RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2017, 06:08 AM   #4453

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffgunner View Post
I should have added those earlier.

This is the Manufacturer link - note that the length listed on their page - and consequently all the other sellers - is wrong. The links are 14" long.
https://skyjacker.com/shop/sway-bar-link/sbe507/

This is the best price at 4 Wheel Parts - it seems the price has gone up to $72: Skyjacker - Skyjacker Sway Bar Extended End Links - SBE507 | 4WheelParts.com

You may have to search for the P/N - SBE507

Is the diameter of the bar on this link: smaller, larger, or the same as stock Ford link?

Good find, and I'm tempted to order them, but want to know how it compares to stock link in regards to bar thickness.

tripntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2017, 06:47 AM   #4454

Ford Super Duty Owner
tripntx,

Go back to post 4403 on this thread. JohnDale got links from e-bay for $55 a pair. He said they worked.

A friend of mine order just one from Ford and it was $195. When I saw JohnDales post i referred my friend to the post and he also ordered a pair (e-bay) and again they work just fine.

Should be worth a look I'd think!!!!!

Old 05-16-2017, 08:19 AM   #4455

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripntx View Post
Is the diameter of the bar on this link: smaller, larger, or the same as stock Ford link?

Good find, and I'm tempted to order them, but want to know how it compares to stock link in regards to bar thickness.
Both bars are about 5/8. The user that installed these links first has never had an issue with them. They are also plated and look great.
buffgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:02 PM   #4456

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffgunner View Post
Both bars are about 5/8. The user that installed these links first has never had an issue with them. They are also plated and look great.
Thank you
tripntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:17 PM   #4457

So I did the front sway bar this weekend. Cut and extended the links 2 1/2" and everything lined up great. Ready to do the rear SB and just to be clear do the rear links need to be modified? I attempted to read through this thread but frankly it has gotten so big it's difficult to find definitive information.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:38 PM   #4458

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am now a member of the CHF Club (front and rear). I do suppose I'll have to wait for the membership card, secret decoder ring, and secret handshake until after I've taken it out and driven it :-)

I just finished about 9:00 PM PDT.

Special thanks to TeJay, for making me the awesome set of CHF plates you see in the pics (below).

After I got the front sway bar bushings off, I was surprised at how good they looked, considering the vehicle has 95,000 miles on it. In fact, I thought they looked a lot like black polyurethane. After lunch, I grepped the service record and found a Sway Bar R&R line at 37,000 miles. So, assuming they are in fact polyurethane, we know they stand up really well. I'll send pics of those to Skuterdude for his opinion, but pretty sure they're urethane. Since I have his bushings, I installed them in the front. The rear will wait for another day, since those also appear to be the same black urethane bushings as the front and in pretty good shape. Plus, they look like they may be even harder to get off than the fronts, which I'm pretty sure were put on with an impact wrench. I had to soak the bolts and nuts down good with Liquid Wrench and wait about five minutes, then put a cheater on the breaker bar and push as hard as I could to break them loose. It had me seriously thinking of making a run to Harbor Freight to get an electric impact wrench. I may yet, before I replace the rear bushings.

Why replace them, if they look like they are pretty good? So they're all matching blue :-)

As you can see, my chassis (2007 F53) has the Z brackets in the rear. I reversed them and kept them on.

With no further ado, then, my pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4042.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	162640   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4043.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	162641  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4049.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	162642   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4051.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	162643  

Old 05-22-2017, 06:49 AM   #4459

Ford Super Duty Owner
PbdBlue, it is not necessary to do anything to the rear except the CHF.

Post #4458 above shows the rear CHF links. The angle may look off but it's possible the RV is up on the jacks. I've seen lots of pics of the rear CHF and the angle is closer to level than shown.

bluegiller!! You sound like a happy camper to me. It's a good feeling when a job is completed! I didn't read anything about adding poly lube to those bushings. Skuterdude does provide some with each set of bushings.

Ford started using poly (blk) on the 2012 chassis. It's possible yours were changed with poly. Usually the stock bushings lasted 6+ years then just fall apart. I've not seen stock ones lately to compare with the newer black poly. Maybe the "Dude" can add some information.

OFF-TOPIC!!
Got the electric impact from HF 2-weeks ago. Used it to R&R the wheel lugs. I have an air impact but wanted to see if the HF impact would do the lugs. It handled them just fine. Good price with a 20% coupon!! I think it was under $40

Yesterday the Trick-L-Start ($42) arrived. Installed in less than an hour. Why add?? When plugged in the coach batteries are charged but not the chassis battery. With the TLS hooked in it is always maintained by the converter.

There is a boost switch to crank your coach if the chassis battery is weak. However that does not help to keep or extend the chassis batteries life.

