Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2011, 03:08 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Just reread all of this again. Sounds interesting. I would like to confirm this clearance issue though. This is only for the small size F-53 and not the 06-later 22K F-53?

Other way round. It worked great on my 07 22k F-53 and several others were newer coaches. I think the only ones we heard from that did not work were the older lighter weight coaches.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2011, 06:04 AM   #100

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Moving the front for sure works on a 2008 22K F-53 with no need to buy the longer links. I have not moved the rear bar, so don't know about that one. The front was a great improvement for me.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:51 AM   #101

On my rears, the hole nearer to the axle is occupied by a bracket that goes from the drag link. Does this bracket just get flipped around?

EDIT: This won't work for me anyway. I have about 3" of spacers under my springs on the front axle. I don't know why but this rig was tilted down toward the front real bad. When I had the alignment done, we put in spacers to bring the front up and level the rig out. This created a longer distance for my links, so I guess I would need adjustable links to do this. When I switched the front and then jacked it up, my link ended up looking a lot different than the picture on page three.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #102

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Just reread all of this again. Sounds interesting. I would like to confirm this clearance issue though. This is only for the small size F-53 and not the 06-later 22K F-53?
I had some clearance issues with the rear sway bar at, or near, full suspension travel. The bar would swing foward and upward and hit the diff housing where the bar drops down and around the carrier housing (center part of axle). I had to lengthen the links a little. My chassis is a 2000 F53 with a 20500lbs GVW.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:05 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by burmashave View Post
I have a 1996 Tropical 236 with a Ford 460 and I'm assuming an F53 chassis and the front sway bar doesn't have two holes, just the one at the end. What am I missing?

bump
burmashave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:34 AM   #104

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Same way on my 97 F53 chassis. We're out of luck.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #105

thanks for answering. at least now I know
burmashave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #106

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2007 22,000 pound Ford Chassis and just did the stabilizer link modification on the front using the stock links. I notice on mine when I raise the front on the jacks the stabilizer bar hits the bottom of the spring on the drivers side just before the tire clears the ground. Have any others found this on theirs?? Using the Hellwig 7962 adjustable links I'm sure this can be avoided.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #107

Ford Super Duty Owner
Update to post if anyone is following this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippo View Post
I have a 2007 22,000 pound Ford Chassis and just did the stabilizer link modification on the front using the stock links. I notice on mine when I raise the front on the jacks the stabilizer bar hits the bottom of the spring on the drivers side just before the tire clears the ground. Have any others found this on theirs?? Using the Hellwig 7962 adjustable links I'm sure this can be avoided.
I took the motorhome for it's first drive today after doing the stabilizer mod a few days ago. The cornering and side to side roll is much improved. So far I have only done the front.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #108

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What's the best way to align the hole on the sway bar link to the 2nd hole on the sway bar? Front leveling jacks down first, then floor jack to lift the axel?
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:15 AM   #109

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomakat View Post
What's the best way to align the hole on the sway bar link to the 2nd hole on the sway bar? Front leveling jacks down first, then floor jack to lift the axel?
For the front I did mine parked on level ground with no jacks down. There is very slight tension if any on the stabilizer bar. I removed the nuts on the link bolts at the stabilizer bar, then use a bottle jack under the end of the stabilizer bar to raise the end just enough to easily remove the bolts. Once the bolts are out you can position the stabilizer bar by hand to bolt the link to the stabilizer bar. You can then use the bottle jack again to align the other hole to install that bolt.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #110

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I have an unlevel driveway. I raised the front as far as it would go and used bottle jacks and 6 ton jack stands. The front axle was too much for my floor jack. I used the floor jack and a hammer with a block of wood to fine-tune the position of the sway bar so I could easily re-insert the bolts. Here's a picture as I was finishing up:

Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #111

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Zippo and Luv2go.

I did the change today (front sway only) and then went out for a test drive on the freeway; today also happened to be a windy day. Wow! I'm very impressed at what such an easy and small change can do. The sway that I previously felt on the front of the RV is now gone; everything feels so hunkered down. A couple times I was going over 70 mph and had to slow down.

This sway bar change, in addition to my Koni FSDs, rear Ultratrac, and Safe-T-Plus, has really addressed all the problems that I was experiencing with my coach.

I am very happy that I came across this particular forum thread and for the OP to share this little piece of gold with us. I'm looking forward to a more thorough test this coming weekend when I'm off to a local campground. If it's anything like my original test, I'm going to be a very happy camper!!!

Cheers to all!!!

-Tom
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #112

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
John, just made the trip from Texas to North Idaho with the mod. I cannot thank you enough. gps
gpscotty is offline   Reply With Quote