RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2019, 10:01 PM   #5881
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot_ View Post
Remove the upper bolts holding it to the frame rail, and take out the entire assembly and pop it in a press to push the bolt head out of the bushing. While you're at it, do the same for the upper z-bracket because when you reassemble it, it will be very slightly out of alignment too.

You can either swap both assemblies left to right to get it a little closer, or pop both bolts out with a press. It was a pain to figure out what to do but with a press it didn't take much time at all, maybe 15-20 minutes.

There's also a thread on this specific issue: CHF frustration
Yup, "frustration" is a good word. I don't have a press so that option is out.

I get the swapping of the links, but what exactly does that buy you? It sounds like it means that none of the bolts have to be popped out of the bushings and it all just lines up with the inner sway bar holes?

Ray

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2019, 07:05 AM   #5882

Ford Super Duty Owner
As stated by others. First you don't really need a press. Yes it would be easier but a wedge will do the same thing. In either case you have to remove the link so remove and try a wedge.

Still confused why Ford believed it was important to add the serrations to the bolt making this somewhat simple CHF a bit less simple. I can't think of a good reason for doing it. All it does is prevent the bolt from turning. When the nut is tightened it creates the matching serrations on the bracket making it difficult to remove.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:14 PM   #5883

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is like the “Am I a thread killer” thread - it never dies....
Old 11-05-2019, 08:16 PM   #5884

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Yup, "frustration" is a good word. I don't have a press so that option is out.

I get the swapping of the links, but what exactly does that buy you? It sounds like it means that none of the bolts have to be popped out of the bushings and it all just lines up with the inner sway bar holes?

Ray
Yes this has been my experiemce.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:17 PM   #5885

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
As stated by others. First you don't really need a press. Yes it would be easier but a wedge will do the same thing. In either case you have to remove the link so remove and try a wedge.

Still confused why Ford believed it was important to add the serrations to the bolt making this somewhat simple CHF a bit less simple. I can't think of a good reason for doing it. All it does is prevent the bolt from turning. When the nut is tightened it creates the matching serrations on the bracket making it difficult to remove.
Theyre splines dammit
Old 11-05-2019, 08:19 PM   #5886

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok, I’ll go play somewhere eles, just thought Id drop in and say Hey!
Old 11-05-2019, 09:18 PM   #5887

Ford Super Duty Owner
R.Wold

I guess one might use spline. I just used serrations instead. They are somewhat similar but have different purposes.

A spline usually refers to two specifically machined surfaces which allows the machined splines to telescope in and out. The best example is the automatic transmission tail shaft housing accepting the splined shaft of the driveshaft which allows the drive shaft connection while still allowing the drive shaft to telescope in and out as needed.

The differential end of most any rear axle is another familiar example of a spline connection.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:06 PM   #5888

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
R.Wold

I guess one might use spline. I just used serrations instead. They are somewhat similar but have different purposes.

A spline usually refers to two specifically machined surfaces which allows the machined splines to telescope in and out. The best example is the automatic transmission tail shaft housing accepting the splined shaft of the driveshaft which allows the drive shaft connection while still allowing the drive shaft to telescope in and out as needed.

The differential end of most any rear axle is another familiar example of a spline connection.
Yeah yer right. Im a bit off balance tonight. Fell off my horse today and re-injured a shoulder I thought fixed good for life. So Im self medicating....

Cheers!
Old 11-05-2019, 11:24 PM   #5889

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Earlier this evening I would have probably called it an unschedule dismount, but at this point it hurts so damn much my pride is the last of my worries...

Sorry about that...

So captured bolt? Anti-walk? i dont know, all I know is my shoulder hurts
Old 11-06-2019, 05:36 AM   #5890

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Earlier this evening I would have probably called it an unschedule dismount, but at this point it hurts so damn much my pride is the last of my worries...

Sorry about that...

So captured bolt? Anti-walk? i dont know, all I know is my shoulder hurts
Been there, done that ... except my "horse" had wheels, and I slid down the highway on my side for several feet.

Anyway ... hope you heal fast.

I've been calling them knurled bolts.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:59 AM   #5891

Ford Super Duty Owner
My DW would tell me to stop acting like I'm 20 years old again!!! I'm sure you've heard it as well. We just don't like to stop what we always did as we get older.

I've topped a lot of stuff but still crawl under my vehicles as much as it does hurt to get up and down. When you stop doing things just because it hurts will IMHO be the beginning of the end.

Hope you are feeling better ASAP!!! Nobody wants to be in pain.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:38 PM   #5892

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
My DW would tell me to stop acting like I'm 20 years old again!!! I'm sure you've heard it as well. We just don't like to stop what we always did as we get older.

When you stop doing things just because it hurts will IMHO be the beginning of the end. .
Yeah thats what they call “letting the old man in”. Im trying to keep him waiting as long as possible, but right now it feels like he might have found his own way in.

By way of an update I made it til around 3am and by then it hurt so damn much I could barely move (DW found me on the bathroom floor in the dark trying to ride it out...) so I relented and went in to the hospital.

They treated me like an old friend, got the process going with the obligatory xrays and referrals and its off to the MRI next. I think I pulled or broke out one or more of my titanium anchor bolts (not sure if they are serrated, splined or knurled).

So a few weeks of a very familiar and unpleasant healing if Im lucky, and another surgery if Im not.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:01 PM   #5893

Ford Super Duty Owner
The wonders of modern medicine, if you're lucky and all the stars are aligned.

I know I'd be dead if it were not for MM.

We shouldn't let this stray to far from the topic of the CHF. That my friend is till a work in progress with the new serrated or splined bracket bolts. Maybe I'll get to work on a newer RV that has them to give a better picture of how it can be more easily overcome.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:32 AM   #5894

I just purchased my '04 Chassis last July, and it had new rear sway bar bushing installed when I recieved it. They are already looking like they need to be replaced. They are blue poly, and the bar looks like it is trying to push out through the rear.

Any thoughts on this? I though I would do the CHF when I replace them over the winter. (that's how I found them, looking to size up the CHF job)

What is the best brand replacement to buy for the bushings?

Thanks in advance.

dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote