Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #813

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I thought about notching them but in the end just kept them off. I haven't had any issues so far. In the end, I might go with the longer links and reinstall them, but its not my radar yet.

Keith
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #814

Leave them off. Mine didn't come with lower Z brackets.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #815

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is what the z brackets are for.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/949...les/041102.pdf
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #816

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Because the Ford bolts don't go into the Hellwig sleeves. Use the Hellwig rubber bushings with the Ford sleeves.
Ok, now I'm even more confused. The Hellwig kit comes with nuts, bolts, sleeves, bushings and arms. Why wouldn't I install all Hellwig parts? Or are the Hellwig bolts the wrong size for the holes on the sway bar?
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #817

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Ok, now I'm even more confused. The Hellwig kit comes with nuts, bolts, sleeves, bushings and arms. Why wouldn't I install all Hellwig parts? Or are the Hellwig bolts the wrong size for the holes on the sway bar?
Yes they are too small. I pressed out the Helwig sleeves, pressed in the Ford ones and reused the Ford hardware. It works great.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #818

I used the Hellwig bushings as they are shaped to match the Hellwig ends. Ford bushings are not shaped the same way. I wanted to use the Ford hardware (nuts/bolts) as there are millings in the arms for the nuts. My Hellwigs did not come with anything put together. I used the Ford sleeves and Ford nuts/bolts with the Hellwig links. This way I won't have to hunt around for different size sockets and wrenches if I have to change things back. They installed easily, except the one near the a/c compressor, but if did install without moving anything around. I will test drive maybe tomorrow. My driveway is steep so pulling out onto the level road will be a good test for something to snap. If it doesn't do it here, I don't think it will anywhere.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #819

Thor Owners Club
I too used the Ford sleeves and hardware with the Hellwig links and bushings. My test drive was about a 600 mile round trip to Florida and back for the July 4th holiday. No issues and the mod worked great for me!
Old 07-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #820

Monaco Owners Club
I'm still using all stock components and have about 4000 mi on the fix and certainly no problems. I know John McKindley didn't use longer links and I'll guess he has 10,000 mi. John?

I didn't like the new angle when I was finished, but no real physics reasons to be concerned. I did vote I may add longer links. But I'm really curious what those of you who used longer links based your decision on.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #821

Appalachian Campers
Torque Specifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard S. View Post
This is what the z brackets are for.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/949...les/041102.pdf
Thanks for the post. The PDF gives the torque specs for the bolts.
alhardy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #822

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
I didn't like the new angle when I was finished, but no real physics reasons to be concerned. I did vote I may add longer links. But I'm really curious what those of you who used longer links based your decision on.
What year is yours? There are real changes to the physics here, including the shorter lever arm - both due to using the inside sway bar holes and more due to moving the sway bar up... It'd be more appropriate to use longer links.

I appreciate the link above for info on the Z-brackets. On the 99 they cannot be installed without notching.

I haven't driven mine yet, but with all the feedback on how well this works, I'm not terribly concerned.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #823

Like I posted, my `04 didn't come with lower Z brackets on the front. I was able to reverse them on the rear.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #824

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post

I appreciate the link above for info on the Z-brackets. On the 99 they cannot be installed without notching.
Should be able to put them back on, if you buy the adjustable links . Thats my plan.
Question...... on a 18,000 lb chassis, where the sway bar goes over top of the diff, are the adjustable links needed?
Old 07-20-2012, 06:00 AM   #825

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide

Should be able to put them back on, if you buy the adjustable links . Thats my plan.
Question...... on a 18,000 lb chassis, where the sway bar goes over top of the diff, are the adjustable links needed?
On my '99 with over the pig sway bar, I used all stock parts. I had Z brackets front and rear. No noticable change in geometry in the rear. No problem with Z brackets front or rear and they were all re-used. It's as if Ford designed this system to be adjustable.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #826

Appalachian Campers
I decided to move my sway bar links this weekend after recieving my new poly bushings. Thought it would be an easy task, however, the old bushings were melted to the sway bar, axle and mounting bracket. The old rubber bushings were like a heavy tar, almost liquid. Installing the bushings was easy after the cleaning. Changing the link holes was very easy on the rear. Then I decided to do the front links next. Had all the nuts unscrewed and the z-brackets removed then I discovered that the longer bolt would not clear the leaf spring to get it out (same on both sides). I will get a bottle jack next weekend and push the front sway bar down about 1/4" to remove the bolts. Looking forward for next trip to test this mod out. I know the new bushings will definetely help.
alhardy48 is offline   Reply With Quote