Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2017, 06:07 AM   #4243

Ford Super Duty Owner
Great job!!! Love it when a plan comes together!!!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #4244

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Great job!!! Love it when a plan comes together!!!!!
Thanks TeJay for all the help and suggestions

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #4245

Just to add a small point. Once i removed the bolts freeing up the sway bar i could not move the bar up or down. The nonlubed bushings had a firm grip on the bar. After lubing and installed the bar it moved freely and i had to use a 4x10 block to support the bar while marking the holes
FMCA # F464385
Old 02-21-2017, 09:05 AM   #4246

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Just to add a small point. Once i removed the bolts freeing up the sway bar i could not move the bar up or down. The nonlubed bushings had a firm grip on the bar. After lubing and installed the bar it moved freely and i had to use a 4x10 block to support the bar while marking the holes
What did you use to lube them? I considered spritzing them with some silicone spray, but I was racing the rain and decided maybe later.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:10 AM   #4247

I got 4 small tubes of super lube on ebay. Its made for poly bushing. One tube per bushing. Put it on the rears when i installed my rear trac bar

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 02-21-2017, 05:13 PM   #4248

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ed,
You have to use a poly lube and not just any grease. Amazon sells some but i found it difficult to find locally.

It is not one of those lubes that has to be done every year. I'm guessing about every 8-10 years. Might as well do it correctly.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:53 PM   #4249

Quote:
Ed,
You have to use a poly lube and not just any grease. Amazon sells some but i found it difficult to find locally.

It is not one of those lubes that has to be done every year. I'm guessing about every 8-10 years. Might as well do it correctly.
Thank you, sir. My unit is new, so I won't concern myself with it for a while. I wasn't going to use any sort of petroleum product on it but wondered it silicone spray on it from time to time would be beneficial.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:02 AM   #4250

Ford Super Duty Owner
ED,

The silicone spray I'm sure is OK but just because your unit is new means nothing. My bushings were dry when I decided to lube them. I've read about a few owners who assumed the same and were wrong. Ford does not lube them from the factory.

That's just one of those things that Ford does not believe it's necessary so they don't do it. WHY??? The poly is probably 10 X's better than the soy bean oils based rubber they used from 1999 until they switched to poly on the 2012 chassis. For that very reason I'm sure Ford decided not to use any lubrication on them.

Initially I was going to replace my stock bushing with poly and Skuterdude told me that I already had poly because Ford switched in 2012. He makes and sells poly replacement bushings on this forum and includes lube when he sells a set.

I added some lube because I'm a bit anal when it comes to using the best lubricants available and doing what is recommended for the best performance.

Following your plan I'm sure is just fine. Even using no lubricant I'm sure the bushings will last a long time. I'm just a bit anal when it comes to lubricants and doing what is recommended for the best performance. I used 303 Aerospace Protectorate before I found out about the poly lube. 303 is one of the best overall liquid products I've ever used.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:42 PM   #4251

Quote:
ED,

The silicone spray I'm sure is OK but just because your unit is new means nothing. My bushings were dry when I decided to lube them. I've read about a few owners who assumed the same and were wrong. Ford does not lube them from the factory.

That's just one of those things that Ford does not believe it's necessary so they don't do it. WHY??? The poly is probably 10 X's better than the soy bean oils based rubber they used from 1999 until they switched to poly on the 2012 chassis. For that very reason I'm sure Ford decided not to use any lubrication on them.

Initially I was going to replace my stock bushing with poly and Skuterdude told me that I already had poly because Ford switched in 2012. He makes and sells poly replacement bushings on this forum and includes lube when he sells a set.

I added some lube because I'm a bit anal when it comes to using the best lubricants available and doing what is recommended for the best performance.

Following your plan I'm sure is just fine. Even using no lubricant I'm sure the bushings will last a long time. I'm just a bit anal when it comes to lubricants and doing what is recommended for the best performance. I used 303 Aerospace Protectorate before I found out about the poly lube. 303 is one of the best overall liquid products I've ever used.
Thanks for the info. They are definitely dry.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:01 PM   #4252

Installed the brackets today. I didnt do a great job of marking where the chf holes should be. They look a little past where they should be. But everything lined up great. Didnt need the jack to raise one side at all. I might add another hole if i dont like the ride

JerryClick image for larger version

Name:	20170224_104517.jpeg
Views:	242
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	152899Click image for larger version

Name:	20170224_104209.jpeg
Views:	219
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	152900
FMCA # F464385
Old 02-24-2017, 07:20 PM   #4253

Ford Super Duty Owner
I currently have mine set at 1" more than the CHF position. Your's is very close to where I have ours set. We've driven more than 5,000 miles and have not had any so called harshness increase in the ride and no technical or mechanical issues since changing it to that position.

From the pics your SB looks level.

You will be the judge.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:34 PM   #4254

The bars are still raised in the front a bit. My driveway is sloped a little
FMCA # F464385
Old 02-24-2017, 09:36 PM   #4255

Thanks again for all the helpful info TeJay
FMCA # F464385
Old 02-25-2017, 03:23 PM   #4256

Ford Super Duty Owner
You could disconnect the links, level the SB, mark and re-drill new holes. The plates do allow a lot more adjustment if you want or need it. As it is I'm sure it will be just fine.