Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2019, 09:34 PM   #5909

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
It's good either way. Many have just done the CHF and all is well. I made the adjustable plates so SWAY could be changed to more than one position. I also realize most will select either the CHF position or the additional hole 1" greater.

Many of us during the early months of the CHF didn't like the angle that was created. We felt it caused added strain on the link bushings. Hence the extensions and plate ideas came into being. The point is the F-53 is much better to drive with the CHF and the other choices are just that choices. Any of the choices worked well and there's no apparent extra wear with bushings or links with any of the choices. Nothing is breaking and nothing is falling off even after 30,000 to 40,000 plus miles as many of us have on our rigs.

If I'm not mistaken even John McKinley has only just done what he originally did back in the summer of 2010 which was to move the links.

As one who likes to tinker and try to improve almost anything that we buy I feel good just making small improvements in anything. It's often what gets me out of bed and into the shop to tinker. While traveling the mind is constantly thinking of what's the next project and how can it be made better.

I've got another idea for an improved suspension front and rear that won't cost an arm and a leg and could/should significantly improve the F-53 ride. I've got some parts and working on a finished design. A prototype should be ready for install before the end of the year if we get some temps above 40 degrees.

I'll share more when I have something to show and when I have a better idea on how its going to work. Based on my research so far nobody has done anything like this. That's all I'm saying for now!!!

I'm in for whatever that may be!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2019, 09:40 AM   #5910

Hello Tejay. I have done the CHF on my 2015 Adventurer. It was noticeable what it did for the sway. However, I get a knocking (medal on medal) with a max sway such as coming off of a driveway. Will your brackets eliminate this and can I purchase these brackets somewhere.
Thanks.
Tom
Primetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:44 PM   #5911

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tom,

When the sway control is working overtime as when going from two uneven road surfaces the greatest amount of movement will be in and around the link ends.

First I'd do a close look at the link ends to determine if a link bolt is hitting the leaf spring. To get a metal on metal noise does not usually happen unless a bolt was installed with the nut end close to a leaf spring. You should see scrape marks if that's causing the noise.

The only other noise we have had reported after the CHF has been a creaking or squeaking noise which is usually because the link bolts were not torqued correctly.

The advantage of the plates are three fold.

1. You have 3 more choices of sway control.
2. The plates will extend your links close to 3" which keeps the link and SB angles closer to 90 degrees.
3. The last advantage is your wheels will not come off the ground as soon when trying to level if your CG sight is one that may require raising up higher than normal.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:46 PM   #5912

Added aftermarket Sway Pro Plus steering damper, and tossed the junk factory unit. Pricey, but major handling improvement. Class C Coachman Concord., E450 Chases. 14000 lbs.
Gforceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:09 PM   #5913

I got the CHF done last week and was really impressed as to how it handles now. None of that rocking back and forth when you go at an angle across a dip and stuff flying out of the cupboards. It takes the corners a lot faster. This thing scared me a few times when I first got it til I realized that it wouldn't corner like a semi but all's better now.
Today I finished up the rear track bar and took it out on the interstate to let a couple of semis pass me and see if they could blow me off the road. There is quite a difference now. I can drive with one hand and don/t have to worry about them coming around. Here's some pics of what I built.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0007.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	267733   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	267734  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	267735  

91 Metro Convertible 91 Suzuki Sidekick and 92 Suzuki Swift GT toads
givemeaboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:16 PM   #5914

Ford Super Duty Owner
Nice build and I'm sure it will work as planned. That's very similar to my first attempt at a DIY rear TB.

I'm sure the 3/8" plate will do the job. Just check the bolts from time to time. I've switched to RED lock tight. Some of the bolts did loosen up since I checked them in the spring. Don't want that happening again. I also used longer bolts to assure more threads were being used.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:56 AM   #5915

Here's a post I made on another thread. It's post #41. Thought some might find it of some value on here too.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/f53-f...-467582-3.html
Old 12-21-2019, 02:06 PM   #5916

TeJay, I got the plates one day last week and keep forgetting to thank you online. They look very well made -- nice job. Weather around here should be nice next week, and I'm going to slide under there and install.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:02 PM   #5917

I did the Cheap Handling Fix right before our Christmas Vacation trip to Florida. The handling and stability improvement was impressive. One hand on the steering wheel stress free driving for 1000 miles. It handles like a different coach. No odd noises or issues as long as you are on a fairly level site while leveling.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:31 PM   #5918

Ford Super Duty Owner
My question is simple....why would Ford not make this move on the coach chassis before hand.
It really takes some adventurous rv owners to modify the rigs.
What are the side effects of such s modification?
Tlmr4784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:31 PM   #5919
NXR

Cheap Handling Fix

Quote:
My question is simple....why would Ford not make this move on the coach chassis before hand.

It really takes some adventurous rv owners to modify the rigs.

What are the side effects of such s modification?

Ford just builds the “stripped chassis” and has no idea what will get piled on top of it or how it will be mounted. How high, how wide, how heavy, the weight distribution, etc.

The current chassis has received incremental upgrades for about twenty years. In the new 2020 chassis redo they are installing a heavier sway bar (per articles) so apparently they do recognize an area of improvement was needed.

Ray
Old 01-12-2020, 10:29 AM   #5920

Ford Super Duty Owner
NXR is correct in all of his assessments. IMO! Ford an many manufacturers have to make $$$$ and the more they make the happier everybody is. As long as safety isn't compromised they will make improvements as long as they can still show a good profit.

Timr4784, So far the MODS made to the chassis SWAY control system has not created any weaknesses. Even areas where a weakness was perceived it has not turned into a reality.

There is one area that has been a weakness. The rear stabilizer bar attaching differential bracket bolts are coming loose on old and new RV's. This has happened on 1999 up through 2017, 2018 and maybe newer chassis. Ford has yet to admit or address the issue. If your chassis is under warranty they will fix it.

If you are the only game in town as Ford is the only GAS RV chassis they don't have to do anything unless they can fit it into their profit goals. Who can blame them?? I've worked in the automotive plants in Detroit and also know a lot of folks who did as well. As with many things in life you choose carefully your battles.

I worked along side guys who did drugs on their lunch break. They got away with it because of the unions. They just barely did what they had to do to keep their jobs and nothing more. You don't screw with the unions.

If I finished a job and asked for more work I got in trouble with other workers. I made them look bad. You could not work hard or above the minimum. It was forbidden unless you wanted your a$$ kicked or your vehicle keyed in the parking lot after worked.

I worked in assembly and steel plants. The assembly plants will turn your brain into jello based on no need to use it. Your opinion means nothing. The steel plants were better but don't think outside the box. You will make a Foreman look bad.

Saving a dime on a vehicle really adds up. The same is true if you make an improvement. It cuts into the profit so changes take place as they can build them into the profit margin.

Ford only does the minimum to stay ahead. The 2020 changes have been made with more than the RV chassis in mind. New engine and transmission will likely be seen in other lines as well. If I'm not mistaken the V-10 was out long before the RV chassis came out in about 1999. Maybe the RV chassis is their test bed to determine the weak areas and how they will plan to make the needed changes as they crop up.

As with all this stuff we'll see down the road.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:10 PM   #5921

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The F53 RV Chassis was produced long before the V10 came. The earlier F53 chassis had the 460 V8 for many years up to 1997. There was no 1998 chassis built while they retooled for the new designed 1999 F53 chassis the V10 was installed in.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:59 AM   #5922

Ford Super Duty Owner
Old post.....
How has this fix been serving you so far?
Maybe you moved to different rig by now...but, hoe did the mod fair overall.
Tlmr4784 is offline   Reply With Quote