RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-20-2019, 04:58 AM   #5545
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 526
[QUOTE=TeJay;4683340]Bob1340,

[U]"
To the best of my knowledge nobody has had any LINK bolts come loose.
.[/QUOTEU


Link bolts do loosen.This has been the reason for the popping noise up front.
__________________

__________________
Pete , Stroudsburg , PA. 2017 Tiffin 32 SA 24K Chassis
Sumo Springs, Safe T Plus, F&R RM SB, CHF,R-TB,Front Koni FSD Quad Shocks,Rear Koni FSD Quad Shocks,2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Peter M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2019, 07:55 AM   #5546
Member
 
jbwilli1's Avatar


 
Thor Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Canyon Lake TX
Posts: 98
CHF

Crawled under my 2019 32.1 Thor ACE this morning to apply the fix. Thought at first the sway bar didn't have enuf holes. Once I got under close up I could see the arm is connected to the front hole, plus connected to the 2nd hole by a bracket. Looks like Ford applied the fix in better way?


I'll try to get a photo later today.


Applied the 5star tune, looking forward to my next trip to see the difference.
__________________

jbwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:04 AM   #5547
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lowell, Arkansas
Posts: 6,110
Peter M,

Most times when a popping noise was heard it was the result of using the Helwig extended links and having a mismatch with bolts, sleeves and bushings. The mismatch caused some slop in the fitting and hence the popping noise. It did not come from loose bolts/nuts.

If a nut does come loose on a link there won't be slop or looseness. Eventually the bolt might fall out but again I have never read a poster reporting that happening.

Anytime mechanical work is done there can be problems. I don't doubt there have been some loose links bolts due to the fact that there are thousands and thousands of unit in use. If they were not torqued properly or used incorrect sizes of bolts,sleeves and bushings creating looseness in the area the chances are slim to none.

jbwilli1,

I believe what you are seeing is called the Z-backet. Ford uses them but not on every unit top and bottom. Sometimes they are used top and bottom on the 4 links of the SWAY system. More often they are used only on the top front and rear and sometimes on the bottom front and rear.

Many,many owners have just not re-used the brackets on the bottom and have never reported bolt issues. Ford says they are used to add support to the bolts and links. OK if they need the additional support then why don't they install them 100% of the time beginning in 1999?

If you do nothing else to the links you can remove the bracket and swap it 180 degrees then re-install it for the added bolt link support. And if the support is really needed then why has nobody reported loose or missing bolts when they didn't re-use the brackets?

I'm not one to cut corners. I've built several items for the RV and other vehicles that I've owned and driven. In most cases they are over build. My DIY rear Track Bar (TB) uses 1/2" plate. Most aftermarket TB's use 3/8" steel or less. My adjustable plates use 1/2" or 9/16" & 3/8" thick steel. All bolts are either grade 5 or 8 and 10.9 in metric. All bolts are torqued and blue lock tight is used as added insurance.
__________________
TeJay Auto Instructor/4-yrs USAF/ Liz: RN/ WBGO 2014 Vista 30T/ F-53/CHF/5-Star/Koni * Bella & Izzy * Golden /Cocker mix/ Louie The Cat* All Retired
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:16 AM   #5548
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 19,637
If you revetse the Z bar brackets, make sure the link doesn't hit the Z bar during full suspension travel. The link could bend from hitting.
Others have ground them for more clearance.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:22 AM   #5549
Member
 
jbwilli1's Avatar


 
Thor Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Canyon Lake TX
Posts: 98
Chf photo

Photo uploaded


Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwilli1 View Post
crawled under my 2019 32.1 thor ace this morning to apply the fix. Thought at first the sway bar didn't have enuf holes. Once i got under close up i could see the arm is connected to the front hole, plus connected to the 2nd hole by a bracket. Looks like ford applied the fix in better way?


I'll try to get a photo later today.


Applied the 5star tune, looking forward to my next trip to see the difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CHF.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	238717  
jbwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:36 AM   #5550
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 19,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwilli1 View Post
Photo uploaded
The Z bar interference happens mainly on the front.
On the rear, make sure you have clearance between the bar and the parking brake drum.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:37 AM   #5551
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 19,637
Here Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-03-20-11-36-53.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	238718
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:29 AM   #5552
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Peter M,

Most times when a popping noise was heard it was the result of using the Helwig extended links and having a mismatch with bolts, sleeves and bushings. The mismatch caused some slop in the fitting and hence the popping noise. It did not come from loose bolts/nuts.

If a nut does come loose on a link there won't be slop or looseness. Eventually the bolt might fall out but again I have never read a poster reporting that happening.

Anytime mechanical work is done there can be problems. I don't doubt there have been some loose links bolts due to the fact that there are thousands and thousands of unit in use. If they were not torqued properly or used incorrect sizes of bolts,sleeves and bushings creating looseness in the area the chances are slim to none.

jbwilli1,

I believe what you are seeing is called the Z-backet. Ford uses them but not on every unit top and bottom. Sometimes they are used top and bottom on the 4 links of the SWAY system. More often they are used only on the top front and rear and sometimes on the bottom front and rear.

