Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #981

OK, it took me four days, but I have read all 983 posts / 71 pages of this thread, and here's what I've gleaned;

• No one has reported that the CHF has made their handling worse.
  • The vast majority have reported a substantial improvement in handling/stability/ease of driving. The single most common descriptor was "Wow!" A few owners have reported a slight, but not significant, improvement.
  • Two owners have had the CHF performed by a Ford dealer, with no questions or hesitation by the dealers.
  • No one has contacted FoMoCo directly and gotten anything in writing either blessing or condemning the fix.
  • One poster said he was a Ford engineer with experience in chassis design and he didn't have any issues with the CHF.
  • Mr. McKinley reports the most post fix mileage at 20k plus, several others at 5k plus.
  • Several posters noted a popping noise, traced to loose link bolts. This was only reported by those using the Helwig adjustable end links, and was typically cured by torquing the end link bolts to the Ford spec of 66 ft lbs. No other issues noted by any poster.
  • Without keeping an exact count it appears that somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 owners have performed the CHF.
  • Dunner still hasn't posted pics of his attic.
  • Installation is least painful with multiple applications of #7.
Have I missed anything?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #982

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine94
[*]Installation is least painful with multiple applications of #7.

Have I missed anything?
That's the only one I remember. I do think you missed something though. Read all again and we'll be waiting for your conclusion on Monday
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #983

Just ordered the Blue Ox 2400 TT for the rear. We have the 18000 GVWR chassis. This unit installs differently than others I've seen, not to the third member housing but to the sway bar brackets. The vendor at the Calif. RV show called the Blue Ox factory to ask if this was correct, he actually talked to the guy who designed the Tiger Trak. He said it was and that the unit that mounts to the 3rd member is for bigger chassis'. Anyone have one of these on their rig? Did I read in an earlier post that someone ordered poly sway bar bushings from Ford?

Best to all.
So Cal Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #984

Never heard of that type and it's too dark to go see how it would work.

I've read that you can only get the bushings from Ford if you buy the whole anti-sway bar. If you know the diameter of your bar, you can get them from ebay.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:41 AM   #985

I want to do this to mine. The front only for now 2001 Ford (think it's a F53). My Question what happens if were going down the road at 55mph and the thing brakes ?
TRELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:54 AM   #986

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRELL View Post
I want to do this to mine. The front only for now 2001 Ford (think it's a F53). My Question what happens if were going down the road at 55mph and the thing brakes ?
Probably nothing you could tell. You can drive these without a sway bar or a trac bar.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #987

Monaco Owners Club
You will roll over in a huge firey crash.

Just kidding. Just going down the road there in no tension on the system at all, even on dips and bumps in the road. It's only when you get into uneven (side to side) situations, like coming out of your driveway, gas station, ect. Also when when taking curves and during high crosswinds (minimal stress). The F53 has millions/billions of miles on them. With 100+ people doing the fix, we must be approching 1 million.

If a link were to break (and would have to be defective), you would probably be taking a 35mph curve at 60 and you would be in the ditch anyway. Drive it like a MH and you will have no problems.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #988

Sway bar upgrade

Ok guys i bought a 1998 Winnabago about 3 months ago, I pull a 24ft enclosed car trailer the weighs about all together 5000lbs ok with the traier or not that thing rocks side to side going down the road and when a semi passes you boy you better be ready i hate driving it can i do the sway bar upgrade i looked at the sway bars front and rear and by the way i changed the rear sway bar rubber bushing they were wore out. i look at the front and it looks like if i change the to the inside holes that the rod wont be long enough by the way it is a Ford with the v-10 i think its the 53 series how can i find out i need help i hate driving this thing its only got 42,000 miles on it.
rvjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #989

I know it is a bit much to read 1000 posts, but if you read page 5, 10, 15, etc, you will see that some did and some didn't replace the links and the sky hasn't fallen. You'll love the fix.

New shocks may also help. They did for my friend with the Chevy chassis and no sway bars at all.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #990

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Roo View Post
Just ordered the Blue Ox 2400 TT for the rear. We have the 18000 GVWR chassis. This unit installs differently than others I've seen, not to the third member housing but to the sway bar brackets. The vendor at the Calif. RV show called the Blue Ox factory to ask if this was correct, he actually talked to the guy who designed the Tiger Trak. He said it was and that the unit that mounts to the 3rd member is for bigger chassis'. Anyone have one of these on their rig? Did I read in an earlier post that someone ordered poly sway bar bushings from Ford?

Best to all.
Yeah, thats where my trac bar mounts. You have a Dana 80 rear axle.
You will get a spacer block to fit behind the other sway bar mount, to even things out.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #991

HELP!

Remarkable info on this cheap fix issue. Just purchased a 2013 Thor ACE 29.2. F-53 Ford chassis, 16-k. I can't seem to find the reply in this thread that explains exactly how to do this. The front is an obvious change in mount holes from end holes to the others. The rear is a different story. Directing me to pics. would be great, but all the pics. that were on here are no longer available, at least on my computer. Thanks in advance to all involved with this info. Will make it much easier to get my Wife behind the wheel!!
txrmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #992

Upgrade

Yes i would like to see pics to of the front and rear upgrade.
rvjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #993

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by txrmj View Post
Remarkable info on this cheap fix issue. Just purchased a 2013 Thor ACE 29.2. F-53 Ford chassis, 16-k. I can't seem to find the reply in this thread that explains exactly how to do this. The front is an obvious change in mount holes from end holes to the others. The rear is a different story. Directing me to pics. would be great, but all the pics. that were on here are no longer available, at least on my computer. Thanks in advance to all involved with this info. Will make it much easier to get my Wife behind the wheel!!
The rear is the same procedure as the front. Just move link ends from front hole to rear hole.

Here is the front done:

Here is two of the rear, first done, second not done.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #994

The pic with the arrow is mine, showing where it hits with the jacks fully extended. Something that will never happen under normal driving and will not harm anything if it does.