RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2018, 11:36 AM   #4943

Ford Super Duty Owner
phil-t,

Thanks for the comments. Just spreading/sharing the knowledge so others can travel safe and smooth.

It seems like you've done what you needed to do to get her traveling fine. Can't do much more to smooth things out. If you take most of the air out of those rear air bags does the ride get better or worse?

We had a 1999 34' Dutch Star and we added front and rear air bags. At the time i wasn't smart enough to know if the ride was better or worse and there was no CHF either. Man what I'd give to see the difference with that rig today.

I'm still thinking of adding front and rear air bags in hopes of getting some softening of the ride but I've been told over and over it won't/ or can/t help!!! A few on the forums say different so what' your take on the ones you have in the rear??

The lock tight was just for information. Nobody has reported seeing it on any Ford chassis so that was the only reason for asking. Hey at least it was there so nobody had any issues with those brackets.

I just noticed you said "Air Springs." Are they Firestone Air bags or some type of air spring???

OFF TOPIC !!

My AF time was from 1965 to 1968. My training was in ground RADAR repair so there was not much need for me over in Nam. My brother is a retired MSGT spent a tour in Thailand and I have a good friend who did also. Our Son has 22 years with 3 enlisted and the rest as an officer.

He's Lt. Col and hoping to make FB next summer. If he makes it he'll have to serve another 3 years. If he doesn't he'll get out. Not sure this promotion would be that good for him and his family. That would probably mean another tour.

He was in DC for 10 years and most of his commutes were 60-80 miles one way & 3-4 hours (often longer (game day, accidents) plus the 10 to 12 hours at the NSA, Pentagon, DOI. We all know about the DC traffic. That takes a toll on the family.

Travel safe!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2018, 12:25 PM   #4944

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi. I saw in your off topic you repaired ground radars. From 83-86 I was in 517th MI Detachment and operated ground surveillance radar. Small world.
Now on topic, I have a 1999 Monaco La Palma. Tried to do the CHF. and the sb will hit the leaf springs. The front end was mostly weight free when I took it apart then had weight on it going back in. Any hints? Thanks in advance

Avfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:07 PM   #4945

Ford Super Duty Owner
When you say it hits what exactly hits? Some times the bolt ends will hit the leaf spring because it's in the way of the SB. If that's the case all you have to do is raise or lower the leveling jacks which moves the leaf springs position until you can see clear to get the bolts into the SB past the leafs.

The SB ends and links are all on the inside of the leaf springs. The bolt heads come onto the SB from the outside so all bolt ends end up being on the inside of the leaf springs. The only interference we see is if the bolts won't go into the Sb because the leaf spring is in the way. That's where raising or lowering the RV give you the needed clearance. hit the side of the leaf spring when you try to insert them

Make sure the bolt go in to the SB from the outside with the end of the bolt on the inside.

If the information does not answer your question post a picture showing the interference.

Yea that AF life was a long time ago. Learned a lot and it was the best 4 years of my life.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:26 PM   #4946

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
TeJay - no I have not "tested" what effect the pressure (low or high) has on ride and/or (sway control). I will do that when get the MH out of the garage for the season and report. The documentation I have has them as "AirLift" Springs, recommended to start with 50-100psi (I have 50 in them now) Still got to change the engine oil and filter, and look at belt(s) and hoses, and do a chassis lube. The guys that did the alignment told me to be sure to get the weight off the front end and get grease into the kingpins. They had to free them up (were sticky) and causing a little wander. Like you could not prevent oversteer. Been a real learning experience for me, getting into all the different systems on this vehicle.

USAF - I was initially trained at Lackland AFB, Denver in Munitions Maintenance, sent to Nellis AFB in LasVegas, then retrained in aircraft armament (loading munitions on F111, F4s, then Nuke storage, then EOD in Thailand. Fun times.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:26 AM   #4947

Afvan1

Hi Afvan1
I also have 99 LaPalma 34 one slide and maybe we can compare notes on our rigs and what we did or what we changed.
I own mine 3 years now.
Nick
seadaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:25 AM   #4948

