RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2018, 02:09 PM   #5153

Moving the rear link back that small amount will probably not change the handling at all.

They are almost in line with the original holes. The idea is to move the link back, shorteni,g the lever, causing more torque on the bar.

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2018, 05:19 PM   #5154

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Z-brackets will only help if there's two bolts in them. They were originally used on the SB so you couild move them to the SB.

Since Ford has not used them in any consistent manner top bottom front and rear install them on the SB where the spacing is 3" and they will fit.

If you want to use them on the top plates mark and drill the extra hole so they will provide some extra holding forces.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:53 PM   #5155

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Okay, I just happened to read about this issue with the front CHF and front wheels coming off the ground when deploying the levelers. Does this apply to all F53 chassis, all years? I just did the CHF for the front on my 2016 Coachmen Pursuit. Wont be able to test the leveling for a couple of weeks to see if this will occur. If it does, then the remedy is to return the SB to original?
cberlanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:01 PM   #5156

Quote:
Originally Posted by cberlanga View Post
Okay, I just happened to read about this issue with the front CHF and front wheels coming off the ground when deploying the levelers. Does this apply to all F53 chassis, all years? I just did the CHF for the front on my 2016 Coachmen Pursuit. Wont be able to test the leveling for a couple of weeks to see if this will occur. If it does, then the remedy is to return the SB to original?
Lenghtening the links 3 inches will cure that.

Eventually, while lifting the front to level it, the front tires are going to come off the ground anyway, depending how much lift is needed.

After 3 or 4 inches of lift, they are just dead weight anyway. No big deal.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:08 AM   #5157

CHF

Will be moving the link bolts to the rear bolt hole on the plates and the Z brackets will fit better, itís been very
hot here in Florida and do my outside work early in the morning.
Sure hope itís not as hot upon NY when we go in July and August.
Nick
seadaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:44 AM   #5158

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadaddler View Post
Will be moving the link bolts to the rear bolt hole on the plates and the Z brackets will fit better, itís been very
hot here in Florida and do my outside work early in the morning.
Sure hope itís not as hot upon NY when we go in July and August.
Nick
Bought a summer house in Central NY. Nothing like FL heat. It actually cools down at night.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:31 AM   #5159

Ford Super Duty Owner
cberlanga,

Interesting username. To answer your question, yes. When you move the front link to the inner hole on the SB you have to raise the SB up about three inches so the link will line up with the inner hole. That's why the front wheels come off the ground as they do and it happens on every F-53 chassis (with the two holes) since they came out in about 1999.

Is it absolutely necessary to fix that issue? Yes and no. The wheels will come off the ground based on how high the front needs lifted to become level. It just comes off the ground 3" sooner. It is inconvenient and somewhat unsafe to have both wheels off the ground.

The geometry of the link angles is also somewhat severe and many made the change to correct it and bring the geometry closer to stock. All of this happened over a period of 12 to 18 months and is documented in this thread.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #5160

https://imgur.com/a/yWMeU
Old 06-06-2018, 09:19 PM   #5161

Quote:
Originally Posted by cberlanga View Post
Do the fix and don't worry about it.
jomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:03 AM   #5162

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
cberlanga,

... When you move the front link to the inner hole on the SB you have to raise the SB up about three inches so the link will line up with the inner hole. That's why the front wheels come off the ground as they do and it happens on every F-53 chassis (with the two holes) since they came out in about 1999.

Is it absolutely necessary to fix that issue? Yes and no. The wheels will come off the ground based on how high the front needs lifted to become level. It just comes off the ground 3" sooner. It is inconvenient and somewhat unsafe to have both wheels off the ground.
I did the CHF more than a year ago and it still works great. I was a bit concerned about the short links - primarily because when I level the coach at a campsite I like all he wheels to remain on the ground. What I did waas buy 14" links made for the rear of a lifter wrangler and use the stock bushings and bolts from Ford in them. It works great and no suspension travel issues. I would never go back to stock.

This is the Manufacturer link - The links are 14" long and are just as stout as the factory ones (I measured them)
https://skyjacker.com/shop/sway-bar-link/sbe507/
buffgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:57 PM   #5163

I did my 2017 Bounder 35K a couple weeks ago in my enclosed storage area. LOL, they use 3/4" rock for the base at that place so besides being uncomfortable you sure have to watch those flat washers and nuts!!

I got the front and rear done in about 35-40 minutes. Pretty duck soup. I took it for a ride to the shop 100 miles away and I noticed a measurable difference in the handling of the rig. While the rig is in the shop I am having them install the Safety Steer front stabilizer and a Safety Steer rear track bar. After I see how all that woks out I may put Sumo Springs in. But in the end I'll wager this tail heavy unit (12'from the rear axle center to bumper) will require a larger rear sway bar.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:01 PM   #5164

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffgunner View Post
I was a bit concerned about the short links - primarily because when I level the coach at a campsite I like all he wheels to remain on the ground. What I did was buy 14" links made for the rear of a lifted wrangler and use the stock bushings and bolts from Ford in them.

This is the Manufacturer link - The links are 14" long and are just as stout as the factory ones (I measured them)
https://skyjacker.com/shop/sway-bar-link/sbe507/

Thanks for that. Those are sort of pricey though. Did you measure the stock F53 links? I just wonder if all the F53 chassis use the same links or not?
Old 06-09-2018, 05:10 PM   #5165

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1340 View Post
I did my 2017 Bounder 35K a couple weeks ago. But in the end I'll wager this tail heavy unit (12'from the rear axle center to bumper) will require a larger rear sway bar.
What really cured the problem on my 99 Dolphin with 12' overhang was to add the a Roadmaster 1-3/4" auxiliary sway bar.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:35 PM   #5166

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
What really cured the problem on my 99 Dolphin with 12' overhang was to add the a Roadmaster 1-3/4" auxiliary sway bar.

I see that in my future. Did you install it yourself? I'll have to jack mine up and drill holes.

And did you change the factory sway links back to the front?