Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2016, 11:20 AM   #3935

Tiffin Owners Club
Hudsoner:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
While installing the Sumo Maxine springs in the front of my motorhome, my son had to loosen the sway bar to get enough axle drop for getting the Sumo's in.
At that time he checked for the brackets, and everything was OK, but he discovered that the sway bar in the CHF hits the springs. Because of this he undid the CHF in the front.

It looks like as if we have to fabricate those fancy brackets to position the sway bar into the right location.
But first things first. First is to go out to Califonia and Oregon, and once I am back I know how the Sumo's perform and we also can start the bracket fabrication.
The brackets will give you an adjustable CHF, but just extending the front links to 12 3/4" seems to work too. Either way should get the sway bar off the springs. I posted some pictures a few pages back of my extended links(Post #3915).

Regards, Jerry
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2016, 01:41 PM   #3936

Ford Super Duty Owner
Redlands Truck and RV recommended a Roadmaster Polyurethane Bushing Kit for Ford F-53 (Rear), part # 4139-300, as a cure for breaking swaybar brackets. The brackets are beefier than the OEM ones and I had them installed yesterday so I would not have to deal with lost bolts or broken brackets anymore. Check them out on Roadmaster's web site.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:43 PM   #3937
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryP View Post
Hudsoner:

The brackets will give you an adjustable CHF, but just extending the front links to 12 3/4" seems to work too. Either way should get the sway bar off the springs. I posted some pictures a few pages back of my extended links(Post #3915).

Regards, Jerry
Thanks, I did show them to my son and he said that it will be no problem to produce them (he has the materials and the tools to do light manufacturing)
Old 08-31-2016, 01:29 PM   #3938

Thor Owners Club
Loosen SB brackets to allow some movement?

I have just done the CHF front and rear on my 2014 Thor ACE 30.1 and , as advertised, WOW! A question though: I moved the bar ends with a jack to get alignment with the inner holes for the links but should I have temporarily loosened the SB bracket bolts to allow movement for the whole bar at that time rather than just tensioning the bar ends? Have I significantly increased the stress on the brackets ?
jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:08 PM   #3939

Ford Super Duty Owner
If the link ends don't move easily it's not a big issue. Consider what you have. A link is bolted onto the frame. There is a bushing (POLY) and a center sleeve around the bolt. When the bolt is tightened down to 66 ft/lbs there's enough pressure so the link won't turn on the bushing. My guess is when it gets used some the bushing will simply adjust to it's new position relieving any tension that's there. I'd bet if you disconnected the SB end the bushing would stay right where it is.

As far as any tension. There is tension only when the coach is leaning. One end twists up and the other twists down placing some twisting tension on the SB. That tension is what reduces the coach sway. If you disconnected the SB ends while in that leaning position the coach would lean more.

If you feel troubled just loosen the top link bolts slightly and relieve any tension that might be there. Then re-torque them.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:48 PM   #3940

Thor Owners Club
Thanks. Actually I was thinking about the brackets holding the SB to the axle. Perhaps I should have loosened those bolts to allow the whole bar to rotate slightly and not just the bar ends. Maybe it's no different than your point about the top link bolts, though.
jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:27 PM   #3941

There won't be a problem with pushing the bar up, inside the bushings, with a jack.

Any time the front of the MH bounces, up or down, the anti-sway bar turns in the bushings, clamped to the axle.

The bar has no function in the level up and down motion of the chassis. It only hinders the right to left swaying motion of it.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:29 PM   #3942

Ford Super Duty Owner
When I was teaching I always had several ways of explaining concepts/ideas to my classes. Some see things correctly with one explanation and others needed a different approach.

Think of the SB the short lever arm and the bushings holding it to the front axle.

I'm sure you have used a 1/2" drive ratchet and extension to remove a nut. You grab the ratchet handle at the end and then what do you do?? You have to support everything so it will rotate. Using your free hand you grab the extension where it fits onto the ratchet and grip it with your fingers providing a stable or stationary pivot point for the extension to rotate. That's exactly what the bushing do.

And I'll add that all should lubricate those POLY pivot bushings so the SB WILL move more freely when both links are detached.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:46 PM   #3943
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
When I was teaching I always had several ways of explaining concepts/ideas to my classes. Some see things correctly with one explanation and others needed a different approach.

That is exactly what my wife told her students (she taught in teacher education), there are seven learning intelligences, and a good teacher addresses each one of them.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:50 AM   #3944

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

Think of the SB the short lever arm and the bushings holding it to the front axle.

I'm sure you have used a 1/2" drive ratchet and extension to remove a nut. You grab the ratchet handle at the end and then what do you do?? You have to support everything so it will rotate. Using your free hand you grab the extension where it fits onto the ratchet and grip it with your fingers providing a stable or stationary pivot point for the extension to rotate. That's exactly what the bushing do.

And I'll add that all should lubricate those POLY pivot bushings so the SB WILL move more freely when both links are detached.
I am curious as to what lube to use for the polyurethane bushings. I have read that petro based grease will deteriorate polyurethane...?
I am using Royal Purple synthetic grease for the front end of my Canyon Star, would a synthetic like RP be a good one to use on polyurethane?

Bob
BBorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:19 AM   #3945

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by slsbl77 View Post
I am curious as to what lube to use for the polyurethane bushings. I have read that petro based grease will deteriorate polyurethane...?

I am using Royal Purple synthetic grease for the front end of my Canyon Star, would a synthetic like RP be a good one to use on polyurethane?

Bob

I would use a silicone lube such as Sil-Glyde. It's available from NAPA.
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:55 AM   #3946

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is what I ordered thru Amazon.com

"Energy Suspension Lubricant."

It was a good price compared to others that were sold in a small tube so I had to buy a small grease gun to go with it. I just took the brackets off and the bushing was split on the back so it just came off.

It's specific for polyurethane bushings and therefore won't harm them. It only has to be used maybe once every 5-10 years.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:11 AM   #3947

Quote:
This is what I ordered thru Amazon.com

"Energy Suspension Lubricant."

It was a good price compared to others that were sold in a small tube so I had to buy a small grease gun to go with it. I just took the brackets off and the bushing was split on the back so it just came off.

It's specific for polyurethane bushings and therefore won't harm them. It only has to be used maybe once every 5-10 years.

TeJay that link didn't bring up anything specific.
Here is what I found in small quantities as I won't need it again for a few years :

"Amazon - Energy Suspension Lubricant tube"

Just go it it and CHF is on the list for this weekend (maybe, if it stops raining and not too hot)
Old 09-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #3948

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep that's the same stuff. Use gloves cause it is sticky and lot different from standard types of lubricants.

I got the big tub. I'll share it with some friends when i do their CHF.