Folks, please forgive any redundancy. Have a 31 foot Bay Star, 2017 model. 4000 miles on it. To be candid the stock ride was miserable. As I cross the country I have come across numerous types of roads. Wash boarding and seams in the roads did nothing but cause endless hard banging, especially in the front end. I crossed some railroad tracks, at what I thought was an acceptable speed, and a loud bang caused a panel under the steering column to drop onto my feet.....yikes!! Thank goodness for Gorilla tape. Since, I have invested in a pair of Koni FSD shocks for the front end. Now the bangs are a thud, Plan on doing rears soon and the CHP front and rear as well. Ford should be ashamed of themselves for putting out such a primitive and harsh suspension system!! Thanks.
Skywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:43 PM   #4949

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadaddler View Post
Hi Afvan1
I also have 99 LaPalma 34 one slide and maybe we can compare notes on our rigs and what we did or what we changed.
I own mine 3 years now.
Nick
Sure. That might learn me some stuff. Lol
Old 03-12-2018, 05:46 PM   #4950

Ford Super Duty Owner
My SB runs out under the leaf springs a bit on both ends and does a u-turn back. I will try to take a pic later and post it.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:57 AM   #4951

Afvan1

I sent you a private message here.
Nick
seadaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:26 AM   #4952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
. Since, I have invested in a pair of Koni FSD shocks for the front end. Now the bangs are a thud, Plan on doing rears soon and the CHP front and rear as well. Ford should be ashamed of themselves for putting out such a primitive and harsh suspension system!! Thanks.
Be sure to have proper air pressure in the tires suited to the weight of the coach. Over inflation creates a very jarring harsh ride and poor handling.
FSD konis up front good move, add the Henderson FSD quad kit to the rear.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:52 PM   #4953

After a month on the road to AZ and back, 3800 miles, all is well with the MH. She runs beautifully. Engine purrs like a kitten until of course when you are in Cruise Control and she wants to drop down two gears and roar up the hill. I usually stop that unless it's a short hill. I personally don't like to have it run that high RPM for very long, 4000/4500. I'm still getting used to the trans, but I think I like the way it works. I'd like to see a manual on the trans and how it works. Any one know of such a place??
Now for the ride, which this topic is all about, CHF. It settled the sway down considerably, thankyou OP and TeJay. I got pushed a little by the big rigs but not as much as I thought they would. What is surprising sometimes is those vans, like in car vans for the family. They will nudge you at times. Box vans for sure most of the time, but you see them coming so one is ready. One thing I did notice coming back towards Bakersfield, the wind was up and mostly a head wind. That combination of head wind and trucks will sometimes get your attention. AND, I say AND, the invisible, all of a sudden side wind. OH YEAH, have both hands on the wheel my friends. I always do any way unless I'm reaching for a drink of water or coffee. I took my steering stabilizer with me but didn't have a chance to put it on. Also, the rear trac bar is definitely on my list. Speaking of, I met Robert Henderson from Henderson's Line Up. He was at the same RV park as us and headed home. Nice guy.
That's it. I'd rather be in AZ but we will regroup and go again soon.
Oh, if you are on one of those roads close to the border,,, you will see Border Patrol every where. We went through 3 check points in one area. No problem though.
Any pointers on the trans manual info would be appreciated. Mine is a 5 speed, don't know the number. Guess I better find out.
OK. Have a great day. I think I'm glad to be back home, LOL.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:09 PM   #4954

They say that the 5 star tune will get rid of the 5 to 3 down shift but not on cruise control.

You can give them a call and see if they figured out the cure, as it was a few years since it was brought up.

My class C is good with big rigs, but a U Haul type box truck gives me a good push too.

The V 10 will run all day at 4000 RPMs.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:44 PM   #4955

Ford Super Duty Owner
higgins95, Your thread question is below and my response is below that.

"I have a 2012 Itasca Sunstar 35F , I have done the cheap CHF and I keep breaking 1 bolt on passenger side sway bar , it all fits nice but it keep breaking. Will a Helwig bracket do the trick ???? if so how long ."

You mentioned maybe buying a Helwig bracket. The only Helwig item mentioned on this thread is a Helwig adjustable Link.

Which bolt is breaking? If you are breaking the link to SB (Stabilizer Bar) you'd be the first owner who has. I'm sure I've read the complete CHF thread at least twice and do not recall anybody breaking a link bolt to SB.

There are several things that cold be involved. First lets clarify exactly which bolt is breaking, top, bottom, front or rear? If you could post a picture of the set up and broken bolt that would help.

Thanks,
TeJay
Old 03-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #4956

I have discovered that the rear sway bar on my Newmar 3124 coach has two holes but there is a bracket that is bolted to the bar filling both holes.

Skywagon is offline   Reply With Quote