Many,many owners have just not re-used the brackets on the bottom and have never reported bolt issues. Ford says they are used to add support to the bolts and links. OK if they need the additional support then why don't they install them 100% of the time beginning in 1999?

If you do nothing else to the links you can remove the bracket and swap it 180 degrees then re-install it for the added bolt link support. And if the support is really needed then why has nobody reported loose or missing bolts when they didn't re-use the brackets?

I'm not one to cut corners. I've built several items for the RV and other vehicles that I've owned and driven. In most cases they are over build. My DIY rear Track Bar (TB) uses 1/2" plate. Most aftermarket TB's use 3/8" steel or less. My adjustable plates use 1/2" or 9/16" & 3/8" thick steel. All bolts are either grade 5 or 8 and 10.9 in metric. All bolts are torqued and blue lock tight is used as added insurance.
TJ,

Memory refresher. Post # 2
Swaybar noise
__________________
Pete , Stroudsburg , PA. 2017 Tiffin 32 SA 24K Chassis
Sumo Springs, Safe T Plus, F&R RM SB, CHF,R-TB,Front Koni FSD Quad Shocks,Rear Koni FSD Quad Shocks,2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Peter M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:27 AM   #5553
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lowell, Arkansas
Posts: 6,110
Peter M,

"Those types of popping noises are always associated with a link that is loose. If you installed the new SB but my guess is something was not torqued down or a bushing is loose. Did you use some blue lock tight??"

I'll agree the quote above is misleading. When I first said, "a link that is loose" it should have included the information in the next sentence mainly looseness based on ill fitting bolts, washers sleeves and bushings not loose nuts.

I had forgotten all that discussion on the thread regarding noises and such. I re-read the 2 page thread and we had a good discussion regarding that point. There were a lot of good ideas shared and I believe the OP did resolve his noise issue.

Thanks for the old thread reminder.
__________________
TeJay Auto Instructor/4-yrs USAF/ Liz: RN/ WBGO 2014 Vista 30T/ F-53/CHF/5-Star/Koni * Bella & Izzy * Golden /Cocker mix/ Louie The Cat* All Retired
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:19 AM   #5554
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 110
FWIW, after returning to anti sway bars to stock positions, installing Koni FSD shocks, Ultra Trac rear differential stabilizer and Sumo springs, foam cushions, front and rear my MH finally handles wonderfully. Twisting country roads reveal almost no rolling, porpoising. Actually went around one turn too fast and front tires started to squeal a little. Banging on bridge seams remain and obviously Ford engineers can't correct that as long as they produce primitive garbage that they still turn out.
Skywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:34 AM   #5555
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Cincinnati, Oh
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
FWIW, after returning to anti sway bars to stock positions, installing Koni FSD shocks, Ultra Trac rear differential stabilizer and Sumo springs, foam cushions, front and rear my MH finally handles wonderfully. Twisting country roads reveal almost no rolling, porpoising. Actually went around one turn too fast and front tires started to squeal a little. Banging on bridge seams remain and obviously Ford engineers can't correct that as long as they produce primitive garbage that they still turn out.
So just curious did you get any improvement from the chf?

Iím considering the chf or just doing a track bar and front steering stabilizer.
__________________
2014 Thor Ace 30.2
Ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:27 AM   #5556
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 19,637
Try the CHF for free or buy stuff for hundreds of $s.

Tough choice.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:35 AM   #5557
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Try the CHF for free or buy stuff for hundreds of $s.

Tough choice.
Bingo. It's easy to do and just as easy to undo if you don't get the desired results.

I did ours and was happy with the result. It still had a little tailwag when trucks passed, but it wan't terrible. But my wife tended to over correct and start sawing at the wheel. So I added a trac bar, and we're both happy with it now.

Oh, and a front end alignment.
__________________
2017 Thor A.C.E. 30.1
F53 18,000 GVWR
EdInArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:14 PM   #5558
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Cincinnati, Oh
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
Bingo. It's easy to do and just as easy to undo if you don't get the desired results.

I did ours and was happy with the result. It still had a little tailwag when trucks passed, but it wan't terrible. But my wife tended to over correct and start sawing at the wheel. So I added a trac bar, and we're both happy with it now.

Oh, and a front end alignment.
Thatís good advice. Iím going to do the chf first and then see how it goes. The passing trucks and cross winds are what issues I am having. Traveling with full tanks helped but I will still do the chf and see how it goes.
__________________

__________________
2014 Thor Ace 30.2
Ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Workhorse! Please take notes on how Toyota is handling their recall! dezertcamper Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 388 07-18-2010 01:49 PM
Fuel filter fix Discovery 2008 Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 2 10-14-2009 09:48 PM
Icemaker Fix JDT Monaco Owner's Forum 2 09-13-2009 12:14 PM
Fiberglass siding delaminating. Fix? timmosazz MH-General Discussions & Problems 3 07-29-2009 05:22 PM
Rain Fix NEW ?? tvp Newmar Owner's Forum 18 01-13-2006 08:29 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×