Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2017, 02:31 PM   #4495

First, I just want to say a big THANK YOU to those of you who've developed this, refined it, and helped ton of folks make this significant improvement!

We bought our Baystar a couple of months ago and essentially our maiden voyage was driving it back from Southern Cali to Wisconsin. Tons of high winds and semi trucks. It was a handful compared to the 05 Class C we traded in, (that unit did have an aftermarket steering stabilizer).

I had been following this thread off and on for a long time and decided to go for the CHF myself. Other than having to make a couple extra trips for tools I should have had to begin with, and buying a bottle jack, the actual CHF was pretty easy. It probably helped to have a new unit that the bolts haven't had time to corrode etc. I have only had a chance to do about a ten mile road test, but my initial impressions are that it makes a significant improvement. Heck, even before driving it I noticed that the rig didn't sway as much when I stepped on the bottom step to get in. Next week we're going to be doing about 300-400 miles total camping at a few spots here in Wisconsin. I am really looking forward to it. Bring on the trucks and winds! In the garage I have a Safe-T-Plus that was just delivered and ready to put on. I may or may not have time to get it on before our trip. I'm thinking if I don't get time to install, at least I'll have a better feel for the CHF without any other "variables." Either way, I will report back after the trip and again, THANK YOU!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2017, 01:10 PM   #4496

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2ND View Post
Has anyone noticed any contact with the rear SB making contact with the diff. I have read through a lot of this thread but its a long one so I don't know if this has been address yet or not. I see where people are adding longer extended links and plates to the front axle but nothing for the rear. I just did a 600mi trip after doing the CHF on the front and rear axles. I hit some pretty big frost heaves on the road. When I got home from the trip it looks like the rear sway bar might have made slight contact with the diff. I'm on a 03' 22k F53 chassis
I have the 03' 20k F53 chassis and had to put the plates on the rear. I have the plates for the front but haven't put them on yet. To busy goofing off
Fred Edelkamp, USAF Combat Camera Retired driving "Bullwinkle" 2008 Monaco Diplomat 36PDQ | 400hp Cummins I6 Diesel Pusher | 1440W Solar | 800Ah LiFePO4 | RVi TPMS | Roadmaster Tow Bar | RVibrake3 | 2020 Ford F-150 | Palomino Backpack Truck Camper SS-1251
frede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:50 AM   #4497

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD1 View Post
First, I just want to say a big THANK YOU to those of you who've developed this, refined it, and helped ton of folks make this significant improvement!

We bought our Baystar a couple of months ago and essentially our maiden voyage was driving it back from Southern Cali to Wisconsin. Tons of high winds and semi trucks. It was a handful compared to the 05 Class C we traded in, (that unit did have an aftermarket steering stabilizer).

I had been following this thread off and on for a long time and decided to go for the CHF myself. Other than having to make a couple extra trips for tools I should have had to begin with, and buying a bottle jack, the actual CHF was pretty easy. It probably helped to have a new unit that the bolts haven't had time to corrode etc. I have only had a chance to do about a ten mile road test, but my initial impressions are that it makes a significant improvement. Heck, even before driving it I noticed that the rig didn't sway as much when I stepped on the bottom step to get in. Next week we're going to be doing about 300-400 miles total camping at a few spots here in Wisconsin. I am really looking forward to it. Bring on the trucks and winds! In the garage I have a Safe-T-Plus that was just delivered and ready to put on. I may or may not have time to get it on before our trip. I'm thinking if I don't get time to install, at least I'll have a better feel for the CHF without any other "variables." Either way, I will report back after the trip and again, THANK YOU!
I also have 2015 3401 and tow a 2012 Wrangler. I did my steering stabilizer first (Roadmaster).

Before any mods, winds and trucks here in Oklahoma were a handful. The Roadmaster did make an improvement with winds and trucks - probably a 10-15% improvement and it was really great on smooth windless freeways.

Adding the CHF is fantastic! As you noticed, Getting on the step immediately showed the difference. After that, pulling out of the driveway was almost a revelation without the huge sway. Driving around town suddenly became almost fun without the constant swaying around corners. There is a lot to be said for turning left and having the top lean way right in response!

Out on the road - without crosswinds - the handling is transformed. It is equivalent to the Jeep with and without the front sway bar disconnected.

With crosswinds and trucks - also much better. To be realistic, the MH is a huge barn door and is still moved as much as before. The big difference is that you only have to correct for the wind - not fighting the resulting sway as before. Now, the steering is much more responsive, so there isn't the effect of wind - steer - lean - correct.

I'd estimate the total improvement at 60-70 percent. I'm happy now.
buffgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:12 AM   #4498

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Good explanation twinboat. Still many, many out there who have not checked their SB bolts. Just about every other day I'm reading about someone who experiences more loose or missing SB bolts.

