Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2017, 04:03 PM   #4159

Fleetwood Owners Club
Template requested and sent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whlsdn View Post
This is a long thread, and members late to the party will find it impossible to uncover all the info already stated, so worn-out questions will be asked. I did it, and I mightily appreciate those who guided me through this most valuable of chassis modifications. As straight-forward as it is for people who readily understand such things, I admit I did stumble, but the job came out perfect in the end...with extra help. And as the title of the thread reveals, it's a no-cost to low-cost mod, depending upon how simple/flexible you want it to be on your RV.

A key piece of my success, I believe, is TeJay's custom designed plates for a flexible installation on the front anti-sway bar. I copied his instructions pretty closely, beginning with a plywood template to take to a weld shop. I had 2 sets of the steel plates made just in case. Once I ground, polished, and painted one set of plates, put them on reversed, posted photos and was coached to reinstall them properly oriented, they have worked exactly as the originators of this idea intended. Big improvement...for my 27' Itasca Sunstar, at least.

I sold my second set of plates for cost to another member who liked TeJay's design. But I can offer someone another short-cut to their own set of plates, if someone is interested. I'll send you my plywood template, complete with hand-printed details and suggestions. Not exactly professional, but it worked for my welder. Just PM me your address and promise me you'll make the same offer once you have your own plates made. Keep the good stuff going!
My plywood "TeJay" template is in the mail to Tim! No longer available here!
Whlsdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2017, 06:40 AM   #4160

Good Lord, 4159 post, this is probably the longest running thread on any site on the net.
Was a close runner though on RV.Net, on the Champion generator.
Neil
Old 01-10-2017, 07:53 AM   #4161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
You could have the same problem as I had with my Hurricane. My son (a Ford mechanic) found that the sway bar link hits the springs under certain driving conditions when the CHF is applied. He took the CHF off again. But now I have the Tejay developed plates installed, together with the CHF , and have no problems anymore.
I also have Sumo Maxim springs in front and a Tiger Track track bar in the rear. I now believe my coach handles as good as it gets. Passing trucks are absolutely no reason any more to put two hands on the steering wheel.

I am now dedicated in finding ways to eliminate the harsh ride that my unit has when driving over bad roads. But that has to wait until summer comes because my motorhome is now having it' well deserved inter rest!
Thanks for the feed back after I return home from this trip I will probably take it back to The truck repair shop and have it undone to bad it drive much better
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:44 AM   #4162
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbenny View Post
Thanks for the feed back after I return home from this trip I will probably take it back to The truck repair shop and have it undone to bad it drive much better
You could contact Tejay and see if he can help you with drawings for those plates I installed. It should not be a big problem for a local fab shop to make them, and for a repair shop to install them.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:18 PM   #4163

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dcbenny,

most often when the CHF is done and some clunking results it is usually due to some incorrect torquing either on the link and SB ends or perhaps those SB brackets have come loose. I'd highly recommend that all those attaching bolts be torqued and blue or red lock tight added so they will not come loose.

In every case of clunking that fixed it. The CHF is to simple and sooo effective it would be a shame to remove it for some clunking that can be corrected.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:53 PM   #4164

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Dcbenny,

most often when the CHF is done and some clunking results it is usually due to some incorrect torquing either on the link and SB ends or perhaps those SB brackets have come loose. I'd highly recommend that all those attaching bolts be torqued and blue or red lock tight added so they will not come loose.

In every case of clunking that fixed it. The CHF is to simple and sooo effective it would be a shame to remove it for some clunking that can be corrected.
TeJay thans for the input i will check with my truck repair shop next week i hope that's what it is as the coach drives too good now to have to undo thanks Don
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:57 PM   #4165

I have done almost the same things to my Hurricane 27k, except I used Helwig links. The harsh ride seems to be best controled with tire pressure. I like to have higher then recomended for long trips in the summer but putting them to the PSI on the sticker inside does make it ride better. Mine calls for 82 PSI. I run 95 in the summer on long trips, it is noticably harder ride with the higher air pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
You could have the same problem as I had with my Hurricane. My son (a Ford mechanic) found that the sway bar link hits the springs under certain driving conditions when the CHF is applied. He took the CHF off again. But now I have the Tejay developed plates installed, together with the CHF , and have no problems anymore.
I also have Sumo Maxim springs in front and a Tiger Track track bar in the rear. I now believe my coach handles as good as it gets. Passing trucks are absolutely no reason any more to put two hands on the steering wheel.

I am now dedicated in finding ways to eliminate the harsh ride that my unit has when driving over bad roads. But that has to wait until summer comes because my motorhome is now having it' well deserved inter rest!
pfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:17 PM   #4166

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfritz View Post
I have done almost the same things to my Hurricane 27k, except I used Helwig links. The harsh ride seems to be best controled with tire pressure. I like to have higher then recomended for long trips in the summer but putting them to the PSI on the sticker inside does make it ride better. Mine calls for 82 PSI. I run 95 in the summer on long trips, it is noticably harder ride with the higher air pressure.
If the sticker says 82 PSI, that is to carry the maximum load of the axle.

Why would you run 95 PSI in summer ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:40 PM   #4167
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If the sticker says 82 PSI, that is to carry the maximum load of the axle.

Why would you run 95 PSI in summer ?
I also wonder. I reduce mine to 75 PSI when not heavy loaded. All motorhome suspension and steering components ere laid out for the max pressure that is displayed on the sticker.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:42 AM   #4168

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have over 20,000 miles on the coach. After about 2 months of chasing tire pressures I finally settled in on what the manufacturers sticker recommended which was 82 lbs. I'd say those tires have close to 18,000 miles with no signs of improper tire pressures.

It's probably advisable for me to get the coach weighed to determine the front and rear axle weights. It is almost impossible to get a 4 corner weigh around here so I'd have to settle on front axle, full weight then rear axle at the local CAT Scale. Then adjust the pressures accordingly.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:35 AM   #4169
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
We have over 20,000 miles on the coach. After about 2 months of chasing tire pressures I finally settled in on what the manufacturers sticker recommended which was 82 lbs. I'd say those tires have close to 18,000 miles with no signs of improper tire pressures.

It's probably advisable for me to get the coach weighed to determine the front and rear axle weights. It is almost impossible to get a 4 corner weigh around here so I'd have to settle on front axle, full weight then rear axle at the local CAT Scale. Then adjust the pressures accordingly.
I will do it the same way, once the snow allows me to get my unit onto the road again, and my front end weight is installed.
My motorhome came with a front trailer hitch from the factory, but the build sheet does not mention this. I wonder whether the did install it in lieu of a front bumper??? Anyway, my several 100 pounds of steel are welted to this hitch and it has now to be reinstalled (I will weight it first to have an exact number).
Old 01-14-2017, 08:47 AM   #4170

Tire Pressure

I also played with pressures starting high 90's as set by alignment mechanics to tire spec, then decreasing till MH sticker 80's. Settled on 86 so as to take account for expansion/contraction and not to allow under inflation. I prefer higher pressure for handling but trimmed back for less harsh hitting. I'd stay away from Below Spec. Pressures to avoid disaster,(Ford Explorer...),as MH's are all about size and weight. IMHO
Old 01-14-2017, 02:35 PM   #4171

Should we get back to CHF topic? ;-))

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:46 PM   #4172

Changing air pressure is pretty cheap and sure can fix some handling problems.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote