Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #1513

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Nope, but without one you'd probably want a fairly long 1/2" drive flex bar.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #1514

An air ratchet makes it easier. The bolts on mine are interference fit and don't just spin off. You have to crank them all the way off/on.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
An air ratchet makes it easier. The bolts on mine are interference fit and don't just spin off. You have to crank them all the way off/on.
Just be careful with air ratchet. Nuts can heat up taking them off too fast. I have broken bolts off with them. Especially if were put on with red thread locker.

at
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #1516

Good point, but even with an air ratchet, they don't come off fast, and these are torqued to 66 ' #s. They do get warm but both the nut and bolt are expanding, so it is pretty much constant. ...and mine weren't put on with locker.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #1517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Good point, but even with an air ratchet, they don't come off fast, and these are torqued to 66 ' #s. They do get warm but both the nut and bolt are expanding, so it is pretty much constant. ...and mine weren't put on with locker.
It was mainly rear track bar install on rear axle housing that had lots of red threadlocker. I like to go slow with a breaker bar first to loosen. After breaking a few bolts off on my farm equipment with an air wrench I became a little more cautious with their use. Sometimes using easyouts can be time consuming.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #1518

Other changes

Okay, I think I've read this entire thread over a few visits and am sold on trying the CHF, but I'm curious about one thing:

Ford had to have some reason to design the initial configuration as they did. Like all suspension designs, there was probably a compromise made in some other aspect of handling to arrive at the final specs.(You gain something in one area and lose something in another.) Does anyone notice any other changes in handling after making the CHF?
Okiedoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #1519

I've read and participated in most all discussions, and I don't recall anyone having posted of ill handling.

Check out my Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Have you voted? at the bottom of my sig. Also a good read from those who have done it. One person (0.62%) posted "It not did help", but I think I know who that was, and it was done in spite. 3 (1.62%) people thought it was unsafe, but I doubt they even did it, and may not have even looked at their bars.

Since it is multiple choice, who knows who posted where? I had the choice to leave that option enabled, but didn't.

Some had the fix done by a Ford Dealership for $100-$200. Don't know if it was because they knew it was safe or for profit margin.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #1520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiedoke View Post
Okay, I think I've read this entire thread over a few visits and am sold on trying the CHF, but I'm curious about one thing:

Ford had to have some reason to design the initial configuration as they did. Like all suspension designs, there was probably a compromise made in some other aspect of handling to arrive at the final specs.(You gain something in one area and lose something in another.) Does anyone notice any other changes in handling after making the CHF?
When Ford builds these chassis they know a MH is going to go on it. I doubt they know which model or center of gravity etc. I suspect that is why many of the mods help handling. I don't think Ford could possibly calculate in every different rv box that is going to sit on that chassis.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #1521

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiedoke View Post

I'm not sure if I'm addressing your thoughts, but these are mine. The present day SB design began in 1999. Previous to that, the SB end was facing vertical and the link attached into a single hole. My thoughts on the two hole design, because it was horizontal, they used the 2nd hole just for the Z bracket for extra strength. It's wasn't just a few years later they quit using Z brackets, most likely they found it wasn't necessary and saved a few bucks. I can only assume because of newly designed chassis and V10 engine, it was somehow necessary to change the SB configuration. Ford did not make a 1998 Chassis, they skipped that year. So all 1997 and earlier were 460s and 1999 and later v10s. Other than that aspect, I agree with wyorancher, Ford builds chassis for MHs with various weight ratings and that's about all they can do.

As far as other handling changes, no. By their very design, they can only control sway/roll of the body.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #1522

Ford Super Duty Owner
I thought it was pointed out somewhere in the thread that since all Ford F-53 chassis come from the factory with the link in the outer hole on the SB Ford had decided to give the owner perhaps a softer ride. Maybe it's one of those things where the engineers just don't drive the coaches so they don't really know how much the CHF does improve handling and ride comfort. If they did they might start doing it at the factory.

JMTCW
TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #1523

The inside hole was there to mount the Z bracket, which I have.
What we're doing is changing something, that was never meant to be changed.
Look at the poll. The worst thing that can happen is you snap your bar. Aparently thats never happened.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #1524

Did the CHF on the front of my 07 Georgetown last fall. Just a quick ride to gas up for winter storage and could tell things were much better. Looked at the back at that time and didn't like what I saw....so ordered new poly bushings at 7,000 miles. Today I did the rear chf and changed the bushings. Havent had it out yet but am hoping for at least 50% better handling over what I felt last fall before putting it to bed for the winter. Couple of bushing pics. Remember....7000 miles. Jaye(Mn)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0150.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	38760   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0151.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	38761  

Mnflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #1525

Yep, your bushings are shot.
Replace them with polly bushings.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #1526

No idea why, my sway bar bushings are 1999 and look like brand new !