ON-TOPIC!!
Good job guys! John McKinley is pleased with more happy CHF campers.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:06 AM   #4460

I'd also like to thank TeJay a I too just finished installing the CHF plates he provides. Minimal swearing while trying to get the 66ft/lb torque done but all went well.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:05 PM   #4461

Fleetwood Owners Club
The weird angle is just from the goofy way I was lying underneath the motorhome, holding my phone The MH was sitting on the ground, but there was a homemade leveling ramp under the left rear tire to make it side-to-side level in the back.

Yes, I did add polylube to the front bushings, made no bottle jack needed on the front SB. Will do the same to the rear ones when I do those. Dang, my hands are sore today, really gotta think about an electric impact wrench :P Additionally, I got a whole tube of the stuff for about 5 bucks as an Amazon add-on item.

Good to hear about the HF impact wrench. It's claimed torque is 330, and the torque spec is 400 on my lug nuts, is yours the same? If yes, either the HF wrench goes higher than it claims, or maybe they were loose. I won't be doing my own tires, though; if I got one of those beasts off, I'd never get it back on without help LOL.

May also get an HF clicker torque wrench. Did the CHF with a beam-type that's been in the family for many decades, and it's hard to focus on stuff really close to my eyes, which made it kind of a nuisance. If anybody is using an HF torque wrench, what do you think of it?

On related topics, have any of you done your shocks in your driveway? It looks like a PITA to get to the top end of the shock with the vehicle on the ground, although maybe it would be OK with an impact wrench. Will reach up there and see what I think.

I need to have the pinion seal replaced, so thinking of having them install my shocks (Koni) and rear trac bar while it's there.

May also put on a steering stabilizer? What's the consensus here (if there is one) about the best one to get?

Thanks!

Jonathan
Old 05-22-2017, 11:26 PM   #4462

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegiller View Post
May also get an HF clicker torque wrench. Did the CHF with a beam-type that's been in the family for many decades, and it's hard to focus on stuff really close to my eyes, which made it kind of a nuisance. If anybody is using an HF torque wrench, what do you think of it?

On related topics, have any of you done your shocks in your driveway? It looks like a PITA to get to the top end of the shock with the vehicle on the ground, although maybe it would be OK with an impact wrench. Will reach up there and see what I think.

I need to have the pinion seal replaced, so thinking of having them install my shocks (Koni) and rear trac bar while it's there.

May also put on a steering stabilizer? What's the consensus here (if there is one) about the best one to get?

Thanks!

Jonathan
I have that HF torque wrench and it is good enough for me. I actually have two of them for different torque ranges.

My son did my shocks in the driveway. We have a 20 ton jack, and he lifted the rig up a little. But he has also a professorial impact wrench, and we have a semi commercial compressor (one of those big stand-up deals).
It looked like it was a piece of cake for him (but he is a master mechanic), doing this. But for a strong 30 year old, everything seems to be a piece of cake. He also installed the Blue Ox Tiger track bar in our driveway, another piece of cake for him!

I am thinking about asking him to install a steering stabilizer to eliminate any possible flutter from the system. Not one of the fancy centering systems, just a run of the mill stabilizer.
Maya the Rottweiler/Great Dane Mix still as healthy as ever
Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #4463

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks, Hudsoner. Did he torque the shocks, or just set the impact wrench on stun and call it a day? :-)

I believe in torqueing everything I can, but doing that to my shocks would involve buying or renting a better torque wrench than what I have (100-pound beam type) and probably a torque multiplier, because IIRC the spec on the shock bolts is 259 for the '99 chassis, so mine is probably the same but need to verify that.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:56 AM   #4464

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most of us know the real purpose for torquing any nut and bolt. I'll mention it again for some who may read this and don't know.

If a bolt is going to stay tight it has to be stretched like a rubber band. That's Just enough but not to much stretch. It has to be stretched a specific amount based on the tinsel strength of the steel from which it is made. When torqued correctly it has the proper stretch and clamping forces to hold together. The parts should not come apart.

My career was working on normal sized cars/trucks. Large trucks, tanks, diesel engines are not what I did. I've read some responses from those technicians regarding these type of torquing questions: "Just hit it with the big guns and call it good." "We never use the TW in our shops." When a lot of those guys say what they say I begin to doubt what I have always thought regarding torquing.

I do realize that it's best to do the torquing. Is it reasonable to expect everyone who has a rig with 22.5" tires to have the tools to tighten their lugs to 450 LBs of torque???

My thought is this. If we can't torque as specified then get it as tight as possible and use some blue lock tight. The LT should prevent them from coming lose if it's not tightened (stretched) correctly or am I overthinking this.

I don't have the torque wrench. I got my shock bolts as tight as I could and used the blue LT. That was about 15,000 miles ago and nothing is loose.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:12 PM   #4465

Fleetwood Owners Club
P.S. When using the impact wrench, was it necessary to get a wrench on the side to hold it from turning the bolt?
Old 05-23-2017, 02:11 PM   #4466

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegiller View Post
P.S. When using the impact wrench, was it necessary to get a wrench on the side to hold it from turning the bolt?
For me it was.