RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2018, 12:38 PM   #5181

Ford Super Duty Owner
Either have someone slightly turn the SW and see what rotates or just look at it and determine what is going to move. If memory serves me right it was somewhere around a pivot point.

If you used a rag and wiped all around the area You'll find some grease seeping out.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2018, 09:48 PM   #5182

Fleetwood Owners Club
Besides all the other stuff I have to improve handling on my '08 Bounder 35H, I just had Sumo Springs put on, front and rear, and all I can say is "Wow!" The improvement is spectacular. No porpoising, no wallowing, corners like a sports car (well, I exaggerate just a tad, but it does make me want to get some track time with it lol).

Things I already have: CHF, Safe-T-Plus, rear track bar, Koni FSD shocks. The fact that Sumo springs can make such a huge difference even with all that stuff is really impressive.

There was just one fly in the ointment. The mechanic who installed them had never seen the CHF before, so he helpfully "fixed" the rear sway bar at no charge The front, with the TeJay plates, was left alone. I explained about the CHF and he asked how many people have done that, and I guessed maybe around 5,000? That number was pulled from my left nostril, to be sure, but a lot more people have probably done it than we know about in this thread.

I'm not sure if I will bother putting it back or not, it's so good anyway. If I do, I may go with the longer sway bar links that some in this thread have installed. Speaking of which, were there any of them that just fit, without having to press out the bushings from the Ford links and re-use them?

Thanks!

-Jonathan

Old 06-14-2018, 08:10 AM   #5183

bluegiller, may I ask what the Sumo Springs cost and install labor ran you ?
Old 06-14-2018, 10:18 AM   #5184

Winnebago Owners Club
Lightbulb

So I just finished a little over 600 miles from Lawton Ok to Pueblo Co. Drove on all types of roads and a boat load of windy areas. I had done the CHF about a month before this trip (both front and rear sway bars) then added a DIY rear track bar, and added a Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer. I am amazed at the way my 2013 Winnebago Vista 30t drives today compared to the past trips. I don't have that constant rocking side to side, big trucks don't push me off the road, and the steering seems to be more firm with less wandering in truck rutted roads (also helps with wind pushing on the rv. The DW is completely satisfied with the mods as she doesn't have to clinch to her seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-20 15.15.11.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	207083   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-20 15.16.05.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	207084  

Old 06-14-2018, 08:32 PM   #5185

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nice work on the mods.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:06 AM   #5186

me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegiller View Post
Besides all the other stuff I have to improve handling on my '08 Bounder 35H, I just had Sumo Springs put on, front and rear, and all I can say is "Wow!" The improvement is spectacular. No porpoising, no wallowing, corners like a sports car (well, I exaggerate just a tad, but it does make me want to get some track time with it lol).

Things I already have: CHF, Safe-T-Plus, rear track bar, Koni FSD shocks. The fact that Sumo springs can make such a huge difference even with all that stuff is really impressive.

There was just one fly in the ointment. The mechanic who installed them had never seen the CHF before, so he helpfully "fixed" the rear sway bar at no charge The front, with the TeJay plates, was left alone. I explained about the CHF and he asked how many people have done that, and I guessed maybe around 5,000? That number was pulled from my left nostril, to be sure, but a lot more people have probably done it than we know about in this thread.

I'm not sure if I will bother putting it back or not, it's so good anyway. If I do, I may go with the longer sway bar links that some in this thread have installed. Speaking of which, were there any of them that just fit, without having to press out the bushings from the Ford links and re-use them?

Thanks!

-Jonathan
I had the Sumosprings installed in January and I agree with this feedback, best mod I have done. Mine were just under $1500 installed. 22K chassis. I have Steer safe front and Blue Ox rear Track bar, nothing else done. Drives great!
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:05 PM   #5187

Cheap fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
Drove to Alaska in June and on the way up the swaying and rocking got really aggravating. While changing oil in Fairbanks I noticed that the front sway bars have two sets of holes. I moved the links to the inner set of holes figuring it would make the sway bar harder to twist thereby increasing the roll stiffness.

I was right. The improvement was amazing. Sway is reduced by 50%, cornering is more responsive and it even rocks less when parked. No Ill effects so far after 5,000 miles.

Cost? $Zero
I am brand new to the forum and just purchased a 2015 Itasca 27n I would like to do the front end cheap fix but not sure I understand exactly what to do. Would there be any pictures available that I could look at?
Bradly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:52 AM   #5188

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I suggest you read this thread, from beginning to end (a not so slight accomplishment). There are many PICs included within this thread, even links to a video or two.

Good luck with your Itasca.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:27 AM   #5189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradly View Post
I am brand new to the forum and just purchased a 2015 Itasca 27n I would like to do the front end cheap fix but not sure I understand exactly what to do. Would there be any pictures available that I could look at?

On a level of technical difficulty this modification is on par with changing a tire on a car. Pretty darn simple. On most rigs you'll have 6 bolts to remove, 4 rear, 2 front and reinstall in a different hole. A couple wrenches and a bottle jack to help move the front bar up.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:02 AM   #5190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradly View Post
Google Cheap Handling Fix and look under the "Video" tab, the Video tab may be listed under the "More" tab. Reading this whole thread would take a month of Sundays and many posts are off topic. Watch a video or two and then come back with specific questions ... or wait for TeJay to magically appear here to guide you.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:55 AM   #5191

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are many pics, some around page #265 or so search that area of the thread and buy the needed front brackets from TeJay. I did and all is well now. Huge improvement. The rear trac bar helps greatly as well.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:20 PM   #5192
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
This may help.. Its an article I wrote when I did mine, with some photos and drawings..

CHF – Cheap Handling Fix – Fix for sway and handling – 1999 Southwind 35S

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:07 AM   #5193

Ford Super Duty Owner
FLHTC3,

We all have the ability to magically appear on the forums, or don't we!!!!!

We have been up since 5-AM trying to fly back from LA to AR and got in at midnight. That will teach us to fly into Denver. I'm beat, so for now I'll leave it to the rest of you folks.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:35 AM   #5194

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
FLHTC3,

We all have the ability to magically appear on the forums, or don't we!!!!!

We have been up since 5-AM trying to fly back from LA to AR and got in at midnight. That will teach us to fly into Denver. I'm beat, so for now I'll leave it to the rest of you folks.

This is why I have an RV. Iím a flyer and hate flying commercial nowadays LoL

Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote