RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #1373

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Cheap handling fix on 06 georgie boy

Did the fix on my Georgie Boy a couple a month ago but just got to try it out last week on first trip of the year.I was pleasantly surprised at how much better the unit handled and the sway when trucks pass was almost nonexistant.I was very pleased with something that only took about a half hour to do.Great idea ,thumbs up.

06georgieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #1374

It has been a while since I did all the fix to ours, sway bar CHF, rear sway bar bushings, track bar, & have been many miles since, but I really didnt realize how much better it was REALLY handling until last week with the high winds.
Winds were so high the trees were bending & then the real high gust would send me chasing the steering wheel, still though it never got out of control.
I can only think, that if all the fixes had not been done to the chassis, I would have ended up in a ditch somewhere or turned over.
All my years of driving, 20 years of that on trucks, the other week was the worst winds I've ever drove in, so I feel like my little ol Ford done pretty good.
Neil

Old 04-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #1375

Supposed to be 50-60 MPH gusts in Phx today.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #1376

Quote:
Originally Posted by _nelsonc View Post
I had my coach (2000 Coachmen Mirada 340mbs) in for brake service yesterday and my shop (Akron Wheel and Frame) was kind enough to do the Cheap Handling Fix on my coach for a bit more than $50. One thing we noticed on my unit was a similar bracket on the front and rear sway bars. The rear could be flipped around which is what I have seen others do, but the front one could not be as it would hit the link. We ended up leaving it off. Jim thought the bracket added strength to the sway bar and was leery of leaving it off, but I showed him the pictures in this thread where there is no bracket on the front so he left it off. I have a 1500 mile trip coming up this weekend so I guess I'll know pretty soon if this fix is as good as everyone says it is. I can attest that the 5 Star Tune everyone talks about is a real winner, so I am sure this will be awesome as well. Thanks to those who discovered and shared this tip!!!
I just want to say that the ride of my Mirada was much improved after CHF. I did notice a couple of thumps or knocks at low speed, but it only happened twice when taking off on very rough ground. Bolts are tight and bushings look good.

As a contrast, I test drove a 2011 Allegro Open Road 34tga Satursay and it was shockingly tippy after driving it back to back with my coach. It also gave me motion sickness after just a few miles but I felt fine after driving 700 miles on Easter Sunday in mine.

I also love the 5 Star Tune, but that is for another thread.
_nelsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #1377

Tiffin Owners Club
Just a follow up report. I did the "fix' and took a trip to Flordia back in Feburary. I did a post when I returned about how please I was. Since then my son took his family to Williamsburg and he was impressed with the difference.
He had trouble with one of the rear jacks. When he got home I went under the rear to check the jack and make sure the sway bar bolts were still tight. I found one of the shocks leaking. Got on the computer and ordered 4 new Bilstiens.
It turned out to be a much easier install then I had thought. Now with the "Fix" and new shocks what a difference.
Just for info I have a 35ft Georgie Boy on a 2001 F53 Chassis.
Thanks again for all the great info you guys put out.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #1378

Thor Owners Club
Just finished the rear CHF and ride is better yet. Considering installing rear Ultra Trac sway bar. Any experience/advice appreciated.
Following MO Tiger football, baseball and softball is easier than ever.
Thanks again to all who went before.
jhojho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #1379

I built my own rear trac back out of spare stock in my attic and back yard during last summer. I hadn't driven more than 10 miles without either, so can't tell which helped the most. I suspect from the posts that the anti-sway mod was the most beneficial. I left the "T" channel rib on for strength. The hardware is all 1/2" and the plate and frame backet are 3/8"

Have you voted? It's multiple choice and you can't fail.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #1380

Thor Owners Club
Dunner, yes, voted after experiencing the tremendous improvement with the front CHF. Do not have the skills, tools nor material make a trac bar so will have to rely on a commercial model.
Thanks again.
jhojho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #1381

Do the rear CHF before spending any money on a new trac bar. You may not need it. I can't say I notice a great difference with my trac bar. I had the parts laying round and threw it together one weekend.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #1382

Once again, Dunner goes to The Attic and finds cool stuff.

Let's have the next rally near Dunner so he can give attic tours.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #1383

I need to take at least a visual inventory of what's up there. Might even be a body.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #1384

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I finally got around to doing the rear CHF today. Used Hellwig links to keep the sway bar at the same angle but there was not much of a difference in the angle, only about 1". I did notice that the bottom grommets on the OEM links were a littler deteriorated but were much heavier than the Hellwigs. I did use the OEM Z brackets so I had to open up the Hellwig grommet sleeves a smidge but all went well. The new links are 11 1/4 " o/c.
We'll see how the MH handles on the next trip
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #1385

If you just do the front will you notice the difference? Trying to just do as little as possible till we get this whole thing figured out.
Thanks
bjburkhalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #1386

What's to figure out? It only take 15 mins more to do the rear.