RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2019, 09:54 PM   #5671

Thank you for the good info. I found a pair of those for around 45 bucks, much better than the hellwigs.

m_crowther is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2019, 11:19 PM   #5672

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Ok lets be reasonable. Not once did I or anybody else recommend caster settings in the 9 or 10 plus degree range. I guess you'd call those reckless settings. We are just talking about setting on the high end or slightly beyond Fords recommendations. These IMHO and the opinions of many others are not reckless settings.

I was just told by an alignment shop that specializes in F53 issues that all the new 2018/2019's that they've gotten their hands on the caster has been around +10 degrees.

My caster was 10* and 10.5*. The camber was positive ~1.5 degrees and the toe was OUT 1/16 and 1/8".

They bent the axle to get negative camber and set the toe IN 1/16", IIRC.
They used shims to actually reduce the caster to about 9*. They said the alignment pin on the axle is pretty short on new chassis' and doesn't leave much room for shimming.

The surprising result is a steering wheel that now feels more positive than "floaty".

YGoHom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:16 AM   #5673

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGoHom View Post
I was just told by an alignment shop that specializes in F53 issues that all the new 2018/2019's that they've gotten their hands on the caster has been around +10 degrees.

My caster was 10* and 10.5*. The camber was positive ~1.5 degrees and the toe was OUT 1/16 and 1/8".

They bent the axle to get negative camber and set the toe IN 1/16", IIRC.
They used shims to actually reduce the caster to about 9*. They said the alignment pin on the axle is pretty short on new chassis' and doesn't leave much room for shimming.

The surprising result is a steering wheel that now feels more positive than "floaty".
Interesting that the caster is so high stock, are there shims from the factory or did they change the front leaf shackles somehow or maybe axle mounting location. Mine has no shims and the caster is determined by the rear shackle being a pivot while the front is not.

Reducing the float was probably the toe, toe out will feel that way even with good caster and is not desirable you definitely want toe in.
jharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:22 AM   #5674
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Reducing the float was probably the toe, toe out will feel that way even with good caster and is not desirable you definitely want toe in.
Thats what I'm thinking... You don't want toe-out.

I'm going to test drive my 99 Soutwind after I do the track bar to see what, if any improvement.. I'm looking for a truck front end shop that is willing to check the alignment, and possibly shim the caster. Still looking into this.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:26 AM   #5675

Caster was 10*+ from the factory. The alignment shop used shims between the axle and leafs to adjust.
YGoHom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:01 AM   #5676

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGoHom View Post
Caster was 10*+ from the factory. The alignment shop used shims between the axle and leafs to adjust.
Again base caster is set by leaf shackles and mount points and axle mounting location. Then you can use shims to adjust. 10+ caster from the factory is a big change from previous years and would be interesting to see how that was accomplished.
jharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:26 AM   #5677
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Finished making the track bar.. If I get a warm day this week I'll climb under there and get it bolted up.. I'll post a new thread and an article on my web site after I get it installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TrackBar_41_800.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	243256  

Old 04-23-2019, 11:32 AM   #5678

Ford Super Duty Owner
Nice simple straight forward design. That will do the job!!! Good work as usual!!!
Old 04-23-2019, 11:35 AM   #5679
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tnks, Can't wait to get it installed and go for a test drive..

Old 04-23-2019, 01:03 PM   #5680

Very nice, I have the same diff. What thickness is your plate and what length bolts did you get?

Matt
Old 04-23-2019, 01:27 PM   #5681
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Very nice, I have the same diff. What thickness is your plate and what length bolts did you get?
1/2 x 4 x 17. I made a template that should get you close. I'll get it up on my web site.

I used 2 inch bolts on the differential.. put some sealant on the threads as the bolts go through to the inside of the pumpkin.

ALSO - had to grind off some casting numbers on the differential so the plate fits flush.

I'm working on a article for my web site. has a lot of photos:

http://www.1999southwind.com/homemade-rear-track-bar/

Old 04-23-2019, 02:20 PM   #5682

Excellent, thank you for you help Walter
Old 04-23-2019, 04:43 PM   #5683

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good job Waiter. You'll like the results.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:34 PM   #5684

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Ken,

I like your username. It fits well!!

If you are disappointed in the results you will join a group of maybe 2 or 3 for what ever reason didn't find the CHF beneficial enough to keep it anr/or decided to spend $1,000 for larger & stiffer front & rear anti-sway bars (SB). If anything breaks there's also an equally small group to join. In fact you may be the first in the group.

Yes there have been a few loose bolts and noises reported as a result but most all were due to technician error in one form or another.

If you do this yourself do make sure you check the rear SB (Stabilizer Bar) bracket bolts which hold it to the rear axle. If they are at all loose or easy to turn they will be less than 66 ft lbs. Remove the bolts and apply blue lock tight then re-torque. If you have someone else do the CHF ask them to check those rear SB bracket bolts. It will save you time down the road.

We still don't know why but the brackets are/can or will come loose and many owners have discovered bent, broken or missing brackets as well as missing SB bushings.

Read the STICKY right below the CHF STICKY thread. They are coming loose on units as old as 1999 and 2000 as well as newer units like 2016, 2017 and I believe a few 2018. Ford will replace them if under warranty but most are not and that's probably why nothing is being done by Ford to correct the issue. It's only on the rear also.

Please report back to us how things turn out. Thanks & enjoy the ride!!
TeJay, I had the CHF done on the front SB while I had my coach in for alignment with balance and truing of the front wheels/tires. The previous owner of my coach had already installed a second Roadmaster Sway Bar on the rear, so I left that alone. I noticed an immediate improvement as soon as I drove it. About 95 miles each way from my house to Orlando, FL. where I had the work done. A little over 80 of those miles each was was Interstate driving, 6 miles of divided highway getting to/from the Interstate, and about 8 or 10 miles of city street driving in Orlando. Going to Orlando I felt every semi truck that passed as I was pushed to the side. I was constantly correcting with the steering wheel which is tiring. The 95 mile return trip felt like I was driving a different coach. The toe in was corrected which eliminated the wandering and steering wheel corrections, a slight vibration felt in the steering wheel was corrected by truing the tires and balancing. But the biggest surprise came when multiple semi trucks blew by me as I was driving 65 mpg with a toad connected to my coach. It almost felt as if the semi trucks were not even there. I attribute this to the CHF. Now I am ready for a road trip so that my wife and I can enjoy our new ride!