IF YOU DRIVE AN F-53 FORD CHASSIS CHECK ALL THE SB BOLTS FOR CORRECT TORQUE. THAT'S THE FOUR BOLTS HOLDING THE SB TO THE REAR DIFFERENTIAL. IT IS ALSO BEST TO REMOVE FIRST AND APPLY BLUE LOCK TIGHT FOR ADDED INSURANCE. IF THEY COME LOOSE YOU WILL LOOSE SWAY CONTROL AND POSSIBLY CAUSE SOME DAMAGE TO THE BRACKETS AND ATTACHING BOLTS.

WHILE WE ARE NOT HEARING ABOUT THE FRONT ONES COMING LOOSE IT WOULD STILL BE A GOOD IDEA TO CHECK THEM AS WELL.

If you are not mechanically inclined on this just contact (PM) one of the frequent posters on this thread and get some further instructions.

I just hate to see this happen to folks when it could be prevented.

I think I will start a new thread with this caution. Maybe some are not reading the CHF thread and might read a new thread.

TeJay

This should be a recall from Ford! I was performing the CHF on the rear of my NEW MH and all four bolts were finger tight. And my dealer just performed the rear additional sway bar recall, nobody thought to check the Ford sway bar clips. If you have an F53, you better check the bolts. Thanks to Tejay for the heads up.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #4499

Ford Super Duty Owner
The original thread alerting folks to this issue may be buried by now. We need to keep it alive. We are still hearing about even newer coaches having the same issues. This should not be happening.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:44 PM   #4500

I installed the skyjacker links on Friday and just for the heck of it I rolled on back to the rear to check the sway bar brackets. Well on the left hand side the bottom bolt and nut were gone from the sway bar bracket and the bracket was bent. I bent the bracket back and used metric grade 10.9 bolts, 10.9 nuts and lock washers, all with loc tight red.
I ordered a new bracket from a Ford dealer and will replace the bracket I rebent with the new one when it arrives.
I will also lube the sway bar bushing at that time.
Thanks to all for the heads up to check the brackets.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:05 AM   #4501

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I took the plunge yesterday and installed the Hellwig adjustable links as mentioned in an earlier post. The CHF had been done by the PO. I didn't like the poor angle to the s/b. The adjustable links go from 10" to 14". The stock links were 10.75" center to center of the holes, I went with 13.5", not perfectly level but a lot better. The bolts that came with the links are smaller dia. than the stock bolts so I used the stock bolts and steel bushings along with some blue Loc-Tight. It was a pain getting at the backside of the upper bolts to hold the roll. And there was no way to get the torque wrench on a couple of them ( also had to go buy an '18mm' socket and box wrench ).
Upper left s/b bolt was also loose. Removed all of them, tracked down some 'Super Lube Synthetic Grease' at Menards ( thanks Home Depot guy for finding it locally ).
Now have to wait for next weekend to test it out.

Thank you to all and irv2 for the great posts and info on these very complex machines.
Always more to learn.
Dan
Dan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:46 PM   #4502

Can anyone post a photo of their adapted front z-plates or is there one here somewhere already? I just did the CHF on the front and left the plates off to avoid bending the links but am not comfortable with the amount of torque that bolt will have to put up with. By the way, I noted that the sway bar was difficult to move and squeeked when I forced it. Should I consider lubing the green poly?
ClassyClassA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:11 PM   #4503

Just did the CHF after a trip to DC without the CHF, HUGE, HUGE difference today driving 150 miles on the interstate with decent winds. I couldn't feel the rocking and swaying I did two weeks ago.
Magilla122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:24 AM   #4504

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassyClassA View Post
Can anyone post a photo of their adapted front z-plates or is there one here somewhere already? I just did the CHF on the front and left the plates off to avoid bending the links but am not comfortable with the amount of torque that bolt will have to put up with. By the way, I noted that the sway bar was difficult to move and squeeked when I forced it. Should I consider lubing the green poly?
Lube the poly to get rid of the noise.

The front bar Z plates are not on the newer chassis . My 2015 doesn't have them and I installed longer links with the CHF and it works fine. I don't think you need them as long as the bolts are torqued correctly.
buffgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:32 PM   #4505

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On my Winnebago 2010 the front links had them on the top connection to the frame. A lot thinner material than the s/b. Makes for a more solid anchor.
Dan
Dan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:27 AM   #4506

Ford Super Duty Owner
Does any of these mods apply to a E-350,450 chassis ?
DennyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:43 AM   #4507

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyR View Post
Does any of these mods apply to a E-350,450 chassis ?
No, no extra holes in the rear sway bar and no holes at all in the front.

The ends of the front bar stick into bushing, pressed into each axle. The sway bar is run under the radatior support.

I replaced my rear bar with a Hellwig ? from Amazon. Made a BIG difference.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:41 PM   #4508

Ford Super Duty Owner
Anybody ever had a bolt on the front break after doing the fix after 5,000 miles? I have a 2013 chasis and the bolt on the front passenger side is gone. Does anyone know the part number for a replacement bolt ?
bigdaddy5120 is offline   Reply With Quote