Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #1233

I got the torque values. GA Traveler gave me the Ford Customer Service number and I called. Learned two things.

1) I had an incorrect vin number. I had two "G"s in the number instead of two "6"s which is the correct number. Now I'll have to check the title and make sure it's correct.

2) For the 2011 F53 22,000 GVWR chassis both the links and the clamps are torqued to 66 ft lbs just as has been mentioned here. The 24,000 and 26,000 GVWR chassis is torqued to a higher value therefore if you have the 16,000, 18,000 or 20,500 GVWR chassis you might want to check on the torque value for those, they may be different as well.

I apologize that I wasn't quick thinking enough to ask for the values for all the models or at least confirm they are the same.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #1234

I think they are all the same as the links are all the same. On the newer stuff all the sway bars are smaller then the inch and a half the older rigs had. The older rig also had a lot strong bracket on the rear housing then the glorified hose clamp thing ford uses now. You would have to be a pretty mean ombré to over tighten them with a foot long half inch ratchet. So 66 foot pounds should be in the ballpark for all the links. Might want to check the axle brackets too while you are under there. And the bushings in the axle brackets as the stockers are just rubber. Not the good neoprene like you can get aftermarket!
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:02 AM   #1235

66ft lbs on the link retaining bolts.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:58 AM   #1236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
66ft lbs on the link retaining bolts.
According to Ford, 66 ft lbs on the retaining clamp bolts as well; at least for the 22K chassis. That value came as a surprise to me; I expected lower.

For KS. Ford was clear that the larger chassis' 24K and 26K had higher torque values (it was something over 100 ft lbs). Unfortunately I did not ask about the smaller chassis; I know you have suggested they are the same as the 22K. I would not be so sure without checking though because she mentioned that the 22K has a larger anti-sway bar than the 16K and 18K. I think the 20.5K has the same bar as the 22K.

It's a free call to anyone who wants to check. (1 800 444 3311) You’ll need your VIN number.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #1237

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dave (Whem2fish) fixed me up Saturday and did the fix.

He was able to adjust the MH with the jacks to line up the front holes. He got the back ones in without having to adjust the MH or having to use the jacks. He did the fix in about an hour.

Whem2fish knows his stuff! He is a helicopter mechanic and he knows his tools and applications and is very appreciated.

Just ordered the rear sway bar bushings since they are in bad shape/degenerating.

Dunner provided this link:

Ford F53 Class A Rear Poly Sway Bar Bushings 1999 2011 | eBay
Old 02-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #1238

I finally got to take the MH out this weekend. Initial impressions: it doesn't drive like a Ferrari. I want my money back.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #1239

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfolland View Post
I finally got to take the MH out this weekend. Initial impressions: it doesn't drive like a Ferrari. I want my money back.

Well, you should be happy about that. If it did, I would have reversed the CHF. LOL
On the other hand if it would only handle like a Porsche.... Ah that would be heaven.
And for the uninitiated... It's two syllables, Por-sha' not Porsh.

Okay now just give me a second to pull on my flame retardent suit and helmet before you respond.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #1240

My MH is like driving a 20,000 (18720) lb sports car.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #1241

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for all the input. We just bought a new 2012 Georgetown 360 XL, 22,000 axles, 22.5 wheels on a F-550 SD stripped MH chassis. . First trip out (Holy Bat Poop Bat Man) I thought I was driving a fuel tanker. in addition to a track bar I'm going to experiment the sway bar set-up. Thanks for the information.
MEDSTAR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #1242

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDSTAR 1 View Post
Thanks for all the input. We just bought a new 2012 Georgetown 360 XL, 22,000 axles, 22.5 wheels on a F-550 SD stripped MH chassis. . First trip out (Holy Bat Poop Bat Man) I thought I was driving a fuel tanker. in addition to a track bar I'm going to experiment the sway bar set-up. Thanks for the information.
Driving a fuel tanker, if you felt that, than that must mean you drove one of the conventional Mack tractors, with their copy of Rayco rear springs & hangers, with a 50 ft long, 6 ft thick stick of gas dinomite behind you & those two tandem axles walking back & forth under the chassis. Yeah, now thats some REAL driving for sure.

Now I know real well what that feels like, having been a tanker driver for a few years, knowing how unsafe those tractors are & then Mack wouldnt admit that there was a problem.
A tanker loaded with 10,000 gallons of gas, is unsafe enough if nothing goes wrong, but add that to it while your driving trying not to kill yourself & everybody else within a 1/4 mile, will wear on you after a while.
Neil
Old 02-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #1243

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
CHF

did the CHF and it was all everyone said, F53 18000. Picking up new 2013 F53 24000 adventurer 37F and will do the the CHF . Thanks to all
mike garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #1244

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike garry View Post
did the CHF and it was all everyone said, F53 18000. Picking up new 2013 F53 24000 adventurer 37F and will do the the CHF . Thanks to all
Mike,
Go ahead & plan on installing a rear trac bar on that new WBgo, as well as the CHF, unless it has one on it already, just to cut out that tail wag.
Neil
Old 02-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #1245

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
CHF

Neil,

Already scheduled for Monday thanks

mike garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #1246

Damon Owners Club
Smile Just completed first drive with the cheap fix for the F53

To everyone that participated and contributed to all the posts concerning the quick/cheap fix for the F53 sway bars. THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Absolutely remarkable describes it. A definite decline in sway and addition in responsiveness. I also had Bilsteins put all the way around. It drives like a different coach now. Just turned it over 7000 miles. For an 08 Damon Challenger 378, it's certainly had it's share of sitting. BTW, this is my first post after two years,,,I know,,,,I've sure learned a lot from many of you. I send my best.
Garyzster is offline   Reply With Quote