Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2017, 07:24 PM   #4481

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our 2014 Vista 30T (31') is close to what you have at 30'. I have a DIY rear TB and a DIY front steering shock dampener which has a Bilstein shock. The coach is for the most part a one hand driver if I wanted to. Even when it is windy it's very manageable. Not saying that the winds don't cause issues but it is not scary or tiring to drive.

The early spring and summer tend to have more winds along with the storms so we may have some of those days as we begin some trips. My DIY TB was $45 and the DIY steering dampener was about $125 because of the shock purchase. We also have Sumo's on the front. They are the ones that attach at the top only so they really come into play when the suspension is compressed. Not real sure exactly what they did for the ride and handling but they are on there and I don't think I'll take them off.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2017, 04:28 AM   #4482
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
a DIY front steering shock dampener which has a Bilstein shock.
Hi TeJay
I seem not to be able to find the post anymore, in which you describe the information about this damper. I am really interested in doing this, too.
I feel that a damper would provide me with the last bit of stability I would install in my unit.
After that I will be done with any mods for the steering stability and safe control of my motorhome.
I hope that I can convince my son to install this one for me prior to the summer driving season.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:14 AM   #4483

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just made the "fix" to both front and rear sway bars and the improvement is dramatic! Drove over some really curvy mountain roads and really noted the difference. Also noted a difference when we are stationary. Since we are full timers we are loaded so I will be watching the bars closely.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:14 AM   #4484

Has anyone noticed any contact with the rear SB making contact with the diff. I have read through a lot of this thread but its a long one so I don't know if this has been address yet or not. I see where people are adding longer extended links and plates to the front axle but nothing for the rear. I just did a 600mi trip after doing the CHF on the front and rear axles. I hit some pretty big frost heaves on the road. When I got home from the trip it looks like the rear sway bar might have made slight contact with the diff. I'm on a 03' 22k F53 chassis
Old 06-01-2017, 01:58 PM   #4485

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2ND View Post
Has anyone noticed any contact with the rear SB making contact with the diff. I have read through a lot of this thread but its a long one so I don't know if this has been address yet or not. I see where people are adding longer extended links and plates to the front axle but nothing for the rear. I just did a 600mi trip after doing the CHF on the front and rear axles. I hit some pretty big frost heaves on the road. When I got home from the trip it looks like the rear sway bar might have made slight contact with the diff. I'm on a 03' 22k F53 chassis
Yes, contact has been reported several times already. It seems like it was limited to a specific sway bar design.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:08 PM   #4486

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
My rear SB will contact the diff, I have the type that goes under the diff.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:02 PM   #4487

Trying to find the info for the DIY TB, can't seem to find it. Help please!
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:14 PM   #4488

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dave,

Try this link it will get you there!!!

TRACK BAR REAR (DIY) for F-53 Chassis
Old 06-01-2017, 03:21 PM   #4489

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Dave,

Try this link it will get you there!!!

TRACK BAR REAR (DIY) for F-53 Chassis
Thank you, got it now!!!
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:27 AM   #4490

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2ND View Post
I have a 2015 VIN 178" Wheelbase F53 Chassis based motorhome. For this specific chassis, I have applied CHF both front and rear using the stock sway bars, bushings, hardware, and links. NO CONTACT marks visible around the sway bars over 1000s of miles of normal driving. This chassis has the rear sway bar that goes over the differential. Having no problems with the changed sway bar geometry, for this specific chassis. CHF made a huge improvement in handling in this configuration.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:33 AM   #4491

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
I have a 2015 VIN 178" Wheelbase F53 Chassis based motorhome. For this specific chassis, I have applied CHF both front and rear using the stock sway bar hardware and links. NO CONTACT marks visible around the sway bars over 1000s of miles of normal driving. Having no problems with the changed sway bar geometry, for this specific chassis. CHF made a huge improvement in handling in this configuration.
Specific chassis and year is a great piece of info to include here. Differences in these specs can make a world of difference.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:48 AM   #4492

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've followed this thread over the last several years and do recall some having an interference issue with the rear differential. Yes is has been mentioned but I don't recall any poster reporting that they had to remove the CHF to stop the repeated hitting of the differential. Maybe recent chassis builds have changed some I don't know. However I do know it should be able to be fixed.

If possible could those having this problem post some pics. That would be a great help. I'm visualizing the situation and think this would work.

Maybe a metal spacer 3/4" to 1" placed under each side of the bushings holding the SB to the the rear differential. Yes you'd have to purchase longer bolts (3/4" or 1") based on the spacer. The thickness of the spacer is dependent on how close the SB is to the DF and how much the SB is moved by placing a spacer under it. It may only take a 1/2" spacer. Since the interference is a seldom occurrence maybe this would eliminate it completely.

Remove one bracket and take it to a machine shop and ask them to built a spacer (you determine how thick) and the same foot print as the brackets bottom. I doubt that would cost you more than $20. Steel flat stock comes in 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" 1" thicknesses & thicker. Maybe just getting some flat stock close to the width of the bracket base and drilling some holes matching the bracket holes would work easier and be cheaper.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:13 AM   #4493

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi. I'm new on this forum. I have a 1999 Monaco La Palma 36 foot with the F-53 chassis. On the CHF for the front I have the"Z" brackets that go from the outer hole to the inner holes. Do I just reverse these when I move the bar to the inner holes? Thanks
Avfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:00 PM   #4494

Ford Super Duty Owner
Av,

Yes!!!