! 5 Star Tune coming tomorrow....I'll then be in heaven
Hope you report back soon on the 5 star tune. It is high on my list.

Duncan 12 Vista 26P
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #355

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtr

Duncan 12 Vista 26P
Will do. Leaving Silver Springs on Monday and heading about 60 miles south. I'll giver a good test then. Wont be able to do the big one until we head back to Mich in April.

Ive had no complaints about power, but this constant downshifting has me about crazy! As you probably read, no one has anything bad to say about it.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #356

Moved only the front on my '05 Bounder 32 (22k chassis) then hit I-95 in NC and finished up at Homestead FL this afternoon. Trucks passing and crosswinds are now a non-event. And the drive was much more pleasant and much less tiring. Great mod!!!
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #357

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Duncan 12 Vista 26P
It wasn't a good of test as I was hoping for as our route took us off any interstate.

However, 40 of the 60 miles were on 55mph state roads. The first 20 were on twisty turnys, where about 50 was max. As far as the "fix", I was taking those 30-40 mph curves at 35-45 mph, something I wouldn't have dreamed of before! (Understanding I had no rear sway bar bushings before the fix)

Back to the 5 Star. Throttle response was immediatly noticable as was acceleration. My first eye opener was leaving a stop sign looking at this large hill in front of me. I hit the peddle pretty good. I was in 2nd at the steepest point nearing the top when it upshifted to 3rd. I scared the hell out DW when I yelled "Holy ****"!

In that first 20 mi it downshifted once at 50mph on a decent size hill. (using cruise as much as possible) Now on more straight State roads, maintaing 55-60, it didn't down shift several places it normally would have. It did downshit twice at 50 on 2 good size hills. I was pulling an enclosed 16ft, 3500lb utility trailer.

Overall the trans upshifted much earlier than before and there was a noticable increase in power. Although this wasn't the first test I wanted to do, it was enough to convince me it was $400 well spent!
Old 02-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #358

Great feedback, I appreciate it. You have warmed the cockles of my heart (whatever that means). Between the chreap handling fix, dealing with the bushings, and the 5 star tune, I guess you get a pretty good transformation.

Duncan 2012 Vista 26P
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #359

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Great feedback, I appreciate it. You have warmed the cockles of my heart (whatever that means). Between the chreap handling fix, dealing with the bushings, and the 5 star tune, I guess you get a pretty good transformation.

Duncan 2012 Vista 26P
You got that right Even working on my back for an hour in freezing temps and 400 bucks, I'd do it again tomorrow
Old 02-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #360

Don't forget that somebody suggested starting the engine to take the chill off when you were under there.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #361

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner
Don't forget that somebody suggested starting the engine to take the chill off when you were under there.
I knew you would bring that up at some point I did think about that the night before, but thought I might cut my head off.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #362

Where's you leash?

1) Start engine
2) Warm engine up
3) Shut engine off
4) Work on sway bar
5) Put tools away
6) Wash hands
7) Drink adult warming fluid.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #363

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner
Where's you leash?

1) Start engine
2) Warm engine up
3) Shut engine off
4) Work on sway bar
5) Put tools away
6) Wash hands
7) Drink adult warming fluid.
It was more like this....
#7, #7, #7
#4, #7, #4, #7
Check fan blade location
Don't remember much after that. Did have a nice warm breeze on me all the time.

Next day on the rear, I had to eliminate #7 as I used it too many times the day before.

Nice warm breeze from the front and some nice radiant heat from the exaust system. After breathing the fumes for 15 mins, I didn't need #7 anyway
Old 02-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #364

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlyon69 View Post
It was more like this....
#7, #7, #7
#4, #7, #4, #7
Check fan blade location
Hey y'all watch this ^^^^