Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2017, 07:46 AM   #4201

Outdoors RV Owners Club
1999 18k F53 here, bought in 2009. It had horrible wag-the-dog from sudden side gusts and passing trucks. Around six years ago, I added a Steer Safe on the front and an Ultra Trac bar on the rear (both of which seemed to help, but not completely) and shortly thereafter did the CHF on the front, which clinched the deal. Since then its had about 10k put on it, mostly little 300 milers, but I just finished up a 5k down and back from Oregon to Louisiana and the steering throughout has been phenomenal.

Keith
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2017, 09:29 AM   #4202

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did the front and rear CHF yesterday. To get the job done I had to have the jacks retracted to do the front and the jacks deployed to do the rear. In both cases, I had to forcibly move the bottom of the rods (end links) towards the rear of the MH to get it lined up with the SB inner holes. Is that normal. On the first one I loosened the upper bolt but it didn't help so I just leaned into each rod and with the help of a jack on the SB got the bolt through the rod end and the inner hole? I'm concerned that I did something wrong.

It was a lot tougher job than I see described here, at least for me. In retrospect, if Ford does the job for $125, that's money well spent.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:46 AM   #4203

It's not unusual to have to rotate the antisway bar to line up the holes. You didn't do anything wrong.

John McKinley
Genius Inventor
Cheap Handling Fix
Old 02-08-2017, 09:51 AM   #4204

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
It's not unusual to have to rotate the antisway bar to line up the holes. You didn't do anything wrong.
I know the sway bar just moves inside the bushings, it's the vertical rods (maybe called end links) that connect to the sway bar that I'm worried about.

I just noticed that you started this thread and came up with the CHF.... Thank you.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:25 PM   #4205

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post

John McKinley
Genius Inventor
Cheap Handling Fix
John quick question had CHF done thanks what a difference when I am driving slowly say going over a speed bump or entrance to gas station drive and the front end rocks a little I hear a grunt noise from front end like it needs a lube but just had one done no banging or hitting have you heard of this is it just that front end is a lot stiffer
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:56 PM   #4206

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbenny View Post
John quick question had CHF done thanks what a difference when I am driving slowly say going over a speed bump or entrance to gas station drive and the front end rocks a little I hear a grunt noise from front end like it needs a lube but just had one done no banging or hitting have you heard of this is it just that front end is a lot stiffer
Check your bolts and make sure they are tight, 66 ft/lbs on all bolts on the sway bar. If it clunks, it is lose.
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:19 PM   #4207

Ford Super Duty Owner
An easy for sure fix for that is to just loosen the bolts and add some blue lock tight for extra insurance and re-torque. Do the same for the SB bracket bolts and torque to 66 ft/lbs as well.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:24 PM   #4208

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMudstud View Post
Check your bolts and make sure they are tight, 66 ft/lbs on all bolts on the sway bar. If it clunks, it is lose.
Have you greased the sway bar bushings?
Old 02-09-2017, 12:58 AM   #4209

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi all,

I saw a mention of the CHF somewhere a couple weeks or so ago, and googled this thread. I just now finished reading it, all 301 pages/4208 posts. Maybe someday I can get THE John McKinley to sign my mouse hand :-)

Having covered the over 6 years of this thread's history in around two weeks, I feel like I've come to know the regular posters here, and was shocked and saddened to read of Dunner's passing. He was a great contributor here and gave very selflessly of his time and knowledge. I want to thank him, TeJay, John, Hudsoner, and the others whose names are escaping me right now for all the knowledge about the CHF you've given to me and others.

I have not yet done the CHF, but will do so this spring (it's pretty much already spring here in San Diego lol). I'm the second owner of a 2008 Bounder 35H (36' long) on a 2007 F53 chassis. It has stock suspension for the year: front track bar, Z brackets on the rear SB but not the front, yellow Bilsteins. I took a quick look underneath last week, but didn't have time to inspect the condition of the bushings, but they are black and are probably original. Gusts and semis aren't too bad currently, but of course, I'd be happy to make it better. The only time I've really experienced really white knuckle stuff was last summer going through Wyoming on the way to the Black Hills. There were thunderstorms in the area and it was seriously gusty, enough so that I actually got off the road for a while. That was also the day I lost the anti-billow device on the driver's side slide topper. Didn't even know what those things were called at the time, but got another one when I got back to San Diego.

