Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #967

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Leigh Racing View Post
Safe travels to you & yours Bruce on your trip.
Always remember before you pull out of the drive way, in Gods word, the man walking & was only one set of foot prints in the sand & he wondered where God was. God was carrying him & he will carry us every which way we go in our travels.

If your going I-40, take her slow west of Little Rock cause it is ruff.
Neil
We did I40 on the way home from the coast of NC a few weeks ago....been through Houston once and that was enough
The worst of I-40 is Oklahoma, especially the last few miles before Texas.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #968

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Leigh Racing View Post
Safe travels to you & yours Bruce on your trip.
Always remember before you pull out of the drive way, in Gods word, the man walking & was only one set of foot prints in the sand & he wondered where God was. God was carrying him & he will carry us every which way we go in our travels.

If your going I-40, take her slow west of Little Rock cause it is ruff.
Neil
Neil, Thank you for your good wishes. I respect your right to choose to follow a diety, and I would hope that you would respect my right to choose not to subscribe to such beliefs.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #969

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
750 miles on the CHF in the last two days. Definite difference in overall stability. As we pulled in to the campground in Mobile tonight, DW commented that the ride seemed better. Now that's serious praise! Noticing some popping noises from front end while maneuvering on uneven surfaces in the campground. Had a quick look underneath and don't see anything loose. Anyone else experience this?
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #970

The end links need to be tightened to 66 ft.lb. If you think you have it tight, put a torque wrench on it and see how much more it will tighten. It will be surprising. Others have reported the same thing and the fix was a torque wrench.

My GF wouldn't even comment unless I asked her. Stubborn.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #971

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
The end links need to be tightened to 66 ft.lb. If you think you have it tight, put a torque wrench on it and see how much more it will tighten. It will be surprising. Others have reported the same thing and the fix was a torque wrench.

My GF wouldn't even comment unless I asked her. Stubborn.
Checked the link bolts and sure enough, one of them was not as tight as the others. I didn't have a torque wrench available, so used the old method of "tighten until it squeaks then half a turn more". I'll borrow or rent a torque wrench when we get to New Mexico next week and do it properly. Thanks for the tip Dunner!
Old 10-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #972

It's not critical. Just tighten the 10.9 grade stock Ford bolts as tight as you can. As I posted, you're not the only one who has fixed the "clunk" this way. Glad you found it.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #973

Ford Super Duty Owner
I thought I had tightened the bolts enough using wrenches. I had tighened them as tight as I could with box end wrenches. On our first trip I had the clunk. At our first night stop I checked them using a torque wrench. I could not believe how much more I tightened them using a torque wrench. No more clunk in 5,000 miles.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #974

I learned that years ago when I bought a used truck. It wandered all over the road because the steering box was loose. I tightened it to what I thought was tight. A week later it was wandering again. This time, I tightened it to specs and it never came loose again.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #975

I have over 22 hundred miles on my coach. Only made one short 500 mile trip before the CHF. It is stiffer on sway but you have to take it real easy on off canter dips. I didn't torque nothing but I used a 2131 ingersol rand half inch impact gun. I just checked everything and all is tight as a fiddle. My bolts are over 66 foot pounds, as I know my gun. I tried to tighten with a half inch ratchet and I could get nothing. They are tight. Mine look like the thickness of the first pictures. I think both pics are the same thickness, just an allusion of sorts I would guess. Would a rear trac bar do much good? May help in the wind, I don't know, may have to get one. It has a factory one on the front, and probably should have had on the rear I would guess. But ford is cheap, I know!
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #976

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
I have over 22 hundred miles on my coach. Only made one short 500 mile trip before the CHF. It is stiffer on sway but you have to take it real easy on off canter dips. I didn't torque nothing but I used a 2131 ingersol rand half inch impact gun. I just checked everything and all is tight as a fiddle. My bolts are over 66 foot pounds, as I know my gun. I tried to tighten with a half inch ratchet and I could get nothing. They are tight. Mine look like the thickness of the first pictures. I think both pics are the same thickness, just an allusion of sorts I would guess. Would a rear trac bar do much good? May help in the wind, I don't know, may have to get one. It has a factory one on the front, and probably should have had on the rear I would guess. But ford is cheap, I know!

Yes it would.
We all would probably be surprised, if there was a camera under the RV, so we could see what was going on under there while traveling down the highway.
Wheres the fresh water tank located in your coach.
Neil
Old 10-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #977

Fresh water is in front of the drive axle running side to side in the basement. 80 gallons. 80 gallon gas is behind the drive axle running front to back between frame rails. Always leave home with both full. I think I will order the rear trac bar and maybe some new Koni shocks. Got a set of centramatics coming for steer and drive axle. But my bilstein shocks are brand new, so would I gain a little with konies on ride?
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #978

Clunk Clunk

It's been close to 20,000 miles and two years since I invented the Cheap Handling Fix at a campground in Alaska. Finally, in the last month or so, I started to experience the dreaded Clunk-Clunk. Thanks to all of you, I knew what to do.

Crawled under and sure enough, not enough torque on the link bolts. As Dunner and others have reported, 66 ft-lbs is a tough to apply when lying on your back with your arms above your head. No way was my original fix torqued anyways near that since I only had a 3/8 ratchet and a wrench with me. After torquing to 66 ft-lbs Clunk-Clunk is now gone and probably won't reappear for a long time.

John McKinley
Genius Inventor of the Cheap Handling Fix
Old 10-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #979

If I don't have a breaker bar or torque wrench with me, I put the box end on the nut or bolt, and take a second box end and put it in the open end of the wrench on the nut and have an extension.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #980

Ford Super Duty Owner
I did the mod several months ago and have not heard any clunking. But I checked the torque on mine today front & rear, they were all about 55 so cranked them to 66. When I did the mod I didn't know the torque at that time and only tightened with a 1/2" ratchet. I suspect the 55 was a result of using the short handle ratchet. With the longer torque wrench handle 66 was a fairly easy pull.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote