Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2017, 05:55 AM   #4425

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegiller View Post
The attached photo is for TeJay, because I couldn't figure out a way to put an attachment in a PM; the editor dialog is missing that feature, as far as I can tell.

Thanks,

Jonathan
They look identical, shouldn't there be a right and left ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2017, 02:47 PM   #4426

Thor Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Somebody is SICK
Old 05-07-2017, 11:27 PM   #4427

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
I'm guilty of contributing to this thread before I traded my motor home, but come on, guys. 7 years and 4400 posts about the simple and effective CHF? It works! Just do it! Check your bushings and bolts! Make extender plates if you want to, but they're optional.
You guys are going to break the internet!
Well, in seven years the F-53 chassis can change somewhat. I would be willing to see this thread kept alive just for any insight provided by owners of newer chassis - and to see if Ford makes any changes that we could adopt for previous year models.....

Plus, this thread has evolved. It has gone into the need to check and/or replace those pesky disappearing sway bar bushings, given ideas on how to prevent the Z-Bar damage to your links when using the CHF, and other general suspension improvement related tips and products.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:19 AM   #4428

And, we now see the evolution of TeJay Plates from just functional suspension parts to Decorative Undercarriage Enhancements (DUE's). I like the stripes!

John McKinley
Genius Inventor,
Cheap Handling Fix
Old 05-08-2017, 11:32 PM   #4429

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Well, in seven years the F-53 chassis can change somewhat. I would be willing to see this thread kept alive just for any insight provided by owners of newer chassis - and to see if Ford makes any changes that we could adopt for previous year models.....

Plus, this thread has evolved. It has gone into the need to check and/or replace those pesky disappearing sway bar bushings, given ideas on how to prevent the Z-Bar damage to your links when using the CHF, and other general suspension improvement related tips and products.
Can you or someone tell me about the z bar damage the chf caused. Ive read almost ever post on this thread and dont remember ever reading anything about any damage caused by the chf. Thanks

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:52 AM   #4430

Thor Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jerry gets sent under the chassis to admire his handle work instead of "The doghouse" when he is in trouble.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:10 AM   #4431

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Can you or someone tell me about the z bar damage the chf caused. Ive read almost ever post on this thread and dont remember ever reading anything about any damage caused by the chf. Thanks

Jerry
Start reading here

And then here too.

The first one, post number 4403 (page 315), and the second link have graphic representations of what can happen if you don't set up the front stock or Hellwig adjustable sway bar links right - but only if you use the Z-Bar. My unit did not have the Z-Brackets on the front, so I just made sure that I copied to original angle of the bar. As a note, it wasn't parallel to the ground. I did one side first by removing the stock sway bar link, then installed the adjustable links at the top holes, and then ran it out until it could be bolted into the inner (back) holes on the sway bar. I made sure to measure that length and then locked it down in place and bolted it up. I then dropped the stock link on the other side and repeated the install. I made sure that the last side was the same length as the first one. Everything lined up pretty easily. I then took the longer front links and used them on the rear.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:13 AM   #4432
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
As far as I know, there is nothing called a Z-Bar on the F53 chassis. I assume you mean the Z-Brackets, each time you write the Z-Bar.
My son discovered that the sway bar links, in the CHF position, can hit other components, too, under certain driving conditions.
Once TeJay's brackets are installed, everything is OK.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:32 AM   #4433

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
Well worth the effort to check the bushings in the back.

This is the passenger side rear Attachment 160837
This is the driver side rear Attachment 160838
I changed mine in 2011 I think on my 1994 Bounder, they were like yours:
Old 05-09-2017, 08:08 AM   #4434

Winnebago Owners Club
The zbrackets was a bulletin to eliminate popping noise from the links. If you want to keep the same links just grind the area that will hit. That is what I did when I installed the Hellwig. I decide to go to the plates and purchase new and improved links that will not need the Z brackets. Either way it works great.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:11 AM   #4435

I'm on this forum as well as three motorcycle forums -- one for each bike -- and I offer the same advice to everyone that's tired of reading about whatever -- oil, tires, yada, yada.

If you feel there's nothing to be gained by continuing to follow a thread, just remove your subscription and stop reading it.

FWIW, I just did my fronts like jmckinley did, and I've crawled under it a couple of times and can't see where anything's touching or rubbing. I'm under it every few months changing oil, and their easy to look at, so I guess that's my plan.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:51 PM   #4436

Ford Super Duty Owner
ED I'm with ya!!! I enjoy sharing and learning. This may not be every bodies cup of tea and that's just fine. Even after 40+ years of working on all kinds of mechanical devices, cars/trucks/air planes/fork lifts/boat motors, motorcycles I'm still learning every day.

It's what keeps me going. It's why I get up every morning. New problems to solve. New plans for new things to do, build and just try. Just waiting for the next rock to roll over to reveal something I haven't seen. Maybe it's something broken or new and it just needs to be made better. Most anything can be improved even just a little.

I'm certain when I check out of this world no matter what is happening to me I'll be thinking how it can be improved in some small way. Or I'll make a joke and get just one more laugh before i go.

Hope all is well for you and yours down in the LR area.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:29 PM   #4437

I for one hope this thread stays alive. I did the CHF on the front after 20 miles in my (new to me) rig, and noticed an instant difference. Never would have found out about it in a dead thread.

Old rigs get new owners sometimes.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:42 PM   #4438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
As far as I know, there is nothing called a Z-Bar on the F53 chassis. I assume you mean the Z-Brackets, each time you write the Z-Bar.
My son discovered that the sway bar links, in the CHF position, can hit other components, too, under certain driving conditions.
Once TeJay's brackets are installed, everything is OK.
You are correct. In fact, if you peruse my post more carefully, you will see that I used the term interchangeably. That is because on other forums they have used differing terminology, and I wanted to be inclusive.

As far as the sway bar end links being able to contact other components when moved to the inboard holes, I agree that is possible. That is why many folks opt to use the Hellwig adjustable end links, and they make sure to reverse the bolts as they pass through the bar hole. If installed in the original manner, the bolt end can contact the leaf spring.

Since we're being nitpicky today, should I also revert to the actual terminology and start calling it an "Anti-Sway Bar", as is the true technical term for the device?