In addition to the CHF, I plan to get a rear track bar, a steering stabilizer, and either Koni shocks or the newer, gentler Bilsteins. The Konis sound great, but they sure are pricy . I've read a lot of good things about Air Tabs and may put them on, but not until I've done the other stuff. I'll decide after that if I need them or not.

I'm pretty sure I want to do the fix with a set of TeJay's plates; does anybody have a pair for sale? No skills to make anything like that myself, not even out of wood

Thanks again for all of the amazing knowledge that has been shared on this thread. I'm a better RVer for knowing it, and for knowing you all, even if I haven't met you in person.

-Jonathan
Old 02-09-2017, 06:30 AM   #4210

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegiller View Post

I'm pretty sure I want to do the fix with a set of TeJay's plates; does anybody have a pair for sale? No skills to make anything like that myself, not even out of wood
Jonathan,

I need to do the CHF: my rig does the rock and roll going out of driveways.
No I have not read this entire thread yet but I may do the front bar soon.

If you give me a drawing or print I can make it for you. I live close to the Stadium in SD. I will probably have to buy the metal unless I can find something in my scrap pile.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:03 AM   #4211

Ford Super Duty Owner
Paulers,

That's very kind of you to offer to make bluegiller a set of plates. Here are some pages and post numbers within the CHF thread where you can find some information on the plates. Over the years I've changes some things but the general idea is about the same.

Pages: 225,226,233 & 235. Posts #3138, 3161, 3257, 3287

The biggest change that was done was to make the top plate out of 1/2" thick plate steel but increase the size to 5" tall so the owner can level the SB (stabilizer bar) then mark and drill the attaching holes. This will avoid having to extend the top links while allowing the SB to remain level.

At that time if the owner wants to they can make several holes to make the sway bars adjustable. Yes I realize once a person decided exactly where they want or need the sway control to be they probably will never move them again but at least one can make a choice.

My SB's are currently set to a position that is 1" more than where the hole would be drilled if it were on the inner SB location or what is usually referred to as the CHF location.

I set my links there 5 to 6,000 miles ago with absolutely no adverse issues so far.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:23 PM   #4212

Fleetwood Owners Club
Paulers, I also live near the stadium, what a small world! We're in Serra Mesa, I'll be more than amazed if you are, too :-) We're just past the top of the stadium hill and our exceptionally long driveway allows us to keep our Bounder at home. The 5-inch tall plates that TeJay mentions are the ones that I'm looking for. Buy whatever you need, of course, and I'm more than happy to put some profit margin in that for you as well. That's really exceptionally kind of you!

I just thought of what was actually my most sway-filled adventure with this motorhome: getting into the Lone Pine campsites at Lake Cuyamaca, wow! I stopped on the road side, walked the entrance drive (nothing but dirt, rocks, huge potholes and at the bottom is a pothole+speed bump combo, for those not from San Diego) and decided there was no way I could do that with my toad attached, so I disconnected it at roadside, drove it to my campsite, and walked back to the motorhome, which I then very, very slowly drove down the entrance lane LOL. Lesson learned: if there are no sites available at Chambers Park, take another weekend rather than book Lone Pine

Best,

Jonathan
Old 02-09-2017, 12:28 PM   #4213

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbarber View Post
Have you greased the sway bar bushings?
yes everything is greased all tight I only get the grunting noise not bang or clunk when I enter a drive or speed bump on a angle and slow while driving normal speed hitting rough roadway no issue just thought maybe sound was from swaybar very tight now since CHF THANKS
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:41 PM   #4214

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post

Pages: 225,226,233 & 235. Posts #3138, 3161, 3257, 3287
Hey, I can add something

If you right-click the post number in the upper right of the post, you can copy the link address to that specific post.

Page 225, post 3138, for instance follows:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap...ml#post2726856

Page 226, post 3161 is:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap...ml#post2729412

Page 233, post 3257:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap...ml#post2761816

Page 235, post 3287:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap...ml#post2791300
EdInArk is offline   Reply With Quote