RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2020, 10:59 AM   #5923

Ford Super Duty Owner
I did the CHF (front/rear) before we departed for home and the RV had 40 miles on it. We just turned over to 40,000 miles and it has responded as expected & reported. I can drive with one hand most of the time but I don't. Winds bother us very little if any. Sometimes everything lines up properly and a wind gust catches me off guard but that is very, very rare.

Nothing has fallen off, bent, worn out or broken. Still the cheapest and best MOD one can do in just about 95% of all motor homes. A few have reported little to no improvement. My guess is those are your heavier motor homes which makes sense. The greater the weight the more it takes to sway the RV.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2020, 12:07 PM   #5924

I did it front and rear as well. Our first trip out it was a windy day, and it was hard to drive. My wife wanted to drive it, and she was really dismayed at how much it rocked on corners and how hard it was to control. She planned to take some long trips with her mom and was seriously disappointed we had sold our Class C.

I did the CHF, and the change was immediately noticeable. We took it to northwest Arkansas, and my wife was much more confident driving it and much relieved that she wasn't frightened of it.

We still had some tail wag in the wind and from passing trucks, and she tended to over-correct, setting up a weaving motion. I installed a Blue Ox Tiger Trak, and that fixed that problem.

It still wanted to wander a bit on narrow roads, and a front end alignment fixed that.

It's an easy one-hand driver now even in the wind.

I have recently installed a set of TeJay's plates because I kept lifting the front wheels off the ground leveling, but we had no handling issues or abnormal wear issues before the plate.

Follow this thread, and you'll see that jmckinley did the first CHF on this thread almost ten years ago. If it somehow introduced a problem I think we'd know it by now.

Old 01-16-2020, 12:28 AM   #5925

Update: Approximately 60K miles now and no problems.

One caution though. My hair is considerably more grey than it was when I did the first CHF in June 2010. It must be the CHF that is causing it. If you read the early posts you'll notice that some guys said terrible things could happen if anyone messed with Ford's suspension engineering; maybe they were right. Doing the CHF will make you old.

John McKinley
Genius Father of the CHF
jmckinley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:40 AM   #5926

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post

One caution though. My hair is considerably more grey than it was when I did the first CHF in June 2010. It must be the CHF that is causing it. If you read the early posts you'll notice that some guys said terrible things could happen if anyone messed with Ford's suspension engineering; maybe they were right. Doing the CHF will make you old.

John McKinley
Genius Father of the CHF
Well, I was old and gray before I did it, so all's good.

It's always good to hear from you.

There are always doomsayers. I've got a friend who goes on and on, and I can say I've done something for most of my life with no problems, and he'll say "Yet." No arguing that, I suppose.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:45 AM   #5927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlmr4784 View Post
Old post.....
How has this fix been serving you so far?
Maybe you moved to different rig by now...but, hoe did the mod fair overall.
I had forgotten about this poll. I see the last input was almost three years ago, but it's still relevant.

Cheap Handling Fix poll
Old 01-16-2020, 04:10 PM   #5928

Agree-- the CHF is by far the best (and cheapest) modification we have made to our Ford Chassis!!! Sway reduced [conservatively] by 50%.
PaulAndTami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:01 AM   #5929

Quote:

John McKinley
Genius Father of the CHF
Thanks for doing this. I did just the front and my mechanic thought I was nuts. I then drove it and the difference was remarkable. I drove to Arizona from Saskatchewan and it handled great. Currently in Mexico.

Thanks again for starting this. I do wonder if the poster who was arguing the most at the start finally do the fix or did his stubbornness cause him to sway away!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:43 PM   #5930

I've wondered about that myself. My guess is the naysayers would never admit it even if they did try it.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:54 PM   #5931

Quote:
I've wondered about that myself. My guess is the naysayers would never admit it even if they did try it.
After 50+ years riding and tinkering with motorcycles I know that there are some who will never accept that anything made by a reputable manufacturer can ever be improved. They use only oil and filters bought at the dealership and made specifically for that bike and consider any change not endorsed by the manufacturer to be insane.

Then there are people like us who can't leave the danged things alone.

I also thank you and include TeJay for having the gall to change it. We've all profited.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:25 PM   #5932

Ford Super Duty Owner
EdInArk,

From time to time I've toyed with the idea of sending some of those doubting Thomas's a PM to see if they'd respond.

I have to add this. The world would be a vastly different place had folks never dared to think outside the box. Just accepting what we are given without trying to make improvements is just wrong. I truly feel sorry for those who fall into that category. Life can be and is so much more exciting thinking out side the box.

I believe Thomas Edison tried over 1,500 experiments before he finally came up with a light bulb that worked based on his vision of what it should or might be.

Perhaps had he stopped after 1,400 experiments we might all still be in the dark after sunset? Just kidding!!! Somebody would have figured it out!!
Old 01-17-2020, 11:27 PM   #5933

We should be listening to the Naysayers. They warned us that messing with the CHF would bring bad things and they were right. You and I and TeJay are rapidly aging because we violated Ford's suspension engineering. TeJay is already six months older than me so it's getting worse.

Naysayers told me (and probably you too) that if I rode motorcycles off road in my seventies I would fall off and hurt myself and they were right about that too.

The Naysayers are often right. But guys like us just don't care.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:13 AM   #5934

Ford Super Duty Owner
John,

You mean you bought a bike with a motor??? That's right you did have a motorcycle. I sure hope you didn't fall off of it? That can really hurt you.

While in ME the family went rock walking over in Prospect Harbor. I had my CROCKS on and took the worst fall. I really twisted & bruised 3 toes (right foot) and cracked a rib. I was told 6 ways from Sunday how stupid it was to walk on boulders with CROCKS. That was in Sept and it's still not properly healed. Hasn't slowed me down.

Did you do the air bag install as planned and did it work??
Old 01-18-2020, 06:06 AM   #5935

Natsayers also told me I was crazy last summer. Our town got hit with 4" hail, fortunately we were in the MH just far enough away it was not damaged. The house and two 24' x 24' garages were not so lucky. Most friends though 72 years old was too old to replace the roofs by myself. They were wrong and it saved me about $15,000. Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:36 AM   #5936

Ford Super Duty Owner
04fxsts,

Following retirement when and more importantly IF we decide to become a couch potato we will soon fade away.

Congrats!!! You won that battle by saving a ton of $$$ and accomplished something others said you shouldn't or couldn't do. You still are the best judge. At 76 soon be 77 just getting out of bed hurts but we don't stop trying?

Just two days ago I bought 4 used but sharpened 10" saw blades and had 10 more sharpened. That should last me at least 10 to 15 years. I'm not giving up just